The King James Version is Perfect

by blabbermouth 81 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blabbermouth
    blabbermouth

I don't know about anybody else,but I love the beautiful King James Version.It contains no error and is perfect.There are no mistranslations in it,and none can be proven.I don't read or study anything else for spirituality.Im like a tree that is planted by the water,I shall not be moved,AMEN,AMEN,Hallelujah,Praise Jesus!!!!!

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have read from several different bibles, and I enjoy most better that the WTS version. I personally like the study bibles, with information on the sides of the scriptures.

Any religion that has its own bible, is suspect in my eyes.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Troll Alert

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Troll Alert

OR NUT ALERT...call out the wagon !!!!!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Any religion that has its own bible, is suspect in my eyes

If this thread does nothing else, it produced this obvious but profound bit of reasoning. Having such rules in your mind for judging the next thing coming down the road is invaluable.

Dave

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

i think you'll find it rare to see a scholar use the KJV when they can use the new international version, good news, or new jeruselem bible. and from what i have seen it is almost as biased as the New World translation

• helios
    helios

No version is perfect. All are a product of imperfect men. I note many churches in the USA seem to confer on the KJV a kind of almost supernatural glow. Almost as if it dropped from heaven in 1611 into the lap of King James. It is a wonderful version, you have only to read the credentials of the translators. The method of research and translation were truly revolutionary for the time.

BUT it was also a product of the age. There were political pressures at work. The version was not received with total rapture. Some viewed it with extreme caution. All translations will to some degree carry the cultural and theological influences of the age and as an historian and Englishman I can assure you our nation was in a state of rapid change. Many get hooked on the concept of the KJV being the product of using the Received Text. This sounds all very well but the expression refers more to the text received by the individuals producing the basic critical text. Rather than any claim to receiving the orginal, pure, undefiled word of God.

To hold this rather blinkered view is to ignore the wealth of manuscripts we now have available to us. I understand some of the early puritans that left England for the New World refused even to carry the KJV with them on their voyage. Prefering to use the politically incorrect Geneva Bible. Yes in the UK we love the KJV. Some go overboard on it and spend all their time attacking all other translations but rather I feel most moderate well balanced people vierw it as the STANDARD to test other translations by.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

welcome blabbermouth. you've got some really good jokes. but please don't open new threads with this kind of funny stuff.

• Pole
    Pole
    No version is perfect. All are a product of imperfect men.

Actually, I blame God for it :-).

If it hadn't been for the solution he chose to deal with the Babel thing, there would be a single "perfect" version.

The truth about any translation is that the number of different possibilities of rendering a paragraph of text is huge. And if we are talking about a text of the length of the Bible there are trillions of different reasonably correct translations.

If you take the world top 20 English-Spanish translators (there's no such ranking, btw) and tell them to translate this thread, they'll come up with 21 different translations (one of them will have an alternative version) and all of them will be just fine. It will also be possible to pick tiny little holes in each and everyone of them.

And we haven't even started talking about translating from ancient languages.

Cheers,

Pole

• holly
    holly

not so sure i agree with that. i dont think you can have a perfect translation from one language to another. sometimes there is no direct translation - no words that match to translate it over into a different language, so we use the 'next best thing' or 'the nearest we can get'. that is where room for error appears.

i find the king james quite difficult to read. maybe bec English is my second language, and its hard going in its Old English format. i have to ask friends what many of the words mean.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit