Do you have a better career now that you're out?

by wanderlustguy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Most definitely, Yes! Of course, I had to go back to school and get the demonic paper degree. It was worth the effort though.

Jean

• Badger
    Badger

Before: Cleaning floors 30 hrs. a week @ $6.50 per.

Now: H.S. Teacher, just shy of $40K

Even if you flipped the pay, I'm doing better.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne
    Do you have a better career now that you're out?

Better job, better house, better husband! Better Life!!

~Beck~

• Puternut
    Puternut

I can now work on meeting nights, and have a little christmas tree on my desk when I want to.

Puternut

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Yes much better, challenging and rewarding.

• MonkeyPrincess
    MonkeyPrincess

Oh definatly!!!

I got an awesome job at a Radio Station, i was a Promotions Coordinator. I had to work alot of
    weekends and nights, and promote at clubs and bars, i couldnt beleive i got paid for that job. Anyhow, that
    was all before i became a full time mommy. Had i married in 'the truth' i would never have been able
    to be a full time mommy since we probably wouldnt have been financially stable. My husband had
    the opportunity to go to college, unlike those of us that were dicouraged from attending college.

MonkeyPrincess

• blondie
    blondie

I always made good money when I was a JW. Now I have a very good job with other professionals but I would not say I view it as a career. Most of my jobs have centered around the law in some form or fashion. I have thought about going back and getting my teaching degree. But in my career I have run into many teachers, many frustrated by the bureaucracy.

I think it is important to get the training necessary to get work that supports you and your family and allows you to invest and save for the future. But few people find that all their creativity is developed in work that pays. I know a man who has 2 college degrees but works in a field that pays him less than he could make in other fields because he finds a high level of job satisfaction.

Blondie

• steve2
    steve2

I absolutely do have a better career! I was a part time gardener as a JW and now look at me: A fully qualified and registered clinical psychologist. But I'm much too professional to sound too pleased and proud with myself about the transition. Yeah right!

The words of my JW family will forever ring in my ears (circa 1970): "There's no point in getting a university education. We'll be in the new system by the time you graduate". These people are truly fulfillers of self-defeating prophecies.

• fairchild
    fairchild

I am a nurse, but worked as a travelling juggler/magician for many years. At the time when I rekindled my study with the JW's I had a regular job, but was still performing magic shows on the side. It was good money. In spite of my insisting that the 'magic' was no more than mere sleight of hand, they insisted I should stop, as 'magic' is dissapproved of in the bible. I did stop and missed out on a fine income, but to this day, I still think that a magic show, based on sleight of hand is just another form of working and making a living. It's not like I was using some dark powers of something. Then, I started to write. Although they never told me straight out, I could tell that this too, was being considered a not-so-approved way of making a living.

• steve2
    steve2
    travelling juggler/magician

Sounds really wonderful. I can imagine the JWs raising their eyebrows. All the better, I'd say!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit