FreedomFrog needs some support, please. Her parrot died. :-( ::::

by FreedomFrog 25 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

This is Dave, stealing one of Gina's topics.

Please send your positive thoughts to Gina, one of her birds died today. She has several birds, a yellow-nape amazon (big parrot), an african gray (snuggle bird), a starling (saved as a fledgling), two cockatiels (think largish yellow parakeets), and two doves. Cheeko was a green-cheek amazon, a smallish parrot. A very sweet bird. It could talk, saying "Hi Girl!", "Pretty girl!", and Meow-ing like a cat. Gina and Cheeko played a game where Gina would meow! at her, then the bird would meow! back. Cheeko would do this for as long as Gina would.

Cheeko was one of her favorite birds, and definitely her sweetest. She's the only one I would trust not to bite me!

Tuesday the bird was acting funny, eyes drooping, listing to one side. Gina thought she was dehydrated (despite available water), so she tried to get some water into her. She also gave her a little food, since she had lost weight. She stayed up all night with Cheeko, then took her to the vet yesterday. The vet determined that she needed to be hospitalized, so they put an IV on her, gave her oxygen, and started trying to determine what was going on. She got worse last night, and finally died about an hour ago. A necropsy will tell the tale, but they think it was PDD, a fairly rare bird virus. Of course, there's the fear that her other birds may have it as well, and it incubates for years. Gina's heartbroken.

Please send some hugs Gina's way, she needs them.

Dave

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Sorry to hear about Cheeko

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((((((((Gina)))))))))))))) I'm so sorry dear. My sweet Henry Doggy died last September. One of the hardest experiences I've ever had. I'm so sorry you're going through it.

Funny story to cheer you up:

My best friend had a brown-headed parrot for many years. She was tiny and beautiful and very rambunctious! She had this lovely Irish green coloring...her name was Shamrock. We called her Birdzilla because she would bite to play, but couldn't understand why humans didn't like to play like that. She knew about 50 words and even barked like a dog. We think she learned to bark because my best friend had acquired two puppies that barked all the time. It was funny to see them talk back and forth. The dogs would bark and hop around and Shamrock would bark and hop in her cage. Silly bird!

I know it's hard to think about it right now, but your baby is in a better place.

Love,

Andi

• Gill
    Gill

Gina! So sorry about Cheeko!

We have birds as well. Parakeets and cockatiels. They are the most wonderful loving creatures imagineable and I am so sorry for your loss.

Much love and hugs to you!

Gill

• jgnat
    jgnat

Gina must be a very dedicated pet owner. Parrots are a long-term commitment. Sorry for her loss.

• Scully
    Scully

So sorry to hear this news.

It's amazing how much we can become attached to our pets.

Love & Hugs, Scully

• Preston
    Preston

Call me a unintelligent optimist but...

I can't think of God rejecting any form of life by saying well, you have two legs you can come in, but you have four legs, or two wings and...you can't.

All life continues...

I can tell Gina has a good heart....

((((Cheeko))))

- Preston

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Sorry for your loss Gina, pets can become so a part of our lives that it is a loss that is much more than the mere absence of the pet.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I am so sorry Gina! I have a Congo AG and a conure, have had them for 11 years, and if they perished, it would absolutely send me into a downward sprial. I am so sorry for you loss. Please know that they are at the rainbow bridge and will be there when you get there.

CG

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Sorry for your loss, Gina. (((Gina)))

Jean

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit