FOND FAREWELL TO THE BI-MONTHLY AWAKE!

by steve2 47 Replies latest jw friends

• vienne
    vienne

"What Happened to reading the Watchtower and Awake as good as getting a college degree?"

The only people who believed that didn't have one.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

VIENNE:

Yeah, the only people who believed that silliness didn’t have a college degree..I remember hearing this foolish statement along with “you will only remember less than five percent of what you learned anyway ” 🙄 among some Witnesses.

I wasn’t raised a JW and considered mindsets like this to be typical of generational ignorance of people segregated from the world in general.

Anybody with regular contact with the community or non-JW relatives couldn’t help but hear at some point of somebody taking college classes and long hours of study over a long period of time, etc. …No intelligent person would equate somebody reading very simple periodical magazines to people involved in an intensive and expensive course of study over several years!

• pepperheart2
    pepperheart2

in 3 different towns and citys i have been to thses past few months the most recent magazines they have on the trolleys were printed in 2021 and 2020

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

The older issues from the 70’s made decent toilet paper on hiking trips. The newer issues are far to slick.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Reading Awake and Watchtower indeed would qualify a person for a university degree - from Tasmania’s University of Lower Crackpot. I’m sure that after completing that course of study, they would happily award you a Bachelor of Stupidity!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I was thinking a diploma mill, actually. 😏

• hoser
    hoser

The internet has changed the information that is available to us a million times making any printed material obsolete.

What was printed in the awake was a joke anyway. Dumbed down grade 5 level “why pears are pears and apples are apples” kind of articles that have no useful purpose in any normal human beings life.

One of the overlooked reasons why university and trade school will help you in life are the people you meet and the lifelong network they provide in your career.

You can’t get that from reading fire starter.

• Ding
    Ding

I used to wonder what "life saving message" was contained in Awake articles with titles like, "Interesting Flowers of Brazil."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit