A question about baptism

by fairchild 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Elsewhere, but how about Matt. 28:19?

(Matthew 28:19) . . .Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit. . .

Nowhere does that say that a special few are authorized to administer a baptism. Basically, whoever teaches you can baptize you. If you learn on your own, then baptize yourself.

As Garybuss said, it is nothing more than a ritual bath to "clean away sin".

And now I almost feel as if there is no other place to go.

If you believe in the bible, then the bible answers that question for you: (John 14:6) . . .Jesus said to him: "I am the way and the truth and the life.

There is no need for an "organization": (Psalm 146:3) . . .Do not put YOUR trust in nobles, Nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    If I don't join the WTS, then I will never get baptized, but people in the bible clearly got baptized. Now what do I do?

Decide if what all those people in the Bible did was the right thing to do? Men in the Bible also got circumcised, do you want to follow that example too? I'm not trying to be flippant and I do hope you find the answers you are looking for but I would just like to suggest that the Bible does not have all the answers.

Trust your own judgement a little more.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    useless for parents to get their babies baptized, because the babies are still unaware of sin and are obviously too young to feel repentance.

Where does it say that they have to repent? Just says washes away sin. That repent part, if I"m not mistaken, comes from accepting Jesus as your savior. But what do I know, I'm not a christian and don't really buy into that whole original sin bs.

As to where else to go, who says you have to have a "place" to go. Someone mentioned that all you need is jesus, but there's also another one that says "where ever two or three are gathered together in my name." So find a few like minded people and get something together to study or commiserate or whatever it is you do.

May your path leads you to as much happiness as mine.

Blessings on your journey!

Sherry

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Here is the "baptist" religion I mentioned earlier, the Mandaeans. Baptist only in the sense that water baptism is a central part of their ritual. Pretty fascinating, and it certainly gives one something to think about regarding "christian" baptism.

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser
    And now I almost feel as if there is no other place to go.

Try the Bible Students.........alot of JW teachings without alot of the controlling bullsh*t. I think that there was a recent thread on this topic (sometime in the last week I think).

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA

Heck, you don't even need a church to go get baptized in, just have someone who believes what you believe go do it for you. When my entire family left the truth, my father who was an elder for 17 years baptized the majority of us at the beach. My hubby baptized my mother and me at a 24-hour fitness in their pool. My son, who is 11 asked me the other day about baptism, so we are reading the scriptures on it together and his father will baptize him in our complex's pool this summer. My brother who had no one near him to do it, did it himself at the beach. All of these methods are just as valid in God's eyes at if you went to a church and had it done, maybe even more so.

Ash

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA

Most religions do have some aspects of correctness to them, but finding one that is 100% correct is probably never going to happen. For me, I feel that a religion is not a place for me, that I can associate with other likeminded people and read the bible with them and study, but I don't need a church building to do it in. We are the church, and God dwells within us, so a building is needless, IMO. Hope I don't step on any toes with this belief.

Ash

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA

Elsewhere,

I agree withwhat you have had to say 100%. Our learning does not come from man, it comes from our own prayer and study of the bible. Always pray for guidance before you read, and God will lead you to whatever it is you are seaking.

Ash

• jgnat
    jgnat

If baptism is important to you, go looking for a Baptist church. They specialize in it. As others have said, the commitment is quite different than the Jehovah's Witnesses. Likely the Baptists will be most concerned with your Eternal Salvation, rather than getting you registered in their church.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    (heatmiser) Try the Bible Students.........alot of JW teachings without alot of the controlling bullsh*t. I think that there was a recent thread on this topic (sometime in the last week I think).

Yes, I noticed the link to that site and have been doing a lot of reading on there.

Again, thank you all very much for your time and for your comments, they help a great deal. it is reassuring to know that there are other ways to get baptized than during a convention of JW's. To me, the main problem might be that I don't know anyone (other than JW's), who is actually deeply occupied with religion. I guess I might have to go to a church after all, because, being female, I'd assume that I can't baptize myself?

(Ashton) Heck, you don't even need a church to go get baptized in, just have someone who believes what you believe go do it for you. When my entire family left the truth, my father who was an elder for 17 years baptized the majority of us at the beach. My hubby baptized my mother and me at a 24-hour fitness in their pool. My son, who is 11 asked me the other day about baptism, so we are reading the scriptures on it together and his father will baptize him in our complex's pool this summer. My brother who had no one near him to do it, did it himself at the beach. All of these methods are just as valid in God's eyes at if you went to a church and had it done, maybe even more so.

..yes, but I do notice that it are the men in the family who baptize. This brings up the question if a woman could baptize, but I'm pretty sure I already know tha answer to that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit