What obligation do you feel towards your family who are still in?

by czarofmischief 15 Replies latest jw friends

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Obligation? No, although I would like her to know and understand the real truth... but she would much rather live in her alternate JW universe.

I think a lot of JWs actually want it to be true, they will risk their whole lives filled with hope, rather than find out for sure.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

My parents aren't stupid. They've lived through the doctrinal flip-flops (including '75), and they've personally experienced the depths of the corruption of the organization. They've decided to stay anyway. There's nothing I could tell them that they haven't seen or heard.

Also, to their credit, they don't raise the subject of religion in our (very infrequent) conversations. I owe them the same respect I want for myself.

My mother-in-law, on the other hand, will occasionally throw in a subtle bit of JW apologia. When she does, I try to respond with an equally indirect counter. But I never raise the subject myself. IMHO, it's the only way to keep even a remnant of a relationship.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Oh well ... just be there when they need me ...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I feel obliged to my parents to treat them with respect. But that in no way means I have to respect their religion. They have their belief and I have mine.

Josie

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

A great obligation and that is why I am still in

• DHL
    DHL

In my opinion everybody has the right to pursue their own happiness.

I don't want my love for my parents to be as conditional as their love for me. I don't want to sink down to their level.

So I stay away from preaching to them about what I believe in and just let them live their life as they want to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit