Respect - what is it?

by Norm 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Norm
    Norm

Aretha Franklin sings about respect and the word is frequently used in all languages.
    The definition of the word can be : respect, esteem, regard -- (an attitude of admiration or esteem, held in esteem). Many people seem to think that respect automatically follows a position or office, like for instance a President, a Bishop, a Prime Minister or similar lofty titles. Others hold that respect has to be earned and shouldn't be automatic and points to the often obvious fact that some people holding high offices often show themselves to be utter bastards and corrupt crooks that deserves no respect. Those on the automatic respect side then usually falls back to the argument that you have to respect the "office" even if it is currently occupied by a scoundrel.

It seems like the word respect means different things to different people and many don't seem to have any conscious idea of what it means but throws it around because they have heard others using it.

I would like to look at the use of this word in relation to religion. The recent Tsunami disaster in Asia did as usual in cases of tragedies of such magnitude cause the inevitable "God" question to the forefront. The more intelligent representatives of various religions was very quiet and didn't say much but mostly limited themselves to comforting people in a more general and noncommittal way. The people leaning towards more fundamentalist ideology made their usual endearing ideas of divine punishment for some kind of particularly sinful behavior on the part of the victims or even hinted that they had the wrong kind of faith. As usual they all had in common, the view that God is fantastic and what a marvelous thing faith is and how much comfort God gives all in their "hour of need." As usual it seems like God is only interested in helping and comforting people AFTER such a disaster, before it happened he appears to have been sleeping or had his attention elsewhere, perhaps monitoring peoples various use of their genitals, which judging from many religious leaders constant rants, seem to be his major interest.

Another and perhaps less known example of the complete lack of interest from this wonderful God is taking place in Ethiopia. In the paper New York times issue of May 16, 2003 there appeared an article with the title: "Alone and Ashamed". I quote:

"Dr. Catherine Hamlin, 79, is an Australian gynecologist who has spent the last 44 years in Addis Ababa, quietly toiling in impossible conditions to achieve the unimaginable. She has helped 24,000 women overcome obstetric fistulas, a condition almost unknown in the West but indescribably hideous for millions of sufferers in the poorest countries in the world.
    It typically occurs when a teenage girl cannot deliver a baby because it is too big for her pelvis. After several days of labor without access to a doctor, the baby dies and the girl is left with a hole between her bladder, vagina and sometimes rectum. The result is that urine and sometimes feces drip constantly down her legs. In some cases, she is also left lame from nerve damage.
    Women with fistulas stink and leave a trail of urine behind them. They are often abandoned by their husbands and driven out by other villagers."
    I happened to see and interview with Dr Hamlin on some show on US television, where she was doing some fundraising to this extremely worthy cause. It all went well until someone started to bring God into the equation and as usual how people should pray for these unfortunate children and how God would help them. No one did of course ever breached the obvious subject that maybe God would best help these poor children if he could do something about the attitude of the deeply religious bastards that impregnates them. Maybe do something about the despicable religion that holds females to be mere property and regards children as legitimate sexual objects, a religion that is little more then institutionalized pedophilia. Speaking of pedophilia, in Iran, a female is considered a woman from the age of 9, as is the case in many Moslem countries. I think we can all imagine what might happen under such circumstances."

One thing is for certain though, God doesn't seem to be much concerned about such matters as they have been going on for thousands of years, but according to his devoted followers, he's quite fantastic with the victims, but alas only after the fact. Prevention of such incredibly evil and inhuman behavior seems to totally lacking in priority from Gods agenda.
    Now of course most religions have some good sides, otherwise they would hopefully not exist, but are those good sides enough to balance out such horrible atrocities? I think not.
    Do such religions deserve any respect? I think not. So what am I saying, shouldn't we respect peoples religion? No, we shouldn't. We should never respect any religion in any way. Do we respect the ideology of a Nazi? Well, most of us don't. That's because we have been educated to a large degree about the evils of that particular ideology. Religion seems to have been able to escape from such scrutiny and actually demand that all people should "respect" it just because it falls under the category of religion. So it has become a kind of mindless mantra that "we must respect" his, hers, their religion. No we must not, indeed we should not!

If we get to know a good and kind person, which earns our respect as a human being, s/he invariable is so in spite of his/hers religion, it is never ever because of it. We can only relate to each other in any meaningful way on a personal level and only on that level can we give each other respect. We can never truly respect a person's religious superstition, fantasies and more or less insane ideas about some imaginary invisible realm.

Norm

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    As usual it seems like God is only interested in helping and comforting people AFTER such a disaster, before it happened he appears to have been sleeping or had his attention elsewhere, perhaps monitoring peoples various use of their genitals, which judging from many religious leaders constant rants, seem to be his major interest

I was raised a Lutheran. And I never "got" the disconnection between disaster or horror manifested in human kind and God. It was always explained away as "contrast" or "punishment" or unexplainable which was the worst.

I could never understand why I was expected to believe in someone who would create such havoc and pain and then not explain why and still expect me to believe after that.

I will however, continue to believe in others' rights to believe in things they have found solace in along the way. If it works for them, let them have it. This road it tough enough.

• Norm
    Norm

Hi xena,

You said:

I will however, continue to believe in others' rights to believe in things they have found solace in along the way. If it works for them, let them have it. This road it tough enough.

Indeed, people have the right to believe in whatever they want, but I don't have to respect their belives. I see no reason to respect people who belive that they can have sex with 9 year old girls because their God somehow think it is a good idea.
    I don't respect people who think they can dictate to others wheter they should accept blood components as a medical treatment either.

Norm

• Golf
    Golf

I always remember my granmother's words, "Never make fun of people in a derogatory manner, it will come back to haunt you."

Respect to me is ALLOWING you to believe that Donald Duck or Bugs Bunny is your God. I will NOT impose my views on others.

Respect means minding your own business.

Guest77

• Will Power
    Will Power

and for evil to thrive - good people do nothing.

I find it very hard to "respect" someone - religion or not - who continue to hurt people in the name of their god, If asked how the hell they think they deserve to get away with it - their house of cards is somehow my fault? Now I'm the one being disrespectful?

yeah, ok

wp

• Norm
    Norm

You said,

always remember my granmother's words, "Never make fun of people in a derogatory manner, it will come back to haunt you."

Respect to me is ALLOWING you to believe that Donald Duck or Bugs Bunny is your God. I will NOT impose my views on others.

Respect means minding your own business.

Guest77

No one can hinder anyone believing whatever no matter how insane it might seem. The problem with any true believer is that he will indeed impose his faith (views) on you. Some times he will kill you if you don't convert. I do not respect any religion even when they manage their own business. Unfortunately they only mind their own business as long as they are in a minority, when they are in a majority, they will mind your business too, if you don't like it, you will suffer and die. I think your grandmother should have thought a little longer about it all.

If you don't challenge such "handed down wisdom" the world will never move on. Instead of passivly listening to complete drivel we must challenge it and ask the people who repeat all the age old nonsense to explain it all. They will soon discover that they can't, simply because it just don't make sense and then maybe they will actually start to think. If people hadn't challenged such beliefs we would still think the wold is flat.

Allowing people to wallow in superstition and fantasy without challenging them in a polite and nonconfrontational manner is showing that you don't care and that's disrespect in my book.

Norm

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

At one point in my 30 years as a JW, my hubby was feeling pretty neglected when the rest of us were at a DC out of town. He had been out of work and financially things were a mess. He was at home with a lot of time to spare and got pretty (verbally) nasty with all of us for a few months.

During the DC I approached our PO and asked him what to do......it was so tense at home and everyone was a wreck from walking on eggshells all the time. I said I'm supposed to respect him as our head but with all the nit-picking on what WE were doing (or *not* doing well enough) I was having a tough time anywhere NEAR respecting him lately.

Elder said that we can't give respect automatically---and that respect must be earned and maintained.

That was in 1973, and I'm still trying to figure out how it applies as a blanket statement.

Annie

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

"You think all opinions are worth respect?

I think not.

It's my opinion.

Respect it."

Jacques Prévert

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Funny Narkissos that I have to come read into an English forum to hear about Jacques Prévert (Thanks for the culture) I truly miss that !!! But it's like I'm not interested if I have to read it in a book ... it's always more interesting to me when we talk about things in its context ...

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Norm,

I think that while a religion or features of a religion may garner disrespect, there are individuals who do not practice the negative extremes of their religion. They rise above and practice the good found in their religion. In my opinion, these can be respected though disagreed with.

Sabrina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit