Moral Maze: - Fur or Fig Leaves which would you wear?

by eyeslice 20 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

The great fur debate has re-surfaced today with the news that Nelson Mandela wore a fur hat recently.

So here is the question would you ever wear real fur and are there moral implications here? Or are you more of a fig leaf person?

Eyeslice

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

That great fur debate goes even deeper. What about... leather shoes, leather furniture and car upholstry. Handbags, trim, etc? It had once come from a living animal didn't it? But then, again, it is a byproduct of the meat industry.

I understand and appreciate restrictions as to pelt-only animals where the rest of the body is tossed. Even animals bred for their fur. But how about sheepskin? Dog fur from an area where dog is eaten? (yes, dog is eaten in many cultures, and dog/wolf fur resists freezing so is used on parka hoods) Roadkill? (I've seen roadkill turned into some neat useful articles).

How about old furs from times past?

Remember when we had naugahide? It's now extinct as all the baby naugas were killed off. Damned nauga hunters.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I don't think fig leaves would wear well in the Canadian winters, so I'll go with the fur.

Walter

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Can I have diamonds and rubies on my fig leaves? Yes? Then I'll opt for fig leaves.

Actually, I'm allergic to most wool/fur/hairballs/dustbunnies, so I wouldn't be able to wear fur anyhow...

Jean

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I prefer a Toga!

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

Man fig leaves just aint big enough to cover my bad boy I would need a big ol bear skin to cover my blushes

BM

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

brutusmaximus - no bragging here!

• upside/down
    upside/down

I'm an American... I want fur AND fig leaves!

Gluttonous conspicuous consumer,

u/d (of the all things tasty are wrapped in fur class)

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

u/d - you beat me to it (sort of).

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

Why wear anything?

WHich leads me to ask, did you guys ever know anyone that thought we would go naked in the new world since Adam and Even were naked in the Garden? I have known several witnesses who believed this, although no one ever had the courage to say it from the platform.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit