Having a hard time leaving? Here's what worked for me:

by marked 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• marked
    marked

MOVING.

Move away from the situation, if at all possible. Have a job offer in another state/province/country? Take it. Need to go to school elsewhere? Go. Want to "travel" and never come back? Buy a one-way ticket.

My wife and I moved from one Canadian province to another, and not being around all the "encouragement" really helped us expedite the leaving process. This is not to say it was easy. It wasn't. But just being in a new place helped wipe the proverbial slate clean.

It might seem a bit difficult given certain cases, but at least consider it. Your sanity and/or spiritual health may be at stake. And that's more than reason enough.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yes, I heartily agree....that's what worked for me. :)

• freedom96
    freedom96

Yes, I agree, moving works. It worked for me, though I am still in the general area. But I am 500 miles away from where I spent 18 years of my life in a congregation where everyone knew me.

For some, of course, moving is unrealistic. But for those who can, and want a change of pace anyways, it is great. You can do whatever you want, without having to worry that someone will "catch you" and you won't have to worry about being df'd.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I could not agree more. Well worth any expense in the long run.

Jean

• vitty
    vitty

What do you do when people from your old hall want to visit you and your new cong?

I have this problem as my family and old friends dont know that I dont go anymore

The problem when you move a long way away, is that they want to stay at least a week.

Any suggestions would be helpful, as im expecting at least 2 visits from different couples in the next month.

Tried putting them off, but you cant do that forever

Help!

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

It was only when I moved 200 miles away that I saw the ?Truth? for what it was. In my original congregation I had genuine friends, everything was familiar, it?s hard to see beyond the norm. When I moved everything changed, I could make judgments on people on the inside and outside without any emotional baggage. I decided I liked ?Worldly? people better.

I also remember an elder telling me when speaking about a friend who was moving away ?A move normally makes them or breaks them??very telling.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

?What do you do when people from your old hall want to visit you and your new cong??

Vittvin,
    I don?t think you can hide it indefinitely.

I was the same, I made excuses etc. Eventually they found out. Life has been much easier from that point on.

• ballistic
    ballistic

That is not to say leaving is good for everyone. Some people turn to a perpetual cycle of running away. Looking back - I should have known each time my JW wife wanted to move away was because she had slept with another bloke, and there were lots of them. I'm not bitter.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Nothing to add ...

Want to "travel" and never come back? Buy a one-way ticket.
    (the most important travel maybe ...) the sentence made me laugh
  • Sunspot
    Sunspot

Believe me, if I could have moved---it would have been great! But when you own a home, and hubby isn't a JW and has a steady job, etc, it wouldn't have been practical. I would have given most anything to start over, not have to face the jerks calling on the phone and banging on the door---not to mention the nasty looks every time I happen to see a JW in the market,etc.

But, here I am, 5 1/2 years later, and it doesn't rattle me any more. It's made me stronger and more resiliant! (grin)

But I'd have much rather moved!

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit