What's the Longest you ever stayed at one door?

by disciple 14 Replies latest jw friends

• disciple
    disciple

We stayed at a door talking bad about the householder and they were listening for 5 minutes.

What's that scripture? About a birdie and a King???

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I used to go on the ministry with an older sister with little sense of timing. On a landing in a flat she used to knock all the doors at once... and then leave me to talk to the householders.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

One of my longest sessions at a door was with a Presbyterain Minister who was arrogant and rude and I showed him scriptures for over two hours and during that time he didn't invite me into his home. My other partners that morning were in the car waiting for me and he sujested that they might like to join us in conversation, so they came to his door and we talked more and then finally he invited us into the foyer of his home and wanted us to sign his Guest Book. Guess what I didn't sign it, but the other two girls did.

Today I sometimes think about those days and wonder to myself why was I trying to convince people I had the truth and yet deep in the recessess of my heart I knew I wanted out of the organization. I was 18 at the time yet I continued in the religion for another 30 years or more.

Orangefatcat.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

About 1 1/2 hours. I remember being so worked up about it, and that the conversation was in regards to the 'false prophet', but couldn't tell you much else.

Funny how you can be so swept up in a conversation and determined to 'save' a person, and yet a few years later not be able to remember anything about the conversation other than the topic.

Jean

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

I remember being in a low income house that smelled like dirty socks for what seemed like a day...talking to a woman wearing no bra and a tweety bird tank top and had a lot of facial hair and spit when she talked....we stayed at her house so long that my butt started to fall asleep on her lawn furniture which he used to furnish her living room.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

2 hours was my record

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

Over an hour at one point but I do not recall why or where. I just remember that I was about 15 or 16 and my companion was about 12 so he was no help at all. :D

Kansas District Overbeer

• freedom96
    freedom96

A friend of mine and I stayed at a door once for nearly 2 hours. We enjoyed speech and debate, and during the summers from school, we would go out in service, and there were several times we would stay at the door for an hour or more.

We were only 17 at the time.

Sad isn't it?

• steve2
    steve2

Oh, about an hour or two, then I reluctantly concluded that the householder mustn't be home. Perhaps a more riveting question would be, What's the longest you ever stayed once the householder allowed you inside? Length of time: Please be specific; Details of activities: Preferred but optional.

• blondie
    blondie

I was invited in at one door. It was a cold, blustery day and I probably should have been home. But I was a regular pioneer and behind in my hours. She got hot cocoa for her and for me. It was then that I realized she was blind. She said she like my voice and wondered if I would read from the Bible to her.

We decided that the book of Matthew would be a good place to start.

I was there for about 3 hours, reading, talking and drinking.

After that I came back by myself twice a week, just to read the Bible for an hour. Of course, we had a few side comments, but I made no attempt to place any literature for the blind.

I guess I was a bad JW even then, not trying to get a formal study started. It was the first time I really understood what it meant to read the Bible and study it.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit