Dissing the WTS

by LittleToe 19 Replies latest jw friends

• upside/down
    upside/down

Being polite, warm and fuzzy is great. I was this way for 20 years (never cursed etc).

But I have found that the English language (as far as I am able to use it) is completely lacking at times to express the range and scope of what I feel and want to communicate. Expletives and derrogatory labels (while definitely overused and crude) seem to "fit the bill" at times.

I actually find some of the terminology I've learned here quite "polite" (ie.Dubs) considering what I'd rather say. Manners will always be in vogue. but certain sitch's call for more. I also find a momentary bout with Touret's(sp) Syndrome does wonders that even therapy didn't help.

Derrogatory terms highlite the extreme contempt one has (rightly so), and refuses to give the person or org. that they are used on, the honor and dignity that they DON'T DESERVE. Let's not forget who we're discussing, a group (cult?) that practices whole-sale undeserved shunning, elitism, judging, condemning, hypocricy, shows no mercy, destroys families and a host of other "heinous" crimes.

A spade IS A SPADE!

F'nA- u/d

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I just hope you stick around nonetheless!!

As for myself, I personally did not have as bad an experience as others (though I hated it for the most part), and I've been out for 13 years now, and within a year or two of leaving I basically forgot all about them! Only relatively recently did I become interested in them and dismayed (tho not surprised) at the passage of recent events. I don't feel bitterness and anger towards them from my own experience (tho I often imagine how happier my childhood would have been had my mom not gotten involved with them), because I recognize that it was a learning experience from which I drew some things I prize greatly -- such as learning to think more critically and giving me a strong interest in the Bible. Had I personally experienced true horrors in my past (such as abuse, shunning, etc.), I might still feel bitter but I didn't, and having a "worldly" father and a mother who did not insist too strongly on "spirituality" made things comparatively easier. My exit was also very painless. So my disdain is based more on what I have learned of others' experiences, of how cold and ruthless the organization has been, and how other people continue to get hurt in the name of religion.

• Gordy
    Gordy

Oddly enough even after what I have gone through with the WT, which includes not being able to speak to my wife and two daughters for the last 4 years.

I have never felt the need to call them names. I have always called them "Jehovah's WItnesses" "JW's" or "the Watchtower". I have referred to them as a "cult" as description of them.

But never felt inclined to refer to them as "Dubs" "Borg" etc.

Maybe its the English in me

But I'm half Welsh!

Also Dutch blood !

Also Great-Great Grandfather was a Jewish Rabbi.

God! no wonder I'm mixed up.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Thank you, Blondie, for "hoisting them with their own petard."

It's critical we all remember who is truly guillty of apostacy here.

Leaving the organization is a "high road" position by any measure, and it's "scriptural," too! Nice.

• upside/down
    upside/down

willy-

Ain't it da truth!

We are definitely on "higher" ground, CT Russel would approve...I'm sure!

u/d

• steve2
    steve2

There are so many variables that influence how individuals deal with their lives after leaving the JWs. Given that the JW environment itself is so conducive to blatantly aloof judgementalism and the apparent lack of love driving the judgementalism, it is no surprise that many who leave the organisation have lots of emotional pain and hurt. For them, the initial stages of recovery may entail expressing lots of good old fashioned anger. I would rather people express their anger through mediums such as this than they suppress it and end up hurting themselves more.

Anger, if drawn upon in a helpful way, is a very energising emotion. I like the way that people, who have been abused and downtrodden, can learn to draw upon their anger (after years of silence) and start re-building their lives in powerful new ways. Criticising the Watchtower without qualification or apology is an important way of learning to stand up for yourself. It would only ever be problematic if the person remained stuck in that mode for years and was unable to integrate their experience in a more rounded way (i.e., able also to acknowledge other emotions and yes, even good aspects of their involvement with the JWs).

I am much more worried about people who have left the organisation under tragic circumstances and who carry around inside all their pain and hurt but are just too afraid to make sense of it and who even remain under the "spell" of the Watchtower. In many cases, they turn their negative emotions upon themselves which in worst case scenarios leads to clinical depression and suicidal thinking. No, its far far healthier to let the anger out - "the abusers" need to be called to account. steve2

• moshe
    moshe

WE all heal in different ways- mine started on a Saturday morning in June of 1989, in Land-o-Lakes, FL.,when 2 elders paid a shepherding call on the Mrs. - poor wife had to live with an ex-JW who was happy to be out- Anyway, I was tired of all the meddling- and the frequent elder visits- I was ready and while Bro. Shawver was inside the house I slid a nice copy of penthouse magazine I had lifted from work-( the one about Rev. Swaggert's escapades) under the front seat of his Caddy- I wonder how he explained that to Sr. Zealous when it slid out during field service? I never told anyone about that until now. Confession is good for the soul they say :-)

shalom.

moshe

• franklin J
    franklin J

Ross,

as I look back over the passed 20 odd years I can say that there is no malice in my opinion of the JWs. The years tend to mend your hurt; temper it to the point where you CAN percieve the past for what it was; and make an objective statement based on your experience. This does not mean that I would justify ANY of the JW teachings, simply recognize them for what they actually are; striped of any spiritual manifestations.

Also, I have had so many positive experiences in my life since leaving the JWs; my wife ; my kids and my career; new friends ( stated in order of importance) that I can afford to be objective.

As we move on and move AWAY from the JW experience; we do change; our lives change and we can make a positive difference in our life.

Frank

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Thanks for your replies, guys!

I just wanted to respond especially to Frank, as someone who has been out for 20 years, seems very balanced in his posts, and now frequents this ex-JW board.

As we move on and move AWAY from the JW experience; we do change; our lives change and we can make a positive difference in our life.

It's nice to see that this is possible, whilst still being there for those who shared a common historic experience.
    I just wanted to highlight this for those who feel they can't have moved on until the leave boards like this.

That doesn't mean that I think that everyone who feels this way, or leaves once they have got everything they feel they need from this environment, is innately selfish. But I do see a certain philanthropy in hanging around to help others. I also see absolutely nothing wrong in just enjoying the company of folks that you've got to know over a period of time, just because they happen to have endured a similar past. Otherwise I guess we'd be condemning war-veterans the world over.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Many years out, and finally mellowing. Still hear the words from my grandfather, "river, get away from my doorstep." That's how I feel now, though as you said, "Bastards!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit