Can You Spot A Jehovah's Witness???

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Are you able to tell if someone is a JW just by looking or listening to a person? What are the give away signs that make you just KNOW that they're a Witness?

• blondie
    blondie

Not always by the way the look, many Mormons and Baptists are very clean-cut.

Listening sometimes, "Jehovah" is a tip-off. Although I have heard Baptists call God, Jehovah.

I remember being in a restaurant and a sister saw a family pray before their meal. She said, "they must be witnesses" assuming no one else prays before a meal. I mentioned that I had seen them come in and pointed out the van they got out of, "Mount Calvary Baptist Church."

"Oh," she said and continued eating without any further comment.

Blondie

• Mulan
    Mulan

Sometimes..............it depends on where they are. A car load, getting out of the car in a neighborhood, I usually can tell.

My brother, on the other hand, can spot a Mormon at 80 paces I think. He is usually right too. He was here one night when I was watching Ken Jennings on Jeopardy. (my brother seldom watches TV so had never seen Jeopardy that he could remember) So I was telling him about Ken's remarkable mind, and when he came on screen, my bro said "he looks like a Mormon", and I dissolved in laughter. He was soooo right.

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

Depends on what sight I've got fitted and how far away they are.

• indoubt
    indoubt

Last year, we rented a beach-front condo. The owner told us that their cleaning people would meet us at a specific time to give us the keys.

... cleaning person = 15% chances of being a witness.

We were to meet in front of the condo at 12:30pm on a Sunday. When the cleaning person showed up, he was dressed in a suit, clean shaved, etc.

... cleaning person + suit on a Sunday = 50% chances of being a witness.

But I wanted more proof before jumping to conclusions...

6 days later (Saturday evening), the phone rings at the condo. It's the cleaning person. He asks me when we should meet on Sunday so he can get the keys back.

I propose 10:30am... He says: "could we meet at around 9am instead... we have a meeting starting at 10am".

... cleaning person + suit on a Sunday + using the word "meeting" on a Sunday = 90% chances of being a witness.

But I wanted more proof...

The cleaning person came at the condo at 9am sharp. I was downstairs loading the car. When I came back to the condo, I see the "cleaning person" talking to my wife with JW litterature in his hands.

... cleaning person + suit on a Sunday + using the word "meeting" on a Sunday + JW litterature in his hands = 100% chances of being a witness.

indoubt

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Spotting JWs can be easy... or difficult. It depends on the time of day... and sometimes on hearing bits of conversation.

But - like has already been mentioned - JWs are not the only ones that pray before meals in public.

Usually suits and dresses on weekends... or other times of the week - in the evenings... especially the young ones.

I can usually spot 'em, and used to do it as a hobby... but am trying less and less nowadays. My hobbies are changing.

Regards,

Jim TX

• freedom96
    freedom96

After so much time being involved with witnesses, I think it is fairly easy for any of us to pick one out of the crowd. I spotted several yesterday at Costco. Perfect time from coming out of the Sunday meeting.

• franklin J
    franklin J

yes, is not very hard.

They usually are beyond the "clean cut" image. Most people where I live flaunt the "clean cut" image as an expression of an affluent lifestyle ( think of all those "Ralph Lauren " commercials ) . But the JWs have a decidedly different look.... cheap vinyl bookbags say much.

Due to the low economics of which the religion endorses; most worshippers look like the "low end" of the economic scale.

Once they open their mouth it is a dead giveaway because they have so much "bravado" about their message. Namely that they THINK they have the answers and you dont.

• twolips
    twolips

I live in a smaller tourist area. Very casual.

So seeing three men in a four door sedan is very unusaul. I can't help but wonder who's in trouble now.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul
    Mulan: "he looks like a Mormon"

Smaller gene pool? (<ick!>)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit