Anyone from Washington? Seattle?

by curlygirl 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• curlygirl
    curlygirl

Hey!

I'm new to the site but, would love to talk to other ex JWs in the area.

curlygirl

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Oh yeah, there's a ton of us ex-JWs in Washington state. We usually have one or two parties a year. I live on the other side of the state, but there are many that do live in or near Seattle.

Welcome to the board!

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Well, please accept a "Welcome!" even if it is from someone who is nowhere close to Washington State!

<mutters under breath>I see my arch-nemesis is back!</scribbles plans for a device to take care of drwatsn once and for all!>

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Hey Curly! I live in Kent, welcome to the site! Love to chat anytime! We have get-togethers on a regular basis around here so stick around and we're sure to plan one soon!

Sherry

• under74
    under74

That's my hometown.

Welcome to the forum curlygirl.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I live in Lower Queen Anne and work in Pioneer Square.

• kat2u
    kat2u

IM across the water from seattle but very close. WELCOME!

• curlygirl
    curlygirl

I'm from Spokane originally but moved to the Everett area. I'm not a bitter exJW but, I do have some issues that will most likely haunt me for the rest of my life. I can't describe the sense of peace that I've gained simply by not attending meetings! About half of my family is still associated with the JWs and I've made it clear to them that I think sincere love and concern is missing from the org. How can they argue with that? At first they all wanted to say that someone must have stumbled me------I find that concept soooooo offensive. It implies weakness and it takes the opposite of that to leave the only thing you've ever known. Anyway, I love life and am having a blast and looking forward to making some new friends here!!

Curlygirl

• codeblue
    codeblue

Welcome

Enjoyed hearing from you....I am sending you a pm!

CodeBlue

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hello and welcome, curlygirl!

At first they all wanted to say that someone must have stumbled me------I find that concept soooooo offensive. It implies weakness and it takes the opposite of that to leave the only thing you've ever known.

My thoughts exactly. For JWs, all doubt is weakness, but in reality, it takes tremendous, gut-wrenching strength to think about issues squarely.

In a related vein, my big revelation came when I realized that JWs want you to be weak, not strong. If you are "weak" and you get DF'd because you "give into fleshly desires," then they have compassion and hope. But if you are emotionally healthy, in charge of your life and mind, and you say, "I've thought carefully about this matter, and it is not true," then you are an apostate.

Or in conversations as a Witness, if you talk about your weaknesses, you're sure to get a lot of empathy. "This old world, it's so tough," etc, etc. But if you are a strong, mature person, you won't find much good company, and you'll be viewed with suspicion. To a JW, weak = righteous, strong = evil.

Yes, I live in Seatle. I'm near Northgate Mall. Sending you a PM...

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit