Watchtower Aug. 15, 1968 says to ignore Jesus about tthe time of the end..

by AloneinOh 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I always wondered why the last sentence was included, italicizing knows. Any ideas as to what the point was to be getting across? I've read Greg Stafford's take on it in his book and wasn't very convincing.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    36 Even if one cannot see beyond 1975, is this any reason to be less active? The apostles could not see even this far; they knew nothing about 1975. All they could see was a short time ahead in which to finish the work assigned to them. (1 Pet. 4:7) Hence, there was a ring of alarm and a cry of urgency in all their writings. (Acts 20:20; 2 Tim. 4:2) And rightly so. If they had delayed or dillydallied and had been complacent with the idea the end was some thousands of years off they would never have finished running the race set before them. No, they ran hard and they ran fast, and they won! It was a life or death matter with them.?1 Cor. 9:24; 2 Tim. 4:7; Heb. 12:1.

The word dillydallied clearly proved this to be a Freddy Franz article...He loved words like that.

I believe he also gave a talk that expressed the opinion that alough we may not know the day or hour we do know the YEAR..

Anybody remember that????

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

For those who say that nobody thought 1975 was a big deal, imagine what it was like when we got the August 1, 1968, Watchtower and saw the "Coming in the Next Issue", the title, "Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975?" Then we anxiously wait for the August 15 issue. Then for two weeks we study this magazine. Yes, I was there, and I know it was a big deal. What would you think if the next Watchtower had an article, "Why Are You Looking Forward to 2012?" Or for that matter, 2034?

• steve2
    steve2
    I always wondered why the last sentence was included, italicizing knows.

I remember this quote so well, yet for years I wondered where exactly I had read it in the Watchtower publications. I seem to recollect that some (brothers?) had been accused by the watchtower of saying that because no one knows the day or hour, why were we as JWs emphasising in effect that we do know that we're in the last days. I assumed it was to rub in the difference between our not knowing the exact day or hour, but still knowing these were the last days.

It all sounds so specious and dim now. But to think that it was reasoning like this that I had to endure as a young JW "toying" with the faint prospect of getting a university education. "No" I was told by my JW family - who spoke as one - "We'll be in the new system before you would graduate". End of story, but, frustratingly for them I suspect, not the end of the world.

• Leolaia
  • orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Yes Steve I do believe that.

I think that was in a talk he gave to Gilead graduates. I remember something said to that effect.

Ofc

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

So many young witnesses, or new to the group, will argue tooth and nail that they never said it. I was there though.

Jean

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

I think the most telling symptom of the 1975 craze was this simple legacy:

Very few JWs had children between 1970-1975.

And then, post 1975? A JW baby-boom.

Hmmm...

• steve2
    steve2
    And then, post 1975? A JW baby-boom.

Yes, all that pent-up energy had to go somewhere!! It is telling that, even given the baby-boom, the other post1975 development was the big exodus: Large numbers of new ones who had come into the religion in the imediate years before 1975 faded away - okay, a few went out with a big bang.

Get this: A local couple were "rushed" into the religion just before 1975. They were baptised at the district assembly in 1974. The woman was heavily pregnant at the time. They named their son Justin (no kidding!) because the atmosphere was charged with a sense that they were "just in" time before the great tribulation struck the earth. They drifted away from the religion post 1975. No one was surprised, given the urgent manner in whgich they were whisked into the kingdom hall. Meanwhile their son - wherever he is - is over thirty years old and has a name that delightfully preserves - at least for his parents - their youthful susceptibility to the teachings of a few arrogant crackpots in New York city.

• AloneinOh
    AloneinOh

Yup....I remember it too. Mom and grandma were pioneering and dad was going off to km school. I remember being scared for a while in 75 (I was 11). I also now remember getting up on oct 5&6 and looking out the window to see if it happened. Someone gave a talk at the kh and gave those dates. (starting to remember it more clearly now.....been a loooooong time) Dad told me I would not make it to high school.

For some reason, I don't remember ever asking about it when it didn't happen, or ever bringing it up after that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit