Argument from an elder on why to not leave the JWs...

by undercover 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

This one I cannot wait to use on my parents, family, or JW door knockers:

Deut 18: 20-22 NWT rev 1984

20 ?However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. 21 And in case you should say in your heart: ?How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?? 22 when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him.?

Note, Deut. comes AFTER the Exodus!

• M.J.
    M.J.

Good point, Brenda. Now that I think about it, why was Jehovah setting up criteria in the first place on how to identify as a true vs. false prophet? If Isreal truly was Jehovah's "organization" just like the WTS, wouldn't the Isrealites already know that thier leaders were the true prophets, no matter what they prophesied?.. And that anyone besides the leaders who prophesied were false prophets, no matter what they prophesied?

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Something like a Prophet walking his talk, verses a Prophet with his foot (or both) stuck in his mouth?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

There have been some excellent answwers already.

It is a pretty standard piece of WT reasoning, and one that I can recall using and I still hear it all the time. it stems from the witness inability to differentiate between loyalty to God, and loyalty to the Organisation. To the Dub mind they are one and the same . this is despite the fact that they preach the concept of a "Relationship with Jehovah" being paramont. In reality they mean a relationship with the Org. We know what has happened to many posters here when their conscience and study of the Bible has led them to different conclusions to that Org?

When they call on other people to put their conscience above their loyalty to their church, it of course excludes their own organisation

• steve2
    steve2

There have been some really powerful and thoughtful responses in this thread. I especially agree with BluesBrother. It's the Watchtower's smug "let's-criticise-everyone-else but make-excuses-for-ourselves" mentality that first evoked the sense in me that the WTS was nothing but a self-appointed prophet who mistook loudness and brashness for truth and acountability.

• el jarocho mayor
    el jarocho mayor

Wait on Jehovah!? My ass....Jehovah can wait on me. nuff said.

• Klaus Vollmer
    Klaus Vollmer

I found some interesting answers here to that topic.

Regarding my thinking to this theme I recognize:

IN the past gods nations priests and king who were not loyal to Jehovah and who betrayed him got their penalty. 'And so file & Ranks who were loyal to their leaders. That took playe when Assyria took the 10 tribe kingdom of Israel, that took place when nabucco and Babylon took Judah and that took place, when Rome to Jerusalem. Always the leaders kille those who said the truth. The Bord does it too today. They set them on a heap of fire when they claim some people who cant accept certain behaviors as apostates.

In fact I compare those disfellowshipped in case ob faith with those "rebels" of the catholic church who were sacrivfice of inquisition and died in the fire.

The WTS is guilty in making itsself to be a god. I have now problem that the intense of the teaching is to honour the name of god and to proclaim his kingdom, an advantage less others do it the same.

But I know that first comes the leaving of the faith - Apostacy - then the end. And that an end will come is surely correct as man shows that he is not able to keep the planet alive.

Here are some interesting things to be found : http://www.bibledecoded.com/

K.V.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    just like the WTS, wouldn't the Isrealites already know that thier leaders were the true prophets,

Isrealite prophets were not necessarily their leaders.

With the WTS they have their corporate structure and leadership. Then they have their spiritual "oracle" the Governing Body.

• M.J.
    M.J.
    Isrealite prophets were not necessarily their leaders...Then they have their spiritual "oracle" the Governing Body

That's kind of my point--that drawing comparisons between the WTS and the nation of Israel doesn't wash.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit