Big News on Shroud of Turin

by Amazing1914 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Yes, in 1988, JWs were so happy to learn that Carbon dating proved the Shroud of Turin was a fake from the middle ages ... yes, once again, Jehovah's Alleged Organization was forward moving in its Truth ... Ahhhh ... but wait! ... There's more ...

It turns out, that while the Carbon dating was accurate, it was not understood that the 1988 test inadvertantly used a repair patch from the 1300's. So, yes, the carbon dating would show this date. However, recent tests show that the main part of the Shroud is much older ... at least 1,300 years old and possibly up to 3,000 years ... but then ...

If the Shroud is 3,000 years old, then it would be 1,000 years older than Christ ... would Jesus have been drapped in such an old cloth? I believe that a new radio-carbon test is needed on the origial portion of the Shroud to get a more precise date.

The only other question that remains, is that even if it is dated correctly to Jesus lifetime, is it an image of him at the time of his death? It appears to be ... but is it?

Read all about it at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4210369.stm

Jim Whitney

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

I always liked the Theory that it made by Leonardo da Vinci - the image actually being himself. A sort of 'photography' if you like.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

thanks - very interesting.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Thanks for sharing, Jim. Quite interesting........I hadn't heard of the Leonardo DaVinci angle........that would make sense and fit with Leonardo's personality.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_275.html

It's crap... It was not done on a repair this is a gasp for life that simply isn't there... Not only that but a little simple LOGIC tells you that this is fake! If Jesus was a long hair hippie boy don't you think that would have been mentioned by the priest and scribes? Do you think that it would say what it does about long hair in 1 Cor 11:14 if Jesus had long hair?

The image on the shroud of turin is a picture that is the image of Jesus that was popular around 1300 AD... which coincidently is about when the shroud showed up! At the time is was considered a fake because over 40 such shrouds were floating around. It's only now that "enlightened" people started to fall for it... Funny to me that this item showed up just as soon as there was a market for it... Where was it for the 1300 years BEFORE that! If it was that important don't you think the first century christians would have used it? It's really idiotic!!!!

I think they should cut a piece right out of the forehead of the image to carbon date that would shut people up!!!!!

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

mkr32208.

I read the link you provided, where Cecil Adams gave some historical details about the Shroud. He himself does not say it is fake as far as it goes, only that it was more likely created in the 13th century.

First, Cecil is using outdated information. The shroud now tests positive from 1,300 to 3,000 years, using chemical processes. This places the Shroud's creation between the 8th century AD and 10th century B.C. I have no particular opinion, except that the new information at least shows it could not have been created later than the 8th century. It also could not have been created by Leonardo da Vinci, since he was not even born when the Shorud first appeared in the 14th century.

I found this point noted by Cecil to be interesting:

Not everybody bought this conclusion. Harvard University physicist Thomas Phillips, writing in the journal Nature, argued that if Christ had in fact been resurrected while wrapped in the shroud, a phenomenon known as "neutron flux" would have occurred, throwing off the results of the carbon-14 dating.

He cannot say whether neutron flux would happen upon resurrection, given that we have had so few human resurrections, all taking place long before modern science understood radio-carbon dating. If, however, there is such "resurrection-flux" it would only make the shourd appear younger than it is. Any contamination in radio-dating never makes objects appear older. So, it stands to reason than if Christ popped some resurrection-neutrons when he was resurrected, then by all means a first century shroud could be made to appear it was from the 8th century.

Jim Whitney

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

lol. silly children.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    lol. silly children.

Six, you cynic you... Jean

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Even if it is proved to be 2,000 years old, there is no proof it was actually the shroud that Jebus was wrapped in. Actually one can't even prove Jebus exists.

Will

• seven006
    seven006

Jim,

Here is a little experiment in artistic relief reproduction for you. Put some theatrical face paint on your face. Cover your entire face all the way back to your ears. Then take a white cloth and press it against your face so it transfers the face paint to the cloth. Then unwrap it to see how it spreads and distorts the image of your face horizontally. Then look at the undistorted face image on the shroud and explain how the image could be transferred without any distortion.

The age of the cloth is irrelevant. The image, as a relief transfer is impossible.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit