Awake! now monthly!!! - KM Mar/05 in Portuguese with translation

by observador 17 Replies latest jw friends

• observador
    observador

Folks, now we have a scan!

Only now I was able to put my hands on the Mar/05 KM. Too bad it is in Portuguese, but I'm providing a translation of paragraph 6, which is what really matters. The previous paragraphs are just an atempt to put a positive spin.

Here it is:

Paragraph 6 reads:

"6 Awake! will continue to feature articles of general interest. However, it will give more enphasis to the Bible. (1 Tes. 2:13) Since Watchtower contains deep biblical information and Awake! will feature more articles of biblical nature, it doesn't seem necessary to continue to publish Awake! semi-monthly. So, starting from the January 2006 issue, Awake! magazine will be published monthly. It will be a considerable simplification in preparation, translation and delivery of our publications."

Observador.

• observador
    observador

I am fixing the size of the scan. Hold on!

• observador
    observador

Fixed!

• Neo
    Neo

Thanks a lot, Observador!

By this time, at least quite a few elders and MS have received their March KM's around the world.

It seems like the Portuguese edition is beating the English one here in the board! No insider has still published it in English on JWD!

For an analysis of the above article, refer to the thread WTS Official Spin on monthly Awake: 'More emphasis on the Bible!'

Neo

• undercover
    undercover
    "6 Awake! will continue to feature articles of general interest. However, it will give more enphasis to the Bible.

No more reading the Awake! is the same as gaining a college degree. Will reading the Awake! be the same as getting a degree from Bob Jones University?

Since Watchtower contains deep biblical information and Awake! will feature more articles of biblical nature, it doesn't seem necessary to continue to publish Awake! semi-monthly.

Huh?? Actually, if they're both featuring articles of a biblical nature it doesn't seem necessary to continue the Awake! at all.

So, starting from the January 2006 issue, Awake! magazine will be published monthly. It will be a considerable simplification in preparation, translation and delivery of our publications."

Um, what happened to the urgency of the times? So they're not worried about spreading the good news as much as they are about saving a buck.

Various thoughts:

Awake! was the only thing from the WTS that I could actually sit down and read through without too much trouble. I never, in all my years as a JW, sat down and read a WT through. The same for all the books.

I wonder if the "reporters" for the Awake! were having to do too much secular research to write their articles and stumbling onto issues that caused them to doubt their faith. Easy fix....drop the cutesy articles on bugs and plants and keep those writers out of the public library.

Here's a case where in time, no one will remember that the Awake! wrote positive articles on the UN and it will not be referenced in the Index. Never said it, never happened, it's a lie. Awake! is a biblical magazine, just look at our latest copies. See, an article on Paul. Here's one on Noah. Why would we write about the UN? It doesn't fit in with the style of the magazine.

Maybe the Awake! had to cut down cirulation and change format because they couldn't find any more JWs to give life stories of how they lived through the holocaust or WWII.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Most likely they just needed to cut down on publishing things because they weren't getting enough income from the magazines they were putting out. Simple economics. Apparently, paper prices have gone out of the roof. It's cool with me.. less trees giving their lives up for those nasty lies. Yes, I am a tree hugger. I love them. In fact... I want to marry an old Oak that I know.

CG

• Panda
    Panda

CG, you smiley tomato!!! Yeah I'm glad they won't be using up mother nature as much anymore. Yet as we well know this won't phase anyone... just continue to wait on the governing body Jehover.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

This is certainly a move to eventually eliminate the Awake! magazine all together. It is just a matter of time before they say: "Since both the Awake! and Watchtower magazines address bible issues, it would appear that their purposes are redundant. In order to maintain efficiency we have decided to eliminate the redundant Awake! magazine."

• observador
    observador

Here's the full translation:

1 The first issue of Golden Age was published on October 1st, 1919. That magazine became an invaluable tool in the preaching work. Why? Because it was designed especially for the public. The case of Watchtower was different, as it was viewed for many as designed for the "little flock". (Luke 23:32) The publishers react with so much enthusiasm to the new publication that, for a long time, the circulation of Awake! was far greater than that of Watchtower.

2 Awake! magazine was published to show people that the real solution to mankind's problems is the Millennial Kingdom of Christ, which will truly bring about a "golden age" to mankind. In the following decades, several adjustments were made to Golden Age to meet the different requirements of the changing times. In 1937, the name of the magazine was changed to Consolation. In 1946 it became Awake!, name by which is known to this day.

3 Since the beginning, that magazine has greatly contributed to the great witnessing given starting from 1919. (Mat. 24:14) However, due to the urgency of our times, it seems sensible to make further adjustments to Awake!.

4 Millions of people like to read Awake! because it has a captivating way of dealing with an ample variety of subjects of non religious nature. There is no doubt that the majority of those who attend the Memorial are regular readers of Awake!. Nevertheless, one who hopes to be preserved in the "day of Jehovah's wrath" needs to be helped to do more than simply be a regular reader of our publications. - Sop. 2:3; Rev. 14:6,7.

5 In view of that, starting from January 2006, Awake! will start giving more emphasis to the Kingdom of God. It will encourage readers in a more direct way to cling to the Bible for a solution to the problems, and will stress more clearly the biblical explanation of current events. That way, the readers will better understand the current events and perhaps be moved to learn more about Jehovah by what they read. - Zac. 8:23.

6 Awake! will continue to feature articles of general interest. However, it will give more emphasis to the Bible. (1 Tes. 2:13) Since Watchtower contains deep biblical information and Awake! will feature more articles of biblical nature, it doesn't seem necessary to continue to publish Awake! semimonthly. So, starting from the January 2006 issue, Awake! magazine will be published monthly. It will be a considerable simplification in preparation, translation and delivery of our publications.

7 This change will affect about 40% of the languages in which Awake! is published, since in the majority of languages it is already a monthly or quarterly publication. There will be no change in the publication of Watchtower.

8 Publishers will be able to offer the Awake! of the month along with any issue of Watchtower of the same month. Those who prefer calling attention to Awake! will be able to use the same issue during all month without having to change presentation every 15 days, as it is today.

9 Since its first issue, in 1919, the magazine known as Golden Age, Consolation and now Awake! has played an important role in the preaching work. We pray that Jehovah continues to bless the distribution of that magazine in its new form and that it helps even more people of all 'nations, tribes, peoples and tongues' to look to the Kingdom of God as their only hope. - Rev. 7:9

Thanks Valis and Neo for breaking these news here first! :)

Observador.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Nevertheless, one who hopes to be preserved in the "day of Jehovah's wrath" needs to be helped to do more than simply be a regular reader of our publications. - Sop. 2:3; Rev. 14:6,7.

Whoops, that has told us then! So much for having a magazine route. (I never did that successsfully)

Mind You, I will miss some of the fascinating stuff , and that is not entirely sarcastic because I do generally read it

NO MORE :-

"Can you smile at a crocodile?" and "The Tomato - a very versatile vegetable" as in March 8th 2005... I think my favourite was serious discussion of the Australian song, "Waltzing Matilda" back in the 90's

Thanks for the scan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit