Mom slipped me an Awake magazine

by Mulan 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

Last week my mother gave me a woman's magazine that she had read at the home where she lives. It had organization tips and recipes she thought I would enjoy. I hadn't looked at it until two days ago, after she asked me if I had read it yet. So I thought I had better read it so I could tell her I had.

She had slipped an Awake magazine inside it. It was the one on Obesity. Okay I need to lose weight and I am! I've been doing Weight Watchers for 3 weeks and have lost 10 pounds. Yay!

Anyway, I read the articles, the first Awake articles that I've read in several years, and was struck by its simplicity. It was actually about on an 8th grade level and half the pages were pictures. There was nothing there that I haven't known for most of my adult life. Yet, it is supposed to be something that would really help if you needed to lose weight. Very, very basic stuff. I learn much more watching the news and Oprah.

If this is the quality of the work they are turning out, it's no wonder the magazine is going to once a month publication.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    I read the articles, the first Awake articles that I've read in several years, and was struck by its simplicity. It was actually about on an 8th grade level and half the pages were pictures. There was nothing there that I haven't known for most of my adult life.

Where or who is the bone head that said reading the Awake was equal to a college education ?? Are there really people around who are dumb enough to believe that propaganda ?? No wonder the wts discourages college education.

On a more cheerful note, congratulations on losing ten pounds. Bug

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

It would irk me that she would slip you that in another magazine, and irks me more that by doing so implies you need to lose weight! Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, just ranting!

WW

• AloneinOh
    AloneinOh

I wish my mom would do that to me. I respect my parents wishes and have never brought up anything scripture related. Slipping me an Awake would give me the justification to take the gloves off and end my silence.

I can only wish.

• FreePeace
    FreePeace

Hey Mulan, when I was in my twenties and speaking more from the platform, my dad once told me that the average audience has an 8th grade mentality, and that I should do my talks accordingly. I'm pretty sure that was the conclusion he arrived at from all of his experience with talks at the KH and assemblies. I tried to resist that assumption by adding deeper things to my talks.

Now that I speak professionally to managers and leaders, I don't think it's true. It's a little higher, however, some managers are below an 8th grade mentality.

I guess I don't really have much of a point to make, just an observation. Maybe the WTS feels the same way, and the Awake is just one more attempt to keep the dubs "dumbed down."

Edited to add that your mom slipping the mag in the other mag was a very codependent thing to do. She is trying to passively control you.

Hope you are well!

Doug

• franklin J
    franklin J

sneaky mom, Mulan

I would return the favor; and print out some copies from the "best of" column from this website and slip it in a Cosmo or People magazine and give it to her.

No words or acknowledgment need be spoken.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Good idea, franklinj. I don't think it would work though. Gave me a chuckle.

It would irk me that she would slip you that in another magazine, and irks me more that by doing so implies you need to lose weight!

In Mom's defense, she and I talk about my weight all the time. It's a big thing in my mind, and I have fought my weight for years, even when I didn't need to. I've always thought I was overweight. Mom gave me the magazine around the time I went back to Weight Watchers, so I think she was trying to be helpful.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

No matter what your Mom was thinking - Congratulations with your succes....wished I had too....

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Not sure if that was rude, or a caring intervention. Knowing how you feel about the jw issue though, there are alot of magazines out there that she could have given you on the topic without resorting to subterfuge.

I'd have been irritated, but that's just me.

Congrats on the 10 lbs! I need to get back to the WW meetings; lost 21 lbs last year and have gained all but three back *waahhh*.

Jean

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Mulan,

You might want to hang on to that awake,it might become a collector's items once they start the once-a-month-awake.You know,some jw's will be able to say:"I still have some awakes dated the 8th and 22nd of the month,they'res very few of those left you know!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit