The Slow Death of the WTS (from the WT 15 Feb 2005)

by ezekiel3 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

I will defer the details of this gem to Blondie when she sinks her teeth into the WT study articles scheduled for March 21-April 3. Until then sample this:

Watchtower 15 Feb 2005 "Christians - Be Proud of Who You Are!" (pg 12-16)

For genuine Christians, however, the pervasive spirit of halfheartedness and lack of zeal presents a danger. We cannot afford to become nonchalant about our faith and lose our zeal for serving God and for Bible truth. (paragraph 2)

A young man who was raised as a Christian recalled that he for a while had experienced a state of spiritual weakness: "At times, I felt I didn't know why I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I had been around the truth since infancy. Sometimes I felt that this was just another mainstream, accepted religion." ... Some Christains may occasionally go through periods of self-doubt and of a reassessment of their values and goals. (paragraph 6)

A Christian, in testing whether he is in the faith, must determine whether his words and deeds harmonize with his profession of faith. However, if misdirected, self-examination that prompts us to look for our "identity" or to search for answers outside our relationship with Jehovah or the Christian congregation will prove to be pointless and can be spiritually fatal. (paragraph 7)

Young people who have been raised as Jehovah's Witnesses do well to examine whether their Christian identity is becoming stronger based on a personal relationship with God. They cannot depend merely on the faith of their parents...Obviously, a halfhearted continuation of family tradition cannot sustain an intimate, long-term relationship with Jehovah. (paragraph 16)

The following article: "Safeguarding Our Christian Identity" (pg 17-22)

"Though I was attending Christian meetings," admitted on such youth, "I had no clear spiritual goals and, frankly, no crystallized desire to serve Jehovah." (paragraph 2)

If we begin to have disturbing questions about our Christian identity, it is time to examine closely the quality and depth of this relationship...Why is such an examination vital? Because we ourselves cannot be reliable assessors of our own deepest motives and innermost inclinations. (paragraph 7)

Our sense of identity as servants of Jehovah can weaken if it is not solidly based on knowledge of the Scriptures...Young Christians who belong to God-fearing families must realize they cannot live off the faith of their parents. (paragraph 9)

"Prove to yourself the good and acceptable will of God." Just how can we achieve that?...Jehovah's spirit can help us to comprehend even difficult subjects. We should pray for God's help when we are having problems understanding something. Jehovah wants us to understand his Word, believe it, and obey it. He welcomes honest questions asked with the right motive. (paragraph 10)

Our spiritual heritage can also infuse in us a deep sense of spiritual security that can be enjoyed only within Jehovah's organization. Reviewing remarkable events from the modern-day history of Jehovah's organization can impress upon us that no person or thing can eradicate Jehovah's people from the earth. (paragraph 16)

Take a moment to contemplate the many benefits and advantages we enjoy because we are true Christians. We have the privilege of being personally recognized by Jehovah...We can be viewed by God as his friends. Our lives are adorned by a clear sense of purpose, by deep meaning, and by wholesome, productive goals. And we have been given the hope of an eternal future. (paragraph 19)

I beg you Blondie, don't abbreviate your "Comments" on these articles. This is classic cult method for attrition. Yet more telling, the WT is opening acknowledging negative attitudes within the ranks. And this catch-phrase: "live off the faith of their parents." (Who does that anyway?)

"Take a moment to contemplate" exactly how desperately manipulating these articles are.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    Take a moment to contemplate" exactly how desperately manipulating these articles are.

this requires very little contemplation --- the manipulation stands out very clearly; and you're right - it does sound desperate!

if misdirected, self-examination that prompts us to look for our "identity" or to search for answers outside our relationship with Jehovah or the Christian congregation will prove to be pointless and can be spiritually fatal.

every article they publish counsels readers not to think, not to examine themselves, not to trust, etc.

this clearly seems like "doublespeak":

If we begin to have disturbing questions about our Christian identity, it is time to examine closely the quality and depth of this relationship...Why is such an examination vital? Because we ourselves cannot be reliable assessors of our own deepest motives and innermost inclinations. (paragrap

how can they tell you to "examine closely" while at the same time tell you that you cannot be a reliable assessor of your own deepest motives and innermost inclinations? and..if YOU can't, who on Earth can?! this is postitively phantasmagorical...

"The unexamined life is not worth living," - Socrates

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

they seem to be pleading a lot more lately. i read the daily text every day... and lately it's only been about the faithful and discreet slave and how we can worship them every day... they might be beating dead donkeys

bethel

• jgnat
    jgnat

Perhaps this is an indication that the former great flood of monetary contribution has slowed to a trickle. Gee, I sure hope so.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

as they say - watch this space

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Some Christains may occasionally go through periods of self-doubt

I dig the fact that if you're doubting, it's "self-doubt".

Dave

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I think these kinds of articles are self-defeating. They are digging their own graves. This is the type of shit that got me thinking and made me get the hell out of that crap.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

If these pitiful bleatings didn't actually beat the sheep into thinking THEY are at fault (once again), it would be funny.

So much for "food from Jehovah" dispensed by the Indiscreet Foolish Ones.

Annie

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I think these kinds of articles are self-defeating. They are digging their own graves. This is the type of shit that got me thinking and made me get the hell out of that crap. EXACTLY

• proplog2
    proplog2

Just saying the end is coming "soon" is not sufficient to convince people to set aside their life plans to preach. While it may be true that you don't need a target date to live a decent life you DO need a target date if you want people to urgently preach. All of the dates have been jettisoned. What do they expect people to do?

Isn't one of the end-signs that the love of the greater number would cool off? I think the official JW interpretation of that scripture is that the world's love would cool off - not the congregations. But the world supposedly never had love and that's why the true religion would be known for their love. It does appear that love among JW's has cooled off.

Supposedly God has produced a nation. Either something extraordinary has to be done with that nation or it will collapse. What are your bets?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit