Elders Wives

by Octavia 30 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    and tell her "I really enjoyed the talk"

Funny. Although, I never had any experience with this, Dad always wrote his own talks.

J

• franklin J
    franklin J

my dad ( elder) wrote his own talks; as did I write my own.

My mother just enjoyed her social position as "wife of an elder"...

• CinemaBlend
    CinemaBlend
    Ironically, it happens. If you are not a total boob before you are made an elder, you become one shortly after. Do I sound a little bitter?

Yes you do sound bitter and it is obscuring logical reasoning in this matter

• dh
    dh

Never ever in my life heard anything like that, and I was raised a JW. My mom certainly never helped my dad with any talk, to this day my dad spends most of his free time preparing talks and studying. I cannot imagine any other Elder who would let their wife write a talk for them. Period.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Hi, Tav! I never wrote my husband's talks either, but, I used to listen to them and offer suggestions as to wording and grammar, etc...............he was pretty creative all by himself.

Terri

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Some elders wives are far brighter and more spiritual than their husbands and would make far better elders - but as you know -to get on in Dubdom you have to have a penis

• snakeizz
    snakeizz

Totally!!!....my mom wrote some excellent talks for me...of course it was my delivery that really brought it home!!!! LMAO!!!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I wrote all my talks I was highly brainwashed by preparing them. Trying to make sense out of those public talk outlines can really get you to make the brain out of focus.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I had never even heard of such an event, until I read this just now!

I certainly wrote all of my own talks - with absolutely no help asked for or given by anyone else:

- including my wife!

• blondie
    blondie

Interestingly, in the new Ministry School guidebook (2002) under the first counsel point, Accurate Reading, the required exercise is:

be study 1 p. 85 Accurate Reading ***
    EXERCISE:
    After preparing well, ask a friend or a family member to follow in the Bible as you read aloud a portion from Matthew chapters 5 to 7. Ask him to stop you every time you (1) skip a word, (2) read a word incorrectly or change the word order, or (3) ignore a diacritic or some punctuation that calls for a pause or an inflection. It would be good to do this for at least ten minutes on two or three occasions.

This included elders who had parts (at least in the congos around here)...the school overseer would ask if you had done this and if not, would not pass you on to the next point. So brothers were required to involve another person in the preparation of their talk, usually their wife given the demographics of most families.

I know sisters who typed their husband's talk outlines and "edited" or "improved" it. I know others who helped with pronunciation as well.

I know one sister who helped her husband who could not read and had concealed that point from the elders so he would be appointed an MS. I know of at least 2 MS who could not read but were appointed anyway with the hope that they would learn.

I realize that the vast majority of men who give talks prepare them themselves, at least they carefully follow the outline the WTS provides.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit