A Degree....... I can't do this.... HELP!!!

by ScoobySnax 19 Replies latest jw friends

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Having had my 1-2-1 with my boss yesterday on my performance in managing an acute Surgical ward, she informs me that she expects me to commence a course in Critical Care at degree level commencing September. The reason being our surgical ward is being converted into a High dependancy Unit (like an ITU) and she wants me to manage it and gain the necessary skills. I already have a Diploma in Higher Ed. (Nursing Studies) but I am crapping myself at the thought of having to start another course at degree level....all the disertations and presentations......YIKES!!! Not sure I can hack this.

Its 13 years since I did my initial nurse training...... oh lordy.

Has anyone else here completed a degree? and how was it?

Scoob

(ps....please don't tell me it was awful, I need encouragement here!!)

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Hi, Scooby.

A degree is difficult and takes time but is well worth the efforts. What kind of classes are you being asked to take and at a university or a business school?

Jean

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Hi Jean....and thanks. Its at University level, I've yet to see the prospectus for the course, but it sounds scary already......I'll keep you posted!!

Scoob

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Thanks, please do. I started from scratch and it took me 6 years to get my Bachelors Degree, but has paid off in so many ways. Will you be going at night?

Jean

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Jean,

No, not night school, as the NHS will sponsor me to do the course, so I guess I'm lucky in that respect. The money is never great in the British National Health Service, but they do support you very well in advancement career and study wise.

Its just the thought of having to study again!! Guess I need this to give myself a kick up the bum, cut out the late nights and beer, and study!!

I already have a diploma which equates to 240 points, that took me 3 years to get. A degree is 360 points, so I need to work on 120 points, although they of course expect me to do this in 6 months so looks like some hard work on my part. LORDY!!!

Thanks for your interest, and well done on your Bachelors Degree!!!

Scooby

• Been there
    Been there

You can do it Scooby. There is a bit of a difference between the first 240 and the last 120 points. Years of experience. You pick up alot that you don't think you do. You will breeze thru this. Look how far you have come so far. Good Luck.

• Brummie
    Brummie

I have my advanced certificates but I'm doing my social worker degree Scoob, very demanding, infact, so demanding I keep putting it down and forgetting to get back to it...

Brummie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

NHS are putting me through a Management course with the OU. It's level 3 study (60pt) and sux for difficulty!!!

120pt in six months? Good luck - you're gonna need it!!! Bwahahahahaha!!!!

On a brighter note, I got the results of an assignment, today - I expected 30-40% and got 61% (30% was required for a pass). I shall be celebrating tonight!

• avengers
    avengers
    I already have a Diploma in Higher Ed.

You know that Jehover frowns upon higher education?

The following quotation from a 1969 Watchtower article hints at how strongly the Society opposed higher learning. Making something of yourself is here classed as "Devil's propaganda." Notice the continuing theme that time is too short to waste it on education. They, claim that the only work with a future is Watchtower service:

?Many schools now have student counselors who encourage one to pursue higher education after high school, to pursue a career with a ­ future in this system of things. Do not be influenced by them. Do not let them "brainwash" you with the Devil's propaganda to get ahead, to make something of yourself in this world. The world has very little time left! Any "future" this world offers is no future! ... Make pioneer service, the full-time ministry, with the possibility of Bethel or missionary service your goal. This is a life that offers an everlasting future!?

The Watchtower, March 15, 1969, Article on pages 168- 1 73 titled "What Influences Decisions in Your Life?". Quote is from p. 171

So quit your job and go make poneer service, the time is very short!

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

School takes up a lot of your time, much more than just the time spent in class. I found that I could perform well if I worked full time and went to school part time, or if I went to school full time and worked part time (about 20 hours/week). However, it is do-able, I earned a Bachelors and a Masters degree in Earth/Environmental Science. While you will almost certainly have to give up some time-consuming activities, education can open doors for advancement in your career.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit