So I saw an old JW friend last night at ........the bar???

by Dustin 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

JWs' use bars all the time over here. My Dad held his servants meetings in the pub sometimes. Nothing wrong with being in a bar as far as UK dubs are concerned.

Englishman.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    JWs' use bars all the time over here. My Dad held his servants meetings in the pub sometimes. Nothing wrong with being in a bar as far as UK dubs are concerned.

Wow. I seriously doubt that would EVER happen stateside!

• Englishman
    Englishman
    Wow. I seriously doubt that would EVER happen stateside! Wow.

Really? I didn't know that. It's just a part of normal life for most of us. The dubs that won't use a bar (apart from those who don't like the taste of booze) are normally those from other backgrounds such as methodists or baptists. Visiting a bar would not be a reason for any disapproval from elders. Matter of fact, whenever I bump in a JW, it's almost invariably in a pub. Sometimes a whole bunch of them will go to a pub after the service meeting. Honcho Ron Drage at the London bethel loves a pint in a pub.

Englishman.

• undercover
    undercover

I went to bars as an active JW, but most "conservative" JWs in the rural area I grew up in considered bars as indecent places to go to. After visiting some of the bigger cities; Philly, DC, New York and saw that a good many JWs had no qualms with quaffing a few at a bar, I adapted that philosophy myself. Back home though I did get some grief over spending time in pool halls and bars, but I just learned to not talk about my social activities in front of the killjoys.

Having been to the UK and experiencing pubs firsthand I can see why the UK brothers don't see why bars are such a big deal. Local pubs over there aren't much different to them than people eating at a diner here as far as the people who frequent them. It really is a different atmosphere than what a lot of bars in the US have.

edit:

The dubs that won't use a bar (apart from those who don't like the taste of booze) are normally those from other backgrounds such as methodists or baptists.
    That's very true in the Southern US. A lot of Baptists teach that alcohol is straight from Satan and it has permeated attitudes down to this day even culminating in the "blue" laws in many of the Southern states. Laws like no alcohol sales on Sunday, no liquor by the drink in many places. Liqour has to be regulated by the state in state run liquor stores. It's crazy what power religion has over people and politics.
  • z
    z

Melmac

roflmao

• Dustin
    Dustin

I should have been a U.K. dub. I so would have fit in better. I just like to drink. I can be responsible with it when I want. Elders meetings at the pub? That sounds like my kind of meeting.

Dustin

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Too funny, Dustin.

Jean

• frozen one
    frozen one

I have a friend who used to dance at one of the local stripper bars. When she was a dancer she would call me once in a while to see if I could go out to eat with her during her break. One night she called and I headed down to pick her up. She was just coming off stage when I arrived so I ordered a beer and sat at the bar waiting for her. I looked around the bar and I noticed four guys who I recognized from the old circuit I belonged to. They were sitting at a table just behind pervert row. I left with my friend and I asked about the four bros. She didn't have much to say about them other then they were not very good tippers. When we got back to the bar I told her to ask the four, "Does Jehovah know you are here?" It didn't happen because they had left.

• mama
    mama

lol frozen one, i'll have to remember that line if i see a wit at a bar! here in canada many young ppl go to bars when they are wits, including pioneers, bethelites etc, they just keep their mouths shut, like a secret code of silence. It was always funny to see the pioneer who was sloshed on friday night, reading the watchtower on sunday morning and all the older ones of the hall saying, "what a fine young brother", Ha!

• londoner
    londoner

Next to the Assembly Hall for my ex circuit is a real big pub ( bar for you forigners, lol ), during the lunch interval you cant get to the counter for elders.

Also visiting a cong in Spain while on holidays there a while back they took a break while on the ministry and all stopped for a beer to cool off , it was hilarious, there was two 16 yr old's sittin drinking beer from a bottle with there mom and dad.

And while on a quick build in Germany they brought trays round to us all with shots of scnapps, drinking is a real big social thing for the JW's in Europe. They'r not to keen on lap dancing bars though, wonder why

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit