Why do we expexct Jehovah to be nice to people?

by Gill 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Faraon
    Faraon

Hi, googlemagoogle,

Where in the bible does it say that it was Satan who tempted the woman? Flavius Josephus, a Jew, in Antiquities of the Jews, book 1 v 4 claims that it was a regular snake, and that all animals could speak at the time. This book is about as old as the NT.

You can check it out at http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/josephus/ant-1.htm There are some details not found in the babble, like:

...to abstain from the tree of knowledge; and foretold to them, that if they touched it, it would prove their destruction...

What happened to ... on the same day?

But when he saw that Adam had no female companion, no society, for there was no such created, and that he wondered at the other animals which were male and female,,,

No planning whatsoever

But while all the living creatures had one language, (5) at that time the serpent, which then lived together with Adam and his wife...

Not only the snake lived with them, but talked to them.

This behavior surprised God; and he asked what was the cause of this his procedure; and why he, that before delighted in that conversation, did now fly from it, and avoid it..

God did not know what would happen. He read their non-verbal language.

But God allotted him punishment, because he weakly submitted to the counsel of his wife...

The original macho statement. Therefore the first commandment was implied: Thou shalt not listen to your wife. I don't know why women get upset when we don't listen to them. We are only listening to God and a game on TV.

He also made Eve liable to the inconveniency of breeding, and the sharp pains of bringing forth children.

I like this one better. The bible's story implies that Eve had children before.

He also deprived the serpent of speech, out of indignation at his malicious disposition towards Adam. Besides this, he inserted poison under his tongue, and made him an enemy to men; and suggested to them, that they should direct their strokes against his head, that being the place wherein lay his mischievous designs towards men, and it being easiest to take vengeance on him, that way

No prophecy here about someone in the future implying that Jesus would kill Satan.

And when he had deprived him of the use of his feet, he made him to go rolling all along, and dragging himself upon the ground. And when God had appointed these penalties for them, he removed Adam and Eve out of the garden into another place.

The snake had feet before. It was not condemned to eat dust (ridiculous).

Faraon

• Nick
    Nick

Why do we expect YHWH to be nice to people? Well, if you believe in the Judeo-Christian God, it's his party -- and you would expect the host to serve cake and have some games and party favors. But then, nobody had the option of not attending. And let's face it, for the most part, this party has been a bummer.

As they used to say down at the Coliseum, "Inter feces et urinam nascemur." or "between piss and sh*t we are born." if you get my physiological drift.

Nick

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I don't expect him to be nice to people. If the God of the old testament is out there I expect him to kill based on whatever justice scale he's drempt up.. and since we have no evidence that he's even around there is no point in caring anyway.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

hi faraon,

you are right, it doesn't say it was satan. sometimes christian/jw tradition is hard to overcome.

the snake was right then, but still god was wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit