The Slow Death of the WTS (from the WT 15 Feb 2005)

by ezekiel3 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Looks to me like further confirmation the the Society has an identity crisis. I don't thing they really know what they are or what they stand for any more. Most, including elders, COs, DOs simply go through the motions.

The zeal of the early year has evaporated since the mid 70's.

Eyeslice

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

This is soo true. I was the only person taking notes and paying attention at the meetings as far as I could see when I tried to go back last time. Thats why I disassociated myself. Because when you really pay attention you realize how its all a bunch of theories.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    The Two Babylons was a rather crazy book, with many parallels to the Watchtower beliefs. I began to wonder if Watchtower beliefs were just as crazy and began to examine them from a different perspective.

HA! Same with me! Different book but the same idea with me it was "The Salmon of Doubt" by the late great Douglas Adams one of the best books in the last 2.4 million years! The essay about the cult that believes that the rings of Saturn are in fact a 8,000 mile long salmon biting it's own tail was a real eye opener I realized that they used the same logic to support the giant fish theory that the WBTS uses for many of their arguments that was the begining of the end for me!

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

BTTT

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

self-examination that prompts us to look for our "identity"

(Said in a faux-concerned voice with finger-quotes)

Yes, brothers, some have fallen into the trap of being "introspective" and giving serious "thought" to what they are doing with their "lives."

Sheesh.

SNG

• Englishman
    Englishman

Maybe they could get the numbers up by prohibiting contraception and DF'ing everyone who didn't have sex 6 times a week?

Englishman.

• Swan
    Swan
    Maybe they could get the numbers up by prohibiting contraception and DF'ing everyone who didn't have sex 6 times a week?

It would have to be 5 nights a week. There are 2 meeting nights.

Tammy

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Most cults inflate themselves to the point of bursting. This is inevitable because of the erratic behavior of their leaders. It is always just a matter of time before the leadership does something profoundly stupid that causes everyone to leave.

This cult is different in that they run it like a corporation... a book-publishing corporation. The result is that instead of suddenly bursting as a result of a profoundly stupid change, they make changes slowly by committee and by approval of a board of directors and lawyers. When there is a crisis, they don't make profound decrees from "god", instead they enact corporate damage control.

Their "balloon" will not suddenly burst, instead it will simply stop growing and over time their "balloon" will slowly deflate... getting smaller and smaller... sinking closer and closer to the floor until it is a sad deflated balloon waiting to be tossed in the trash.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Tammy: It would have to be 5 nights a week. There are 2 meeting nights.

Sounds like they will find a new use for the "back room".

• garybuss
    garybuss

Bethel is cranking up the heat, that's for sure. It takes a lot of inducement to make people want to do something that is not fun, and now since 1995 . . . doesn't make sense, and since 2000 . . . their leaders have quit their director's jobs and in essence are "doing less" . . . . while asking their volunteer workers to "do more".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit