The Battle For God

by Shakita 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Shakita
    Shakita

Hi Justin,

You wrote:

Russell had no incentive at all to portray his age as a time of peace, as he thought that the last days had commenced prior to 1914. But after his death, the Society had every incentive to contrast the pre-1914 period with the post-1914 one, because now 1914 was being heralded as the beginning of the end.

Thanks for the clarification Justin. Are you saying that Russell didn't paint a rosy picture of the pre-1914 generation? I'm assuming that you are saying that Rutherford, et.al, were putting a post 1914 spin on things when they said that the pre-1914 generation was filled with optimism for the future. I know that the WT leadership has a way of distorting the truth after the fact to make those facts fit their version of fulfilled prophecy.

I also recognize that after Russell's failed prophecy that the spin was that, aha, this isn't the end as we thought, but it is the beginning of the end. Silly us! We're just the most excellent kidders!

Mr. Shakita

• AlanF
    AlanF

Shakita, Justin is indeed correct that Russell didn't view his time as peaceful, but quite the opposite. I was amazed when I read in some of his writings how gloomy a picture he painted of the period leading up to 1914. Until close to 1904 he predicted that, no later than 1904, a great series of battles would begin, leading to a final end of all earthly kingdoms by 1914. In 1904 he moved the timing of these battles to about 1910, and after that to 1914 or 1915. It was Rutherford who began the series of lies that result in today's distorted history of the time as told by the Watchtower Society.

AlanF

• Shakita
    Shakita

Hi Alan,

You wrote:

It was Rutherford who began the series of lies that result in today's distorted history of the time as told by the Watchtower Society.

I should have known that the WT put a post-1914 spin on things. I am surprised to learn of Russell's gloomy picture of things leading up to 1914.

Karen Armstrong's book, The Battle For God comments on premillenialism on pages 137, 138. Russell's beliefs were not unique. Many American Protestants were espousing premillenialism and supposing that the time had come for the ultimate battle between God and Satan. Here is the quote:

"The secular genre of the "future war" which so entranced the people of Europe, did not attract the more religious Americans. Instead, some developed a more consuming interest than ever before in eschatology, dreaming of a Final War between God and Satan, which would bring this evil society to a richly deserved end. The new apocalyptic vision that took root in America during the late nineteenth century is called premillenialism, because it envisaged Christ returning to earth before he established his thousand-year reign. (The older and more optimistic postmillenialism of the Enlightenment, which was still cultivated by liberal Protestants, imagiined human beings inaugurating God's Kingdom by their own efforts: Christ would only return to the earth after the millenium was established.) The new premillenialism was preached in America by the Englishman John Nelson Darby (1800-82), who found few followers in Britain but toured the Unites States to great acclaim six times between 1859 and 1877. His vision could see nothing good in the modern world, which was hurtling to destruction. Instead of becoming more virtuous, as the Enlightenment thinkers had hoped, humanity was becoming so depraved that God would soon be forced to intervene to smash their society, inflicting untold misery on the human race. But out of the fiery ordeal, the faithful Christians would emerge triumphant and enjoy Christ's final victory and glorious Kingdom."

When one finds out this information it removes the mystical aura that seems to surround the WT because their beliefs are by no means unique and by no means original. If the WT under the leadership of Russell, Rutherford, Knorr, etc,. possessed knowledge that no one else had one might make the claim that they were being directed by God. However, the true history concerning premillenialism and the spreading of such doctrine, is not something that the WT Society originated. At the very least, you could claim that the Wt Society were copycats. That would hardly qualify them to being God's chief and sole spokesmen.

By the way, does anyone know if Russell was familiar with Darby's message? Was he influenced at all by that or was it just the prevailing Protestant belief in premillenialism that Russell embraced?

Mr. Shakita

• Justin
    Justin

Mr. Shakita,

Others have answered your questions very well, but since you have asked me, I wanted to make some sort of reply. I don't recall the Society ever claiming that the pre-1914 period was peaceful. Perhaps they have, and someone can offer a quote. What they do is contrast the "wars and rumors of wars" in Matthew 24 with 'nation rising against nation.' (verses 6-7) They claim that previous wars were not so bad as the First World War, and therefore the "sign" of the last days did not appear until 1914. This is the contrast - between bad and worse, not between good (pre-1914) and bad (post-1914). But Russell didn't even have this contrast. He had to apply the earlier parts of the prophecy to general conditions throughout the Christian era, what he called "The History of Eighteen Centuries Briefly Foretold." (See The Battle of Armageddon, Study XII, "Our Lord's Great Prophecy.") Russell thought that the time of the end had begun in 1799, and the final part, the "harvest" period, had begun in 1874. Russell felt that the troubles of his own day were signs of the end, even if he did not use the same predictions as modern JWs do to prove that. Surprisingly, he also used some good aspects of his world prove that the end was near, which modern JWs do not do. For example, he thought that the words of Daniel, "many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased," (Dan. 12:4) referred to modern transportation and communication technologies (such as the railroad and telegraph). But he thought that too much leisure time created by modern conveniences would lead to the great trouble at the end.

Regarding Darby, I don't recall Russell ever acknowledging Darby personally. But neither was Russell as exclusive in his thinking as modern JWs. He acknowedged a debt to William Miller and even to Miller's disciple, Nelson Barbour, with whom Russell had ceased to collaborate. Russell had no idea of a true and exclusive organization, and believed that all who contributed spreading the "truth" concerning the end-times were his fellow laborers. If you study the Bible Student movement (the Bible Students have attempted to adhere more closely to Russell's original teachings than the JWs have), you will find that they acknowledge a debt both to Advent-type thinkers and also to earlier scholars who attempted to continue in the Reformation tradition. The idea of the exclusive "organization" is another post-Russell feature of JWs which should not be confused with his own thought.

• under74
    under74

Shakita-
    If you go to wikipedia.com you'll find a ton of information. Look up the Second Great Awakening, the Burned-Over District, The Great Apostacy,The Restoration Movement,and Darby. Darby believed in the rapture as far I know. Russell's beliefs were spawned from the Seventh-Day Adventists, which was from The Millerites which came out of the Burned-Over District.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit