Who's Counting "hours"?.... look again!

by upside/down 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• upside/down
    upside/down

ranting is gooooood!

u/d

• upside/down
    upside/down

Qcmbr- I thought for sure you'd have a comment on this....

What do you think?

u/d

• upside/down
    upside/down

Anybody?

u/d (of the scraping the bottom of the barrel class)

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I find it funny that JWs talk about "lip service" being hypocritical when the vast majority of their members do nothing more than that. I used to hope no one would answer the door and if I thought someone might I would make sure my second knock was soft..but if no one was home for sure we had to hang around and you know..make sure know one would come.

• jimakazi
    jimakazi

This was an issue I had when I was a publisher - my brother and best mate used to do a lot of remote rural teritory, we came to know a lot of the farmers and enjoyed some robust discussion - I loved shaking things up a bit and to get people thinking. Of course one of the elders went with me one day and "suggested" I would be better off trying to place the magazines and let "Jehovah open their hearts" [I need to puke].

I remember other brothers and sisters demeaning my efforts because I counted my hours from when I left the hall till I got back - up to 8 hours, 300km, tired driving for up to an hour to get back from the last door. Mean while they had a nice stroll for a couple of hours then were back home in time for lunch. Ahhh the good old days. Makes me so glad that I do not waste my time like this anymore.

However I'm almost never rude to those that call. I politely but firmly say that my father is an elder, that I was raised a jehovahs witness, and I would like to be put on their "do not call" list. This doesn't always work - it seems to wear off. The last time I had some ignorant arsehole who inquired what congregation it was, thenclaimed he had spent 6 months in my old congregation and never heard of my father [there were only 30 publishers!] . I told him "don't come to f***ing door, when I've asked to be a do not call, and lie through your f***ing teeth - I was a publisher from age 10 to 22 in that congregation you a***hole, and my dad still there, f*** off." - this is more powerful than being polite as they have not returned in 12 months. What would a so called Jehovahs witness be doing telling lies at the door? What does he gain?

• Rod P
    Rod P

u/d,

Just a little thing about your math. How'd you get 17,520 hours for 2 years?

This is an outside figure: If a Mormon missionary worked 8 hrs. per day, 6 days per week = 48 hrs/wk

Now 52 weeks per year times 48 hrs per week 2,496 hours per year. In two years that's 4,992 hours

(And that's stretching it, because that's pretty intense, and there are other things going on besides knocking on doors and meeting with householders.)

On the other hand, I agree with your point that if a JW did 10 hrs. field service per month (let's give him the benefit of the doubt), that's 120 hours per year = 240 hours for two years. At that rate, it would take the JW 20.8 years to equal the hours of a Mormon missionary. Let's just say, it would take a very long time.

Now, the reason I came on to your thread is because I was a JW who later converted to the Mormon Church, and I did both field service when I was a JW and missionary work when I was a Mormon Elder. I can tell you unequivocally that the Mormons are way better organized than the JW's when it comes to preaching and door knocking and Missionary discussions with householders (vs. Bible studies by JW's).

This is not to say that there aren't some JW's who preach and teach and door knock way better and more effectively than a lot of Mormon Missionaries. But IMHO, I think there are a lot more "effective Mormons" than there are "effective JW's" by far overall. This has to do with training, education, and youth. By youth I mean to say that the typical Mormon Missionary is about 18 years of age, finished his high school, then goes on a 2-year Mission, after which he returns home for a University or College degree, pursues a career and gets married.

I left both the JW's and the Mormons quite a few years ago, so I may not be totally up-to-date on everything. But I thought the Mormons had a far more dynamic and interesting message to deliver than the JW's., and a message that was more about hope than fear. The JW's kept talking about the end of this wicked system of things, which I think creates a pretty negative picture in the mind of a householder, since they are living in this so-called "wicked system", and I don't think their message scares very many people into aligning themselves with their version of "the truth" Their message is one of fear, death, destruction and judgement, and the big "A".

I know there are many things taught by the Mormon Church that you guys would consider wrong or kooky or out of harmony with scripture, etc.. Just remember, I lived thru all that for many years, and I left the Church, so I have already discovered and questioned many of these teachings, and concluded I could not endorse it in the end. Much of these discoveries are not known by typical Mormon Church members, and it took me years to discover them, after which I dealt with this whole matter, and left.

Anyway, the main point here is that I think the Mormons beat the JW's hands down respecting proselyting activities, and I also think their annual statistics prove it. (Not that this is some kind of contest between the two groups, and I do not mean to imply anything along those lines.)

Rod P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit