Russell and Pyramids

by TheEdge 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Here is that WT article about measureing the pyramids... only they actually DO admit that it was THEMSELVES who was measureing the pyramids!

w00 1/1 pp. 9-10 Serving With the Watchman ***

A

Progressive Cleansing

During some 40 years up until Christ?s heavenly rule began in 1914, the Bible Students had been freed from many of the non-Biblical doctrines of Christendom, such as infant baptism, immortality of the human soul, purgatory, hellfire torment, and a Trinitarian God. But it took additional time to purge all wrong ideas. For example, in the 1920?s many Bible Students wore a pin featuring a cross-and-crown emblem, and they celebrated Christmas and other pagan holidays. However, for worship to be pure, all vestiges of idolatry must be discarded. God?s Word, the Holy Bible, must be the sole basis of the Christian?s faith and way of life. (Isaiah 8:19, 20; Romans 15:4) It is wrong to add to God?s Word or to take anything away from it.?Deuteronomy 4:2; Revelation 22:18, 19.

One example will underline how important this principle is. In 1886 when C. T. Russell published a book that came to be called The Divine Plan of the Ages, this volume contained a chart linking the ages of mankind with the Great Pyramid of Egypt. It was thought that this memorial of Pharaoh Khufu was the pillar referred to at Isaiah 19:19, 20: "In that day there will prove to be an altar to Jehovah in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar to Jehovah beside its boundary. And it must prove to be for a sign and for a witness to Jehovah of armies in the land of Egypt." What relationship could the pyramid have with the Bible? Well, as an example, the length of certain passages in the Great Pyramid was said to indicate the time for the beginning of the "great tribulation" of Matthew 24:21, as it was then understood. Some Bible Students became engrossed with measuring different features of the pyramid to determine such matters as the day they would be going to heaven!

This so-called Bible in Stone was held in esteem for some decades, until the Watchtower issues of November 15 and December 1, 1928, made clear that Jehovah needed no stone monument built by pagan pharaohs and containing demonic signs of astrology to confirm the witness given in the Bible. Rather, Isaiah?s prophecy was seen to have a spiritual application. As at Revelation 11:8, "Egypt" is symbolic of Satan?s world. The "altar to Jehovah" reminds us of the acceptable sacrifices made by anointed Christians while they are temporary residents in this world. (Romans 12:1; Hebrews 13:15, 16) The pillar "beside [Egypt?s] boundary" points to the congregation of anointed Christians, which is "a pillar and support of the truth" and which stands as a witness in "Egypt," the world that they are about to leave.?1 Timothy 3:15.
  • Bryan
    Bryan
    This measure is 1542 inches, and indicates the year B.C. 1542,

I thought God worked in metrics?

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    built by pagan pharaohs and containing demonic signs of astrology to confirm the witness given in the Bible.

I have to disagree with this statement. The Great Pyramid does NOT have any markings anywhere in it or on it... except for minor graffiti that was applied by vandals.

This is why I am inclined to go with the theories that the pyramids were build before they Egyptians came along. The Egyptians are known for being very arrogant because they engraved everything they built with their names and stories about all of the great things they did. They Great Pyramid is completely devoid of any engravings. The only reason they associate it with an Egyptian Pharaoh is because of some graffiti that was painted in a very small hidden chamber years after it was built

• AlanF
    AlanF

The Thinker, I think you must learn to emulate your handle better. You said:

: I don't agree with you AlanF. Charles russel did measure the lenghts of the passags in the pyramid.

But I didn't say that Russell didn't measure the Great Pyramid. I did say:

:: Russell's 1914 and other early calculations were not based on measurements of the Great Pyramid, but on misinterpretations of the Bible and secular history. These chronological ideas were in place in Russell's thinking largely by late 1876. Sometime in the 1880s Russell and his wife became familiar with various writings on pyramidology, and they adapted the information to their own religious ideas. Russell "found" that pyramidology "confirmed" his 1914 and other dates. Thus, so far as Russell was concerned, pyramidology was an independent confirmation of an already established chronology.

So, since Russell came to his chronological conclusions in 1876, and didn't say anything whatsoever about the Great Pyramid until somewhere between 1880 and 1886 (I have not researched the earliest mention in Russell's writings), as Elsewhere's quotation of The Watchtower indicates, Russell could not have based his chronology of 1914 on pyramidology, since the chronology was established long before Russell used pyramidology to "confirm" it. You have to understand, Thinker, that a cause must come before an effect.

AlanF

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I thought God worked in metrics?

God is a good, American, Christian male. He uses the "standard" system, just like all other right-thinking people.

"The metric system is the tool of the devil, my car gets 40 rods to the
    hogs head and thats the way I likes it". -- Grampa Simpson

Dave

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Yeah the bastards were already "sanitizing" their shiterature back in the early 1900's.

Amazing how the 1897 edition of "Thy Kingdom Come" used the pyramid measurement of 3416 inches to arrive at the 1874 date, but the 1916 edition gives the pyramid measurement of 3457 inches to come to 1914.

Meaning in a period of 19 years the pyramid grew 41 inches, equalling the growth of Russell's nose..

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Can somebody please paste the correct url for the site. I can't see it at all even when I use OPERA 7. The page just comes up white - no x's ti click or anything.

NewLight2

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Never Mind my previous post. Here is the correct URL. The first url is spelling geocities wrong - leaving out the i in -ies.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2919/russell.html
    v

• The Thinker
    The Thinker

I see your point AlanF, and I will reconsider my handle too . I'll like to mention one more hole in the 1914 theology. Firstly Russel said 606BC not 607BC. also the "seven times" is given in Prophtic years of 360 days. Question is why isn't the Prophtic year still used to arrive to 1914, to do this they switched to the Pope Gorgonian Calender. Its like using the Imperial system and then turning to the Metric system in the same calculation so as to get the desired result. see my point?

• helios
    helios

It is very easy to see Russell's ideas concerning the Great Pyramid as rather odd but it should be remembered that he was not alone. To quote DAVID ROHL The Victorian Egytologists went with a spade in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Russell was far from unique in his conclusions. He was influenced not only with the works of Smythe, Astronomer Royal of Scotland but also by the two brothers John and Martin Edgar of Glasgow. Both were Egyptologists.If you read the early WTS you will see he makes several references to them and often stayed in one their homes on his pastoral visits. I think John was a FRCS. No trival qualification. Certainly the Edgar brothers seem to vanish from the WT scene after 1916. However there are several sites on the WWW that refer to them in some detail and at least one site that features several colour slides taken by them many years ago.

I do not endorse Russell or his eschatology but was following something rather fashionable at the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit