Do you have a better career now that you're out?

by wanderlustguy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Just dawned on me that I couldn't do my job if not for leaving. I'm a Director of Marketing for a telecom company and travel the country constantly, different city and state every three months or so. Part of the job is "having" to take people out for drinks and dinner, etc all the time. In a way the org probably taught me how to be a good sales guy, finding common ground so quickly by observing what other people take interest in, etc, and moving the conversation subtly in the direction I want it to go...

So, how about you?

W

• under74
    under74

mmm...I wouldn't say better job. Though, I am in graduate school now and if I were still a JW that wouldn't be even close to where I'd be.

• happy camper
    happy camper

I am a medical assistant, and I have noticed that I am nicer and friendlier to both the people that I work with and the patients. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I no longer think I'm better than the average person. I've learned that people that you come in contact with are really actually nice people, and not the horrible creatures we were taught to believe.

• Gopher
    Gopher

The teachings we learned as JW's included the idea that "true Christians" don't even have "careers" in this "dying world" that we live in. How often did we hear that this world was like a store with a "going out of business" sign out front?

I still have the same kind of job as I did when I was a JW. But now I feel like I actually HAVE a career. I feel more like I belong here in the workplace than I did before, and am less uptight in part because I don't have to feel like I'm "different" and don't have to feel bad about not "informally witnessing" to my workmates.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Totally...dont get me started on this....i was prevented from pursuing my career as a lawyer for years...until of course i left...now im on track...your right though...it does prevent you from going places either academically or commercially...

Good luck to you....oops...shouldnt say good luck should we?

• under74
    under74

Welcome to the forum diamondblue.....you can say "good luck" now.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Good luck to you....oops...shouldnt say good luck should we?
    too late diamond blue : See you in heaven's hell (sorry confusion) Welcome !!!
  • diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

thanks for the welcome...no doubt there will be a lot of us there in heavens hell......how will i know you?!!

• franklin J
    franklin J

wanderlust....sounds like a fun job!

the anwer to your question is yes, I am better off with my career now than when I was a JW

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

When I was "in" I had a 400 square foot duplex apartment with an elder for a neighbor and all of my furniture was borrowed from other JWs. My job as a Network Engineer and Web Developer paid about $22,000 a year.

Now I am doing MUCH MUCH MUCH better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit