The Battle For God

by Shakita 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Shakita
    Shakita

I have been reading a book by Karen Armstrong entitled: The Battle For God. In this book she relates the history of the big three religions, Christianity, Islam and Judaism from about the 1400's to our day. I highly recommend this book for everyone here to read. She covers this topic from a unique perspective that I hadn't considered before. There was a point that I felt compelled to share because it makes Charles Taze Russell into a liar.

Russell pointed to 1914 as the end of all things. When 1914 did arrive and Russell's expectations weren't realized, he just put another spin on things. We didn't get all the details right, but something significant did happen in 1914. The Wt even quotes a magazine article which referred to this extraordinary prophecy of Russell's that supposedly came true. You know, Russell et.al, were continually pointing to 1914 and saying watch out for that year. Their claim was that everything was hunky dory in the world prior to 1914 and that the world's atmosphere was one of optimism and good tidings for the future. Then, shock of all shocks, The Great War breaks out suddenly and unexpectedly to a horrified world. This is the scenario that the WT would like us to believe, but what are the facts.

On pages 136, 137 of Karen Armstrong's book, The Battle For God, she brings out an astonishing point that demolishes the WT's claim that the Great War was a sudden and shocking, unexpected cataclysm visited on the world. Here is what she writes. I quote:

"After the Franco-Prussian War, the nations of Europe began a frantic arms race which led them inexorably to the First World War. They appeared to see war as a Darwinian necessity in which only the fittest would survive. A modern nation must have the biggest army and the most murderous weapons that science could provide, and Europeans dreamed of a war that would purify the nation's soul in a harrowing apotheosis. (Here is the key point) THE BRITISH WRITER I.F. CLARKE HAS SHOWN THAT BETWEEN 1871 AND 1914 IT WAS UNUSUAL TO FIND A SINGLE YEAR IN WHICH A NOVEL OR SHORT STORY DESCRIBING A HORRIFIC FUTURE WAR DID NOT APPEAR IN SOME EUROPEAN COUNTRY. THE NEXT GREAT WAR WAS IMAGINED AS A TERRIBLE BUT INEVITABLE ORDEAL: OUT OF THE DESTRUCTION, THE NATION WOULD ARISE TO A NEW AND ENHANCED LIFE. At the very end of the nineteenth century, however, British novelist H. G. Wells punctured this utopian dream in The War of the Worlds (1898) and showed where it was leading. There was terrifying images of London depopulated by biological warfare, and the roads of England crowded with refugees. He could see the danger of military technology that had been drawn into the field of the exact sciences. He was right. The arms race led to the Somme and when the Great War broke out in 1914, the people of Europe, WHO HAD BEEN DREAMING OF THE WAR TO END ALL WARS FOR FORTY YEARS, entered with enthusiasm upon this conflict, which could be seen as the collective suicide of Europe. Despite the achievements of modernity, there was a nihilistic death wish, as the nations of Europe cultivated a perverse fantasy of self-destruction."

Contrary to Russell's claims that the nations of Europe were filled with optimism and oblivious to the collision course with a World War, for forty years the nations of Europe were gearing up for this very thing. I. F. Clarke makes it plain that from 1871 to 1914 there were short stories and novels that pointed forward to the inevitability of a catastophic World War. The arms race was gearing up the European nations for this very conflict that Russell claimed they didn't see coming. So, the conditions of the world at the end of the nineteenth and into the early twentieth century were actually pointing inevitably toward a great conflict. The Great War was not a shocking and sudden surprise, but was a war that had been expected for forty years. Russell just put an effective spin on things so that some people would be duped into believing that he had uttered a prophecy that was fulfilled in 1914. Later generations could then be manipulated into believing that Russell was indeed a prophet from God. Yet, if those people had just read the history of that period, they would see the truth of the matter. Russell and the Watchtower counted on the gullibility of their adherents. My advise for all lurkers out there is to investigate for yourselves. Don't rely on individuals that have as their aim your devotion and adulation.

Mr. Shakita

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

I recommend all of Karen Armstrong's books. Very eye opening, to say the least.

Joy

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I've read a number of books by Karen Armstrong. Her story of leaving her life as a nun in the Catholic Church is just as poignant as any JW's story. It's in the book "Begining the World" if you can find it. She rewrote her story in a recently released book "The Spiral Staircase."

Her books on Islam, Buddhism, are also excellent.

• Shakita
    Shakita

Hey Joy and MegaDude,

What I have read so far is astonishing. If any potential JW would just read one of her books before they got baptized then they wouldn't go through with it. I was going to get one of her books about her personal story, but I opted for her book: A History of God: The 4,000-year Quest of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Her personal story seems to parallel our experience as JW's. I sense a deep and abiding understanding of what she is relating. It is not just a dry retelling of the history of the major religions, but it is told with an amazing insight for the whys of the various religions.

Mr. Shakita

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

One simple point I liked in Karen's book about the history of God was that El was the name for god. Thus Bethel now makes sense. There was no "jah" in that word. So "house of god" is house of el.. . . Bethel.

And Moses would learn the "I AM" since none of his ancestors knew him as such. Jehovah was one of the 70 sons of EL and thus the Isrealites got to know Jehovah instead of El.

Oh well, I'm impressed easily.

Joy

• Justin
    Justin

Russell was well aware of the arms race taking place in his day. One only needs to read Studies in the Scriptures, Volume IV, Study V ("Babylon Before the Great Court Her Confusion - National"), first published in 1897, in which he states: "The fear of impending revolution is driving every nation in 'Christendom' to extravagant preparations for war." (p. 133) It's online at http://www.agsconsulting.com/htdbnon/htdb0111.htm . Russell was expecting a class war between capital and labor, and thought that the armaments would be used to try to put down the revolutionaries. He initially expected this struggle to be finished by 1914. See my posts on "Russell's Armageddon" - http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/83014/1.ashx and http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/83015/1.ashx .Russell had no incentive at all to portray his age as a time of peace, as he thought that the last days had commenced prior to 1914. But after his death, the Society had every incentive to contrast the pre-1914 period with the post-1914 one, because now 1914 was being heralded as the beginning of the end.

Some historians would consider the period between the defeat of Napoleon (1915) and the outbreak of World War I to be a relatively peaceful one, though it did experience the revolutions of 1848, the American Civil War, the Boer War, etc. I do think 1914 was a major watershed in history. But we mustn't confuse Russell's thinking with that of his successors.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I was just going to write pretty much the same as you did, but you did beat me with some minutes ........ So I can just support you in your message; Russell pointed to all the wars, arms race etc. of his time and used that as proof that they were living in the last days full of problems as described in the Bible. The notion these years were peaceful, appeared later on, when the problems only increased and made the pre-1914 problems seem insignificant.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I too have been reading this book. It is a difficult read, but very interesting. It was this book that opened my eyes and helped me see that CT Russell was just another upstart end of times religion and very simailar to so many others. He was nothing special. Just another doomsdayer.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have read a lot of the popular literature of the day (late 19th century - 1920s), and one story in particular that stands out in my mind was an unpublished short story -- presently in manuscript form at a museum archives -- written around 1915 or so which described the development of a ray gun that would destroy anything in its path, and could obliterate whole cities. This ultimate weapon was responsible for ending all war on earth, for it was so powerful and since every national power had one, no one dared to use it. The story thus drew from the same idealism discussed in your quote. The Cold War reality was quite different -- yes we rarely dared to use them, but mass production technology and scientific advancement led the powers to stockpile tons of nukes and make them more and more lethal, and their existence has not only failed to prevent war but has even been used now to legitimize war (e.g. citing WMD in selling the Iraq War).

• under74
    under74

That's a really good book. I wasn't so fond of her book A History of God though...it's informative but hard to read...just style and word choice problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit