Green Bible/Black Bible...?

by Gill 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Can any one tell me what the 'significant differences' are between the old Green Bible and new Black Bible?

Having been a JW for almost forty years I never knew of a difference except that my mum is the only JW I know who still uses one. Is it possible that I could show her anything 'interesting'?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I used one for quite a while because I thought it was cool having the green bible. I think there's a list of differences written in the back of it. I'll see if I can find it when I get home.

• Dustin
    Dustin

Yeah, the green one had some bitchin pictures in the cover. When I was a kid I had an overactive imagination, and I could waste half the meeting looking at those pictures.

Dustin

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The newer black one has marginal references and a few small text revisions. Oh yeah, and a black cover instead of green.

• blondie
    blondie

Green Bible and hot pink song book....ugh

I think they got a good deal on that cover material....the only green one I have left is one in German for sentimental reasons.

I'm surprised they didn't change the colors every few years to make a few extra bucks.

I can't imagaine God putting people in charge of paradise that could produce a green Bible and a hot pink song book.

Blondie

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    I can't imagaine God putting people in charge of paradise that could produce a green Bible and a hot pink song book.

Blondie

LOLOLOL!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

That's funny talking about the old pink song book. Years ago, some friends and I would refer to it as the DDP songbook......

DDP=Dog Dink Pink....... The insiders on our joke would always get a big laugh...

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

Hi Gill!

The main differences were that the Black cover version had loads of cross references, the Green one was a lot more basic. It also had really thin pages that were more like tracing paper. I think the black covered one had better quality pages.

As far as I can remember there wasn't any differences in terms of content.

FF

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    Yeah, the green one had some bitchin pictures in the cover. When I was a kid I had an overactive imagination, and I could waste half the meeting looking at those pictures.

Those maps on the inside were cool. I used to draw pictures on them of people having swordfights. Boy, did I get busted for that big time.

laters

kaykay_mp

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

If you're talking about the 1961 Green Bible that was phased out in 1984 with the newer one, then I have one major difference to tell you about. In the back of the Bibles, you will find the "Table of the Books of the Bible".

In the column "Time Covered" for Genesis, the Green Bible says (going from memory.. don't have one anymore) "46, 026 B.C.E to 1657 B.C.E". The newer one says "In the beginning to 1657 B.C.E."

The reason for this is that the lughead JW's thought that the universe was created in six 7,000 year periods. This is also why they thought 1975 was going to be the end of "this old system." It was the 6,000th year (in their opinion) of man's existence and Jesus' 1,000 year reign was going to coincide with yet another of God's 7,000 year periods.

Have fun with that one when you tell your mother.

Brad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit