Elders Wives

by Octavia 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Octavia
    Octavia

Ever wonder how some of those brothers wrote such elloquent talks? I just found out ( Puternut told me) their wives wrote them for them. That must be why they always clapped so loud for their husbands! Maybe in the future if we're at a meeting and hear a really good talk, we should go up to the wife of the speaker and tell her "I really enjoyed the talk"

• Neo
    Neo

I think they also underline the WT study for their husbands...

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    That must be why they always clapped so loud for their husbands!

That's funny. I always thought that they clapped so loud because they were complete automatons.

laters

kaykay_mp

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

My dad was an elder and my mom wrote some (probably most) of his talks, too. When he was practicing, my sister and I would sometimes have to help him pronounce some of the words! How sad is that? In his defense, though ... he was an idiot on ALL levels!

• Mulan
    Mulan

My husband was an elder for 25 years and I can honestly say I never wrote one talk for him. He did a much better job of it than I ever could have. I had lots of elder's wives for friends and they didn't do it either. Most weren't smart enough to do it and their husbands were pretty smart men, at least they could research, organize, and write their own talks.

I helped my boys with their talks when they were little, but by the time they were 11 or 12, they were doing them on their own. Same for Princess. After the first few, she did them alone.

I did know a couple of women who wrote talks for their husbands every time, and for their kids too. The husbands were not elders though. Dunderheads couldn't write their way out of a box.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

I know for a fact that my dad wrote all his own talks.

Mom or I would type them up for him. But he wrote 'em all.

• Dustin
    Dustin

Yet women couldn't be elders. Think the 12 losers in the Governing Body feel threatened?

Dustin

• Odrade
    Odrade

My dad, brother, boyfriends, their dads, and my friends' dads all wrote their own talks. I can't think of a single elder who I know personally that the wife writes the talk. I'm not saying I doubt that it happens... just saying I think wives writing talks is definitely the minority situation.

I DO know an elder who does not give talks at all because he is not capable of writing them.

O

• CinemaBlend
    CinemaBlend

Yeah... this may be true in a rare few cases...

But not most.

You don't get to be an elder by being a total boob. Most are at least capable of writing a solid talk, when given just about everything to say in scads and scades of books.

It really isn't that hard.

It might be easy to believe they're all stupid, faceless fools, but it does take SOME intelligence to rise in ANY organization, no matter what it is.

My dad was a brilliant speaker and writer... and as a result a good Elder. I'd like to think I got some of my writing talent from him. If only he'd been able to put it to better use, maybe he wouldn't have had to scrape out a living as a mechanic all those years.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

theres some funny elder wives i remember..

1. her husband would never allow her to shave her legs.. she was submissive and was hairy.

2. one would chase everyone out of the bathrooms and would stand at the sink to make sure no one used more than one papertowel.(she tried that once with me so i started bringing my own paper towels and keeping them under the sink..irked her to no end)

3. one who would raise her hand and correct her husband when he made a mistake..she was a hilarious old lady.

many were sad gossiping old biddies who needed to get a life. but some i remember affectionately.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit