having a hard time making friends

by happy camper 35 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Hi HappyCamper.

I had a problem with this too. A couple things helped more than others.

First, see if there is a local group that shares your interests. Anything that you like, acting, rock collecting, books, Highway cleanup, anything that floats your boat! There are a lot of groups that would welcome you unreservedly, and believe me, they are not going to steal your soul and eat you just because they are not JW's.

The other is school. Sign up for a course at a local community college. You'll love it, and you'll learn something. Also, it's a great study in human nature. You sit there and hear new ideas from all kinds of people in a safe classroom setting. Don't know how old you are, but I was 35 when I went back to school, and it was so neat to watch the younger ones 18-20 or so, and compare the way they viewed the world to how I did. Quite enlightening, and sometimes, very entertaining.

Good luck with this!

Jean

• bagpuss
    bagpuss

I think that I was quite lucky as my husband was never a JW so I always had ' worldly ' friends even as an active witness. Having said that I did find it difficult for a while to make new friends as the idea still lurked in the back of my mind that it was wrong. It can be hard to start viewing people as worthwhile human beings and not just worldly people and once you have made that jump it becomes much easier to find and also be a good friend.

What I found a great help was never to label anyone. Trust your own instincts and take people at face value. There are some great people out there. I read something recently that said "there are no strangers here,only friends you haven't met yet"

Get out there and introduce yourself - it's worth it!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Wow...how grateful i am for this thread....I too was brought up in the 'truth' as such...it doesnt teach you much social skills i can tell you...I can totally understand and appreciate where you are coming from on this one.

College and University helped me too....it helped to build a wide social network and slowly but surely if you take an interest in people they (if they are genuine) will take an interest in you...i now have a loving fiance...two closest friends ever...and a wide social circle of friends surrounding these.

It does take effort....but it comes...keep going keep positive.

• Mystery
    Mystery

http://exjw.meetup.com/

Is a site to find other x-jw's in your area. There may be a meeting around you somewhere that you may like to attend.

• Mystery
    Mystery

Edited to add:

try www.meetup.com , search Ex-Jehovah Witnesses

• happy camper
    happy camper

AK Jeff & Mystery,

Thanks for the websites. I'll try them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit