Why do we expexct Jehovah to be nice to people?

by Gill 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RunningMan
    RunningMan
    why are you so mad

I'm not mad in the least. Someone asked a question, I answered it.

As for Adam dieing in that very day, I certainly hope that the day of my death lasts 950 years. As for everyone being born dead, you might want to consult a dictionary.

• franklin J
    franklin J

perhaps the Hebrew god, Yaweh ( Jehovah) was, like the Greek and Roman Gods; created BY MEN in the likeness of men....and along with that goes all the idiosyncricities of humans....

At least the Egyptians gave their gods physical attributes of animals and expected them to be ruthless

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

RM

As for Adam dieing in that very day, I certainly hope that the day of my death lasts 950 years.

It could last much longer than that.

As for everyone being born dead, you might want to consult a dictionary.

mûth

mooth

A primitive root; to die (literally or figuratively); causatively to kill: - X at all, X crying, (be) dead (body, man, one), (put to, worthy of) death, destroy (-er), (cause to, be like to, must) die, kill, necro [-mancer], X must needs, slay, X surely, X very suddenly, X in [no] wise.

The Hebrew Idea of death can be a little different than the JWs or what most think of today.

D Dog

• FairMind
    FairMind

God is real (IMHO) and all the rest of us are only temporary. If it is true that we all are under a sentence of “death” due to inherited sin, then when God exercises his will to end someone’s life the death sentence is merely being carried out a little earlier. Since God has the power and desire to resurrect the dead then it matters little if we die at age 5 or 95. What matters (from human perspective) is that we are in the resurrection.

FM

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I agree with both DDog and Frank (with the modification that they described their interactions with God as interpreted through their own contemporary eyes).

In answer to the initial question, another: why do we expect Christians to be nice to people?
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people try to put me into a box, because I claim Jesus, and suddenly think they have a lever to dictate how I should act. Try that with me and I'll p*ss in your chips! Why should God be any different (asks the guy in the cool shades, looking at things through 21st Century contemporary eyes)?

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Sorry, I'm a little late coming into this. To answer your first question though, I don't expect the God of the Old Testament to be nice at all. From what I read, he has a penchant for slaughter over the slightest transgression, and even if the transgression was meant to serve him.

Example: 2 Samuel 6:6-7

Jean

• Gill
    Gill

Hi All!

Deputy Dog - I've been thinking about your question...do I mean the God of the old Testament or the WTBTS God...and surprised myself in that I forgot , having been brought up a JW, that people have other views over who God is and that some think that Jesus is God etc. So, my answer to that it that I must mean the Jehovah God of the old Testament and the God that Jesus called 'Father' who I also assume is Jehovah.

I assume I still have in my head JW indoctrination. Who's right and who's wrong....well that's another problem.

Googlemagoogle - thanks for the clarification. I see what you mean. Jesus did get angry. But I don't think he was about to slaughter the people who irritated him so badly. Not the way Jehovah did in the OT.

Jeanniebeanz - my point exactly. Jehovah was continually slaughtering people and letting thoroughly bad people off just because he liked/favoured them ie. David.

So, I think this might be why the JWs fear Armageddon and letting Jehovah down at all and why the WTBTS have them over a barrel. They know what their God is capable of and what he threatens, according to the WTBTS, to do in the future.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Gill

and surprised myself in that I forgot

That OK, and to be expected. It's just that I don't subject God the the law He gives mankind. I believe He is above it. But if you want to judge God by the law, you should judge the God Man, Jesus. He subjected himself to the law, when he became a man.

I assume I still have in my head JW indoctrination. Who's right and who's wrong....well that's another problem.

The deity of Christ is always the problem!

LT

You better be careful agreeing with me, its going to get you in trouble

D Dog

• holly
    holly

good point Gill, about only having seen niceness from Jesus. But he said he did as he saw his father doing. Was Jesus deluded then? Was he the blue eyed boy and Satan really telling the truth, but just happened to be the black sheep?

Jesus did copy one thing from his father. He spoke in riddles as well, that made no sense to many of those listening in those days, let alone us. Imagine saying to people that they must 'eat his flesh and drink his blood'. must have been really confusing after being given a law forbidding them from eating the blood of an animal. no wonder people were dazed and confused by who he was

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Traditionally, God was supposed to be the good guy, and Satan was the bad guy. So I suppose to a large extent, we expect God to be nice because "nice" is very much part of the contrast with evil/mean/nasty etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit