Dissing the WTS

by LittleToe 19 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I came to a stark realisation, this week, and it's simply this: I no longer feel any need to use derogatory terms about the WTS.

I had closure, from leaving the JWs, when I DA'ed January 2002. Around that time I accepted it as being a "cult", whereas before I used the term "high-control group". I started using terms such as "Borg" and "dub", to describe the WTS and JWs, and I really do think that helped the process of extracting indoctrinated ideas.

I hate what is being done in the name of that religion, but I see that in other religions, too. Other than the briefest of moments, I've seen fairly clearly that getting angry or obsessive about a corporate entity is a little futile. That isn't said by way of any kind of judgement on folks who are going through those cycles of grief, though.

There was a post over the last few days about moving on (it might have been in Bradley's thread) that caused me to reflect on the fact that I have little desire to use such terms in a pergorative sense. Whilst they do sometimes slip out, I find that I now generally use WTS and JWs (and have done for some time, I just hadn't noticed).

Does this mean that I think the WTS is any less destructive? Nope.
    Does this mean that I grieve for individual JWs any less? Nope.
    Does this mean that I've recognised another stage in my ex-relationship to that... f***ing mind-bending, hyper-destructive cult that assimilates all in it's path with abandon, spitting out the detrius of wasted human lives in it's wake??? B*st*rds, all of them!!!

Ooops

• blondie
    blondie

That may be true, but Jesus had some strong words to address the Pharisees and scribes with as a group. Gratuitous swearing is not necessary I agree.

"Serpents, offspring of vipers, how are YOU to flee from the judgment of Ge·hen´na? MATTHEW 23:33

23 "Woe to YOU, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because YOU give the tenth of the mint and the dill and the cumin, but YOU have disregarded the weightier matters of the Law, namely, justice and mercy and faithfulness. These things it was binding to do, yet not to disregard the other things. 24 Blind guides, who strain out the gnat but gulp down the camel! MATTHEW 23:23-24

25 "Woe to YOU, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because YOU cleanse the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of plunder and immoderateness. 26 Blind Pharisee, cleanse first the inside of the cup and of the dish, that the outside of it also may become clean. MATTHEW 23:25-26

33 "Serpents, offspring of vipers, how are YOU to flee from the judgment of Ge·hen´na? MATTHEW 23:33

YOU are from YOUR father the Devil, and YOU wish to do the desires of YOUR father. That one was a manslayer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of [the lie]. 45 Because I, on the other hand, tell the truth, YOU do not believe me. 46 Who of YOU convicts me of sin? If I speak truth, why is it YOU do not believe me? 47 He that is from God listens to the sayings of God. This is why YOU do not listen, because YOU are not from God." JOHN 8:44-47

and what did Paul say?

Now what I am doing I will still do, that I may cut off the pretext from those who are wanting a pretext for being found equal to us in the office of which they boast. 13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an angel of light. 15 It is therefore nothing great if his ministers also keep transforming themselves into ministers of righteousness. But their end shall be according to their works. 2 CORINTHIANS 11:12-15

But I am afraid that somehow, as the serpent seduced Eve by its cunning, YOUR minds might be corrupted away from the sincerity and the chastity that are due the Christ. 4 For, as it is, if someone comes and preaches a Jesus other than the one we preached, or YOU receive a spirit other than what YOU received, or good news other than what YOU accepted, YOU easily put up [with him]. 5 For I consider that I have not in a single thing proved inferior to YOUR superfine apostles. 6 But even if I am unskilled in speech, I certainly am not in knowledge; but in every way we manifested [it] to YOU in all things. 2 CORINTHIANS 11:3-6

Love, Blondie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Oh, the WTS has amply demonstrated hypocrasy, dissemination of lies, and total lack of care whilst in a position of trust, all right!

My recent revelation doesn't mean that I don't want it to curl it's toes up at the earliest opportunity, either.
    It also doesn't mean that I'm not gutted when I hear another story of another damaged life.

I am encouraged when I hear of how folks heal, though. It's great to hear how people are moving on and improving their lot. The best insult to the WTS is definitely a life lived well

• dh
    dh

I understand where you're coming from LT, I've actually never felt the need to diss them at all, I just do it because it's fun.

• blondie
    blondie

I have already gone through the healing process with the sexual abuse and alcohol abuse in my family. Spiritual abuse is just the next stage with the same tools. It's gets easier each time. But it isn't wrong to warn people about abusers and abusive tactics, how to heal.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Ross...good for you! That moving on process is a very wonderful feeling..very freeing. It sounds like you have worked thru what you needed to and are indeed at a much better place! Often times when people get to a "better place" they simply move on...what is nice to see is there are people (like you and many others) who extend their hands backwards to help others who are right beind make it up that hill of recovery.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

LOL @ Ross:

Does this mean that I've recognised another stage in my ex-relationship to that... f***ing mind-bending, hyper-destructive cult that assimilates all in it's path with abandon, spitting out the detrius of wasted human lives in it's wake??? B*st*rds, all of them!!!

Forget using words like B'org and ect.........with a potty mouth like that it all gets lost anyway.

Seriously Ross it's all part of the healing process and I think what works for one doesn't always work for another and then if you want to talk about time, well some heal faster than others and so it goes. I think the good thing is that finally we get to talk about the things that concern/bother us. We don't have to hold our tongues and practice Christian patience or wait on Jehovah to make it all better. We can take action to make our lives better. That's freedom!

Me I'm glad there are people like you on this forum who help those of us who have given up on god see another side, it ain't over 'till the fat lady sings.........

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

The only time I feel like dissing the WTS is after reading a post from someone that describes a painful experience they've undergone as a JW. Many of these experiences anger me and get my blood pressure up. Sometimes I think I should avoid them for the sake of my own health.

What is beginning to concern me more is the amount of time and energy I spend being an ex-jw. When I was a JW I spent less than 10 hours a week involved in the religion - 5 hours at meetings, 2 hours in service, and at most, 3 hours studying. I use up far more time being an ex-jw, reading and posting on different forums, reading books about the demerits of the WTS, complaining about the WTS, etc. I'm starting to think my preoccupation with being an ex-jw is actually hindering me from rebuilding my life.

It doesn't help that there's so little to do here at work. I spend all my time in front of the computer here, and I just gravitate to the ex-jw sites.

Walter

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I can understand how you feel.

I feel more like stating facts, and keep my emotions out of it. State things like "it's a cult" etc. The more I say things that are negative, and derogatory, it actually festers the bitterness inside me. I would much rather take the path of higher ground. Plus, I do believe people are more receptive to respectful intelligent comments than emotionally charged ones.

It's the same as the guy/girl who describe their ex as "crazy b*tch" or "freaking a*shole" that doesn't tell you anything about WHAT they did... but if you say "my ex was arrested for battery, the judge ordered him to anger management, and he did not pay child support" you are stating the facts and the listener can actually determine on their own what they are.

• Preston
    Preston

Push out the Jive....

Bring in the love....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit