Can you comment on this story WITHOUT being negative?

by nicolaou 48 Replies latest social relationships

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Just for a moment try not to be a bitter, twisted, hate spewing apostate and read this......

Scottsdale pair to celebrate 75th

By Erin Concors, Tribune

Jerry and Crystal Baxter still look back on their first major argument as newlyweds and laugh.
    It was 1930, and while money was tight, Crystal couldn?t resist buying a $90 radio on credit from a door-to-door salesman.

Jerry protested the purchase. "I was raised with the idea of not being in debt for something," he said. "If we wanted something, we paid cash for it."

Crystal returned the radio, and Jerry took her to a local Sears, where he bought her a similar radio for $30.

The Scottsdale couple reflected on that and other memories Friday in their Scottsdale home, where Sunday they will quietly celebrate their 75th anniversary, receiving calls and visits from friends. The Baxters said their faith as Jehovah?s Witnesses and shared belief in the Bible have been their keys to a strong marriage.

"We?ve been loyal to each other, and that?s a very, very important trait," said Crystal, 91. "My husband has been very kind and has always treated me with respect."

The couple met in 1929 in Cleveland. Crystal, then 16, was working as a dental assistant by day and finishing high school at night. Jerry, 19, worked for Shell Oil Co. training gas station attendants.

Jerry, now 94, rented an apartment with his sister on the second floor of the home owned by Crystal?s parents. Her mother made an effort to introduce the couple, she said.

"When I first met him, I had just cleaned the house, and I was down on my knees scrubbing the fireplace," Crystal said. "Suddenly there he was ? in a beautiful overcoat, derby hat, pigskin gloves and spats."

The pair began dating and soon were inseparable. The couple said their parents initially opposed the marriage, but Crystal?s mother eventually consented.

In 1947, the Baxters moved to Phoenix, where Jerry took a job with Arizona Public Service Co. leading a paint crew. They moved to Scottsdale in 1958 and helped found the first Kingdom Hall of Jehovah?s Witnesses there in 1960.

Longtime friend Rosanna Huffines met the couple in 1958, when at age 7, she moved with her parents and siblings to Arizona from New Jersey. The Baxters became like surrogate grandparents to her, she said.

"They definitely have been an example for me," Huffines said. "They?re loving, caring people."

The Baxters have outlived their two sons. David died of a heart attack at 60, and Jerome died of cancer at 55. They have six grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=35909

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Actually, it's a very sweet story. The JWs years ago were quite different from what we see today. I knew of many old-timers that were just like that and were the nicest folks you could know.

Too bad that the same kind of people are few and far between in the Org today.

Annie

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

Wow 75 years!! I cannot imagine being with the same person that long. A rarity, that's for sure.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr
    Just for a moment try not to be a bitter, twisted, hate spewing apostate and read this......

That's easy! They're in their 90's, been married for 75 years, and they're happy. I don't care if they're JW's or not.

Mike.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

It's a wonderful story. Kudos to them

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    their faith as Jehovah?s Witnesses and shared belief in the Bible have been their keys to a strong marriage.

"We?ve been loyal to each other, and that?s a very, very important trait," said Crystal, 91. "My husband has been very kind and has always treated me with respect."

When I first started studying with JW's, I told my dad that it gave me morals. (I was 16). He said, "I hope someday you can have the morals without the religion." My guess would be that this couple would be "loyal" and "respectful" with or without the Watchtower.

Nothing negative here. A successful marriage. I'll drink to that!

Dave

• avishai
  • bikerchic
    bikerchic

75 years good for them! I've heard of them having gone to many District assemblies in the area I've probably even heard Bro. Baxter give talks on the program.

I went to the East Valley Tribune web site and had to laugh at the google ads at the bottom:

advertisement

Jehovah's Witnesses for sale?......wanna buy one? LOL

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am not usually a romantic type - but this was aa lovely story and a pleasure to read

• Preston
    Preston

I actually met the Baxters a few times at our circuit asemblies. When my parents first moved out to AZ and they got their first house in Scottsdale in the early 70's their bookstudy was at their house. Jerry uses a walker now. They are a very sweet couple actually and I think they still go to the Chaparral congregation methinks. Glad to know they got some recognition....

- Preston

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit