Green Bible/Black Bible...?

by Gill 32 Replies latest jw friends

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown
    My friend who was on a pioneering holiday in some remote Scottish island, told me they had to stop using the green bible. The locals apparently would only speak to them if their bibles were black.

I'm sure that some people may have not liked the Green Bible, but this was not the reason they switched the Bibles to being black (although I'm sure the GB just loves it when people believes these Urban Legends). Other than the Genesis time period covered being switched, as I mentioned earlier, I'm sure they had other BIGGER motives than people not liking the colour. Their naivete of believing in the literal 7,000 year creative day (leading to the 1975 fiasco) was something they had to distance themselves from, but I am hoping Alan F or others here can expose other reasons. Brad (By the way, I also heard that the Irish people want the Green Bibles back..... lol)

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Onacruse,

I know that my mum has quite a few of the old publications because she would consider it sacriligeous to take them down to the tip, or throw them out. She used to study with an elderly annointed sister in the 1960's who gave a a lot of the old books from Russells and Rutherfords day. I have a sneaking suspicion, that when the congregation library was 'renovated' my dad took the old....old.....old original Watchtower and Golden Age Volumes. They are very big, with gold embossed writing and a very dark green colour. They also have some of the books with the scary pictures in that I was not allowed to look in when I was little. When they go on holiday, or maybe before I will have a sneaky look. Since they are seriously piss poor I may suggest I sell them on ebay. God! I can hear my mother's screams of 'NO!' just thinking about it.

I know I've mentioned this before when I've posted on here but my husband's family goes way back with the Witnesses all the way to Pastor Russells day. We had many of the old, first Bible students books. When we found the truth about the 'trooth' my husband scooted them down to the local tip so fast I hardly saw them go out of the door. We could have been sitting pretty now. Oh well!

• HappyDad
    HappyDad
    have a sneaking suspicion, that when the congregation library was 'renovated' my dad took the old....old.....old original Watchtower and Golden Age Volumes. They are very big, with gold embossed writing and a very dark green colour. They also have some of the books with the scary pictures in that I was not allowed to look in when I was little.

Gill,

That stuff is worth a small fortune on eBay. Just check what some of the stuff is going for. I have listed right now the book "Faith On The March" by A.H. Macmillan and the bids are up to $31.00 US and still have days to go on the auction.

HappyDad

• TD
    TD

Actually the answer to that question is more complicated than you would think at first.

The New World Translation was released in six stages from 1950 though 1960:

New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures 1950

New World Translation of the Hebrew Scriptures vol. I 1953

New World Translation of the Hebrew Scriptures vol. II 1955

New World Translation of the Hebrew Scriptures vol. III 1957

New World Translation of the Hebrew Scriptures vol. IV 1958

New World Translation of the Hebrew Scriptures vol. V 1960

On June 23, 1961, one compact version (1466 pages) was released. Although JW literature today claims that Witnesses were "overjoyed" with this realease, many of them were disappointed with the omision of the marginal cross-references, footnotes and appendix that they had become used to.

In 1963, two other editions were released. One was a pocket sized edtion and the other was the "Large print original edition." Basically this was all six original volumes bound together in their original format. (3600+ pages) More recent JW publications (e.g. The Proclaimers book) refer to this as the "Students Edtion." However it is often colloquially known among collectors as the "Fat Boy."

(Original 1963 and 1961 NWT's)

The "Fat Boy" was only published for a few years, and today they are fairly rare. The slimmer 1961 edtion subsequently became the standard Bible of most JW's. In 1962, it became available in either the Standard (Green hardcover) and Deluxe (Black or maroon soft cover) bindings.

The New World Translation has been revised several times since 1961. It was revised both in 1970 and again 1971 with the release of a large print edition, but the binding remained the same for standard size Bibles.

In 1981, the 1971 revision was given a new binding and the copyright was renewed. This was the end of the "Green Bible" as standard and Deluxe bindings were both black. The interesting maps on the inside covers (The Ancient World & Paul's Jouneys) with lattitude and longitude, cultural figures, whales and a dinosaur were also replaced.

However this Bible (1971 edition + 1981 binding) was only published for a few years and these are also becoming somewhat uncommon today. In 1984, the New World Translation was again revised, the copyright was renewed, and it was given a slightly different binding in both standard and large print edtions. Cross references and footnotes were added. (or more accurately, added back)

(1981 and 1984 NWT's -- Deluxe bindings)

So when it comes to the textual differences between these Bibles you can see there is not a simple answer (e.g. Green vs. Black) because we are dealing with multiple revisions and multiple bindings and no concise listing of all the differences between all the edtions.

On page 1445 and 1446 of 1971 editions a list of changes is given. These include words replaced, words transposed, words added, words deleted, etc. Whether these changes are "major" or "minor" largely depends upon your religious beliefs. (or lack thereof)

Most of them appear minor to me. The handful of things that strike me as objectionable in the NWT (e.g. John 17:3) have been there right from the beginning.

Tom

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Here's some differences that I had kept track of. I probably would have written down more if I carried a pen with me. I highlighted the differences.

Gen 21:23

Green 1961
    So now swear to me here by God that you will not prove false to me and to my offspring and to my posterity; that, according to the loving-kindness with which I have dealt with you, you will deal with me and with the land in which you have been residing as an alien.

Black 1984
    So now swear to me here by God that you will not prove false to me and to my offspring and to my posterity; that, according to the loyal love with which I have dealt with you, you will deal with me and with the land in which you have been residing as an alien.

Acts 17:23

Green 1961

For instance, while passing along and carefully observing your objects of devotion I also found an altar on which had been inscribed 'To an unknown God.' Therefore what you are unknowingly giving godly devotion to, this I am publishing to you.

Black 1984

For instance, while passing along and carefully observing your objects of veneration I also found an altar on which had been inscribed 'To an unknown God.' Therefore what you are unknowingly giving godly devotion to, this I am publishing to you.

Acts 14:23

Green 1961

Moreover, they appointed older men to office for them in the congregation and, offering prayer with fastings, they committed them to Jehovah in whom they had become believers.

Black 1984

Moreover, they appointed older men for them in each congregation and, offering prayer with fastings, they committed them to Jehovah in whom they had become believers.

• Gill
    Gill

So far, it appears that the major thing they wanted to change was the 7000 year creation problem all leading to that unfortunate date of 1975. The rest appear to be minor language changes. But the sheer volume of changes in itself is interesting. Not to mention colour changes. Green, black, burgundy or maroon. Is it a publishing gimmick. People used to have a bible that lasted for their family. If there are minor changes is it so that a new one will have to be purchased?

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Is there an echooooooooo in here.

lol

Orangefatcat

• snakeizz
    snakeizz

LOL....at the hot pink song book...Did you guys ever notice that they switched the titles of the songbooks...the hot pink one was entitled "Singing with Accompanied...sumthin"...and was changed to the now standard "Sing Praises To Jehovah"....I think it's because we had new songs too...all of the "pinkies" didn't make it to the new one....

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Do the Brooklyn Bethel buildings still have 'Bible Green' trim??

Or have they now adopted a more neutral color???

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I think the pink songbook was called "Singing and Accompanying yourselves with Music in your Hearts" or something along those lines.

I always thought that the green bibles were for identifing newbies and those who were studing. Green bible and the paper type pink songbook were for those who were new in the "truth".

Once you were in for a while, you "upgraded" to the Black bible and the "Deluxe" Pink songbook.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit