A Degree....... I can't do this.... HELP!!!

by ScoobySnax 19 Replies latest jw friends

• under74
    under74

I'm doing a Masters degree right now. It's not that bad. But yeah, it can be nerve racking sometimes. I don't like the presentations and crap but I just don't think about it, just do it...otherwise I'll just get all worked up about it.

Also, I went into graduate studies thinking it was going to be a lot tougher than it is. There are times when I've felt overwhelmed but it could be worse and it's going to be over before long.

• frozen one
    frozen one

I started working on my bachelors degree when I was in my 30's. When I walked into my first lecture - it was chemistry with all that stuff about "anes" and "enes" and "ines" or whatever and those models... - I had no idea what the prof was talking about. The lecture hall was huge and packed with teenagers, I felt like barfing. That was the start of a six odd year period of my life that consisted of working full time and going to school 3/4 time. Work, school, study, sleep - that was my life. I would be at home doing school work thinking "I hate this, I hate this" as I watched life passing me by. Then one day, I got a letter from the University saying that I would satisfy the course work for graduation at the end of the semester and the U was wondering what I wanted to buy from them - a tassle, a gown, season tickets for the hockey games - always wanting money. Anyway, on graduation day when I walked across the stage and picked up the fake diploma (the real one was mailed weeks later) my first thought was, "Hell, that wasn't so bad." My second thought was about the lying SOB CO who told me that the "great tribualtion" would occur before I could finish a degree. That converstation had occured over twenty years earlier. What a prick. Anyway, I'm wandering. I guess my point is this. If I, of all people, can go to school and earn a degree, anyone can. It has to do with desire though. If you want it to happen it will. I wish you all the best

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

You can do it Scooby. My wife is a nurse in the Intensive Care Unit here. She is currently working on her Master's in Nursing Science degree to become a Nurse Practitioner. Then she will probably get an Education Degree so she can teach nursing. She works full time (3 - 12 hour night shifts) and drives 2-1/2 hours one way for class one day a week. She loves school and is very dedicated. It gets hard sometimes, but it's well worth it. I help out by typing all of her papers for her and do any of the computer work involved. Once you start taking classes it will all come back to you and you will love it. Have fun and good luck.

I working as an Engineering Technician and have a Drafting degree. Anytime my company wants me to get additional training on new software I jump at the opportunity. Any education is a great thing and it looks great on a resume' if needed.

• Mary
    Mary

Scooby, why would you waste your time getting another degree? Don't you know where we are in the stream of time?! Armageddon will be here LONG before you get your degree. Surely you'd be better off pioneering during the remaining months of this Ol' System of Things!

I'm getting my degree right now. Rule of thumb is: for every hour you spend in class, be prepared to do 3 hours worth of study and homework on your own. It can be daunting, but just taking it one step at a time. You might find that with your practical experience, the courses won't be as difficult as what you might think!

All the best!

Mary

• rebel8
    rebel8

ScoobySnax,

Offering you some encouragement here. It took me 10 yrs to start from scratch and now have a MS degree. It was hard physically and financially, but it can be done! It was worth all of the hard work, too. I value all of my education. (Of course, nothing can compare to the college-level education I got from simply reading the Awakes <gag>.)

If you can survive escaping a cult, you can do anything. OK, well, almost anything. Good luck :)

• marcosgarcia
    marcosgarcia

Scooby you would be surprised at what you can do! Really!!

It took me a long time to get my degrees, but I did it and I got the sheepskins hanging on the wall to prove it. Here is a thought. Take a good look at some of the people that have more formal education than you do. Are they smarter than you? Of course not! They are "blokes" (I think that is the term used over there.) just like us. A degree takes time and sacrifice, but it does not take forever and when it is done you can look back and say "Yep I done it" "I am one smart dude". What I do not understand is how some people squander their time going from job to job never focusing on getting a solid foundation that will help them go up rather than sideways.

Come on Scube give it the Scooby doobie try. Expand your horizons! It won't kill ya and I have found no matter what courses you take or new work projects you take on, you always, always, always learn something that will apply sometime somewhere in your life. A learning experience opens your mind and opens up doors in the future. Give it a shot Scooby!!

• baysixforme
    baysixforme

Just go for it!

There will be a thousand reasons for you opting out and it will not be easy. My course has caused me to have serious doubts about why I started it in the first place. I have met challenges and obstacles and moments when I have thought fuck, I just can't do it! but I have! (I'm half way through my degree)

I am a single parent, four children, work 16 hours per week and do voluntary work also.......I manage. I am doing fine, my grades are good. I still maintain a good relationship with my children, they support me wholeheartedly and I don't hold back on showing the love I have for them. I do what I do not only for me but for them. I want this qualification so much and I work really hard.

There is always support, I always ask if I'm stuck, it's not easy, don't believe anyone that tells you it is. But if you're prepared to work and you really want it, you will succeed.

I have met friends on my course that I now consider to be potentially life-long. We speak regularly on the phone and keep in touch via email. We help each other out and there is always a brain to pick and sometimes someone will pick yours!

I liken my present quest to my attitude to driving. I never thought I'd be able to do it but then replaced that thought with......if 'they' can do it......so can I.

I wish you well,

Bay64me

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Just wanted to say a big thanks to you all for your comments....... Everyone at work is sick of me keep going on about it this week.......(For Christs sake Scott ...JUST DO IT!!) So looks like I'll just have to take a deep breath and go for it.......whats the worst that can happen?!!!

Thanks again

Scoob

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

btw, I just found this link to the actual course and college I would be doing it at.

http://health.canterbury.ac.uk/applicants/post-reg/BSc-pathways/acute-care-nursing.htm

Looks like a walk in the park to me!!.........(LOL)

Scoob

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Scoob,

In your place, I'd count your blessings. Where I live, it's even money whether they'd pay for your schooling or hire someone else who already has the degree.

I get the impression that nursing is your true calling. If I could get someone to pay me to finish a degree in my true calling so they could hire me for a job they were holding for me...man, I'd know I was in clover!

g ently f eral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit