My Elder Friend Got Announced As Being Deleted.....

by minimus 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Neo
    Neo
    My friend told me that Brother ** LAST WEEK went to his DISFELLOWSHIPPED sister's wedding ! He was the Service Overseer in our congregation. Now he and his wife are serving where the need is greater and learning a new language by means of the Society's program. My friend knows of it but won't say anything. I do respect this "older man".....I would've made sure it got out.

Talk about DOUBLE STANDARDS!!

Neo

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

yes those double standards. I just read today that if an elder who goes to a disfellowshipped wedding will himself be disfellowshipped. Now if I can remember where I read it. I did though come across some interesting reason why they don't like JWs going to worldy weddings

But what about attending weddings of neighbors, worldly fellow workers, or distant relatives and acquaintances? Each Christian must personally decide on this. It is good to bear in mind that our time is precious, since we need time for our ministry, personal study, and other family and congregational pursuits. (Ephesians 5:15, 16) On weekends, we have meetings and field service that we do not want to miss. (Hebrews 10:24, 25) The timing of many weddings conflicts with assemblies or special service efforts linked to the Lord?s Evening Meal. We should not permit ourselves to become distracted from making the same special efforts that our brothers around the world are making to attend the Lord?s Evening Meal. Before coming to a knowledge of the truth, we spent much time with worldly people, perhaps in circumstances that dishonored God. (1 Peter 4:3, 4) Now our priorities are different. It is always possible to wish a worldly couple well by sending a card or dropping in for a brief visit on another day. Some have used such occasions to give a witness, sharing some scriptures that are fitting for newlyweds.

A wedding where the spiritual aspects dominate over worldly ways will truly honor Jehovah. By making sure that they keep separate from the world with its superstitions and excesses, by not letting it interfere with regular theocratic activities, and by manifesting modesty instead of a showy display, Christians will enjoy the occasion. Moreover, they will be able to look back at the event with a good conscience and fond memories. With a display of wisdom and reasonableness, may all our Christian weddings give a witness to honesthearted observers.

[Footnote]

Published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.

[Picture

on page 24, 25]

Christians do not slavishly follow every local wedding custom

• dothemath
    dothemath

I was finally deleted as an elder some time ago............it's actually been great.

So many things I didn't agree with, so it was only a matter of time.

I'm sure the Pharisees would be proud of all the rules JW's live by today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit