So I saw an old JW friend last night at ........the bar???

by Dustin 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Dustin
    Dustin

So I got home from a long day of work yesterday, and decided I was gonna go to the bar and chill out for a little while. So I'm sitting around talking to some other people I knew, when all of a sudden I see an ex-JW friend walk in. Now he was never great association, but my parents just told me how he was doing so well spiritually in our monthly "why don't you come back to the hall" conversation. Funny stuff as he sits and tries to witness to me as he's getting bombed. The classic line of the night was "if you come back they won't treat you any different". I told him that's why I left in the first place. It's funny when a drunk person is telling you how close to the time of the end we are. He keeps saying in his slurred speech "but you know it's the truth". So I asked him if it's the truth why aren't you following the rules and avoiding drunkeness? That's when he got mad and walked away. I also found out his ex-wife became a stripper. She was never great looking, so I'm wondering how that's working out for her. It's funny though because if I would have gone to the bar, and the elders knew, I would have been df'd on the spot. In other related news, about a week ago at the same bar I ran into a MS from my old congregation. He saw me and left in about 10 seconds, without saying a word to me. My how the mighty have fallen.

Dustin

• melmac
    melmac

Muslins do not recognize Christ as the Son of god.

Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader or christians.

Jdubs do not recognize each other at the bar.

• mamas
    mamas

LOOOOOOOOOOL! melmac that was good!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

ROFL....Melmac *writing that one down*

• bebu
    bebu
    My how the mighty have fallen.

And I will write down that line!

bebu

• Dustin
    Dustin

I like that line Melmac. Good stuff.

• undercover
    undercover

Funny you should mention that. I was in a bar the other night when down a couple of seats were two guys talking about Jesus. My ears perked up just a bit and I listened a little harder. It was hard to make out cause the bar was really busy and noisy, but one guy brought up JWs and he went on and on about what they believed. I thought he might have been an ex-JW(he was smoking) but then I heard him say that he studied with them for awhile. He even went in service a couple of times. I couldn't quite make it out, but something about what JWs teach about Jesus caused him to quit studying. He said he liked the fellowship and the sense of accomplishing something(whatever the hell that means) but "garble garble garble Jesus garble garble garble doesn't make sense and I garble garble garble so I quit going".

That's the second or third time I've been in a bar and had someone near me talk about JWs. I rarely see JWs in a bar, but people seem to like to talk about em.

• Dustin
    Dustin

Undercover, most of the time I hear JW's mentioned in a bar it's the punchline of a joke. But I also have heard similar conversations. One I can recall is an ex-JW talking about 1975, and how it ruined their life.

Dustin

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Yeah Good one Melmac

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

When I was a sister (gawd, I can't believe I just called myself that; it feels like it was someone else's life) I worked nights as a cocktail waitress at a Navy meatmarket bar. Yeah, I know, not a very theocratic form of employment, right? But a single girl's gotta pay those bills somehow.

On occasion, one or another of the local dubs would come in, always alone, always looking sneaky and scared. I felt bad for them...it's not right that a person should feel weird about such a normal human activity. Generally, when they saw me there, they'd beat a hasty retreat; one guy actually came up to tell me that he wouldn't tell anyone he'd seen me there, if I wouldn't narc on him. Poor fella just wanted to feel normal for a couple of hours.

In the bar my bf and I go to these days, there are never any witnesses, as it's sort of a rough crowd that goes there (bf and I being notable exceptions, of course.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit