Going to my first meeting this morning

by Bug 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis
    You all seem to think that I'm just going to convert over night and that I am stupid enough to not doing any research.

nope, just giving you a heads up that's all! I'm sure if you spend enough time here you will find lots of encouragement. You will also find people who have a myriad of opinions on Jehovah's Witnesses. Some good and unfortunately a lot not so pleasant. At least you have sense enough to know that critical investigation and study is necessary. And maybe check out their early beliefs about women, and other topics here..

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/women.htm

You know the old story of building on a shaky foundation? Well, the Witnesses are no exception.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Badger
    Badger

(((Bug)))

Welcome to the forum. Yes, a lot of us have negative things to say about the organization. Why, would you ask, would an internet site that labels itself a Jehovah's Witness discussion board have an overwhelming slant in it from its posters?

Simple: The Witnesses frown on an honest, critical discussion of their doctrines, dogma and practices.

If they can't personally regulate it from their highest reaches, they discourage it.

They will ask you to examine your own faith and other religions with an investigative eye. They will not even tolerate similar scrutiny.

The reason for this is simple: Witness dogma doesn't hold up. They have changed their tune about prophecies, their standards of morality, neutrality and even the nature of the Bible so often, and then conveniently label it "new light", all the while forbidding any individual research.

A lot of us have posted stories about our time in their organization. here's a link to those:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/32/76992/1.ashx

God Bless,

Badger

• clementine
    clementine
    you all seem to think that I'm just going to convert over night and that I'm stupid enough to not doing any research

that's not that Bug.. How many of us did convert and are hurt now?? it's just a piece of advice... we just want to prevent you from being hurt too.

hope your researches will be successfull!

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Hi Bug,

Welcome to JWD! Hope you stay around and read some of the posts in the 'archives' which are just older post threads.

I have some questions that I hope you will answer.

1. How did you become interested in the JW faith?

2. Are you currently studying with one of them?

3. What inspired your interest in attending your first KH meeting today? Did someone 'invite' you to go?

You may want to begin your research with this Web Site:

Jehovah's Witnesses: An Analysis of JW Beliefs

Here is an outline that will help you to study the Bible within its own context - no outside puvlications needed.

A Bible Study Outline

These two contain many links to important information regarding the Watchtower Society.

NewLight2's Links Page

Johannes Greber's Home Page

Here is one that deals with Mind Control and Cults
    Mind Control - The BITE Model

NewLight2

• Daughter of Freedom
    Daughter of Freedom
    I did come here looking for support and guidance and while I have been given that, it all seems to have been negative

Sorry bug, but this site is obviously where a lot of ex JWs who've had some REALLY bad experiences come to try and comfort each other I suppose, so would you rather all the advice you'd had been lies? I don't want to offend you at all, but if you want to know the truth about JWs then stay and read on. If you want JW encouragement I would say (at a guess) that you are probably in the wrong place. You can do as much research as you like, but I (at the risk of AFIN taking a nark) will be honest and advise you to stay well away from the brainwashing controlling cult that is the JW organisation. Unless you never want to have a single free thought of your own of course!

The Thinker

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Bug,

Please ignore 'a friend in need'. She is just here to 'put in her service time'. She claims to be an active JW but yet she hurls insults at posters who only ask her to quote the scriptual proof for the core doctrine of JW's - that being the authority of the Governing Body. Why not read the following thread, even though it is very long, it is worth the time and effort:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/84617/1.ashx

It might be well if you did a little research into the topic of the FDS doctrine, too.

Ask yourself the same questions that OldSoul was asking and accept only the answers that come from scripture itself - not the publications that are printed by the Watchtower Society.

NewLight2

• holly
    holly

hey bug

i think if you look through many of the posts you will find you are just advised to do lots of research. at least that way if you make a choice to become a jw, you can say you looked at it from all angles. we dont know anything about you, so no one would assume you would convert after just one meeting - youd have to wait for months of study anyway before you could be baptised.

many people on here have had negative experiences, so thats what you hear. if i was registered on a board for ex members of the pentecostal church, you would probably hear lots of criticism for me.

people are just looking out for you. most people arent telling you not to do it. just step wisely and slowly, thats all.

best of luck, whatever you decide

holly

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Welcome to this wonderful healing, and fun place.

Here's what you can expect:

1- Love bombing.

2- More love bombing.

3- Extra love bombing.

Proceed with caution.

DY

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

You might wanna start bringing a pillow to the meetings. You'll notice sleep apnea setting in after a while.

Also, if you want to learn more about the Watchtower Society, check out http://www.freeminds.org

• jgnat
    jgnat

I would like to hear more about bug's first meeting experience. Were you met at the door? Did somebody explain what to expect through the service? Did you feel comfortable enough to comment? Was there live music or was it taped? Did you have your own magazine, or did somebody lend you theirs? How many children and teenagers were in attendance? How many your own age are attending? How many introduced themselves after the meeting, and, did any one ask for your phone number?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit