Were you a janitor?

by AK - Jeff 11 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

How many, due to Watchtower restrictions on education, are or were janitors, bus drivers, waitresses, ect.

This is not to disparrage any of these honorable jobs - just wondering how widespread this was. I never attended a congregation where there were not several janitors. One brother in texas made a fortune in the cleaning business, and I was his Operations guy for a few years. But most struggled to survive till the big "A", which means they are still struggling.

Just curious.

Jeff

• upside/down
    upside/down

Sad but true! I was a lowly "janitor" and banked 6 figures for 5 straight years! Quit the biz after 16 years.

Now I'm Most Exalted Emperor Grand Poo Pa of my own little universe (having finally attained the level of "humility" needed when I was a janitor).

Now I just sit and chat on the computer while naves (still working on humility) serve at my beck and call.

Man I wished I would have taken the scholarship I EARNED and went to college.

Seriously- I wished I'd went to school (Actually I'm still interested in going Hmmmmm)

u/d

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I was never a janitor, but my janitor friend told me he was a maintenance engineer.

• Dustin
    Dustin

The only time I was a janitor, was at the circut assemblies. I always got stuck cleaning the toilets. I hated that job. I had to take their shit and clean it too.

Dustin

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I still am a waitress and I love it! I like interacting with people and having money in my pocket nightly.

That being said, it's not what I want to do forever. I'm putting myself through school so that I can have a real job.

I never knew any JW janitors, maybe my congregation was weird like that. Most of the elders had good jobs and some, like my father, were college educated.

• Englishman
    Englishman

There are NO janitors in the UK.

We only have caretakers.

..and fortnights.

Englishman.

• fifi
    fifi

Not a janitor, but part of an early morning cleaning crew in supermarkets. This left me time to do pioneering!!! When I think back .....

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I started housekeeping and ironing for pay when I was 16. When I got married, my husband was a janitor for a JW's small company. I worked with him, didn't get paid, but he got paid for full time and I helped cut his time down.

His boss died of a sudden brain hemmorage. My dad got him into the electrical union as a maintenance electrician.

Since he was on days, I got bored as a housewife, so I went to work as a file clerk in an insurance office. From there the rest is history, as I ended up working on computers in later years and then moved into the software industry. It was a natural migration for a electrician's daughter as he taught me to read electrical schematics, and how to use his power tools starting about 8 or 9 years old.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    There are NO janitors in the UK.

We only have caretakers.

..and fortnights.

Englishman.

Hey what a consequence - we don't have 'em down here either, not less they're on holiday from Noo York.

You do have bus drivers though - I was bought up 'on the buses' with reg varney (had dreams of being a bus conductor or at least playing with the ticket punch).

plumberbruce who'd watch a Jehovahs bus driver veeeery carefully

• Dansk
    Dansk

WOOOOOAAAAAA!

Welcome back UB! Missed ya!!

Ian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit