What goes around, comes around ...... both ways????

by outbutnotdown 10 Replies latest jw friends

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

When most people use that expression: "What goes around, comes around", it seems to be used more in a negative way. For example, you find out Bob just ripped off something small from work. You and your co-worker don't necessarily want to rat on him so you use the famous "what goes around comes around" phrase.

But how often do we say it the other way around? An elderly lady is $2.50 short for her few groceries, so the guy behind her gives her the $2.50, realizing he'll never get it back. How often do we think, "what goes around comes around", as in that man will reap his reward later?

What about in big things in life where someone is going through hell? Do we automatically think he/she is getting what's been coming to them or do we sometimes think that, IF this person deals well with this challenge, he will reap a great reward later?

What do you think?

Brad

• glitter
    glitter

I don't think it's true in the way that The Universe is out to get or reward anyone, but it's certainly true that kind people make friends and nasty people make enemies.

I'd never say some random person having a hard time was getting what they deserved, but I'd definitely laugh at another's misfortune if I *knew* they were a total sod and were getting their comeuppance.

On the news there were people talking about how mosques and churches were still standing after the tsumani (in fact in some areas the only buildings intact) and of course this was nothing to do with quality of materials and design, it was because God *destroyed sinners and unbelievers* that day... ugh.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    What about in big things in life where someone is going through hell? Do we automatically think he/she is getting what's been coming to them

oh, Brad, i never think that...i don't see how anyone could... i mean, there's so much awful suffering in the world in places like the Sudan, and those people certainly don't deserve it, and children who suffer haven't lived long enough to hurt anyone.

IF this person deals well with this challenge, he will reap a great reward later?

and i don't think that either. i think we make our own "karma", though, in that if we're nice to people they are nice back, and if we're mean to people, they are mean back. but only if you are genuinely nice, and not being nice to reap a reward... one day i my son and i were in line at Mervyn's buying a jacket and pair of jeans... the jacket was rather expensive, but we were also spending a gift certificate. anyway, there was a new mother in front of us with her baby girl. she was buying a bunch of novelty pails and there seemed to be a problem with the pricing, because none of them were ringing up correctly, so the clerk was getting impatient because she had to ring each item separately. the baby started getting fussy and the mother turned around and apologized to us, saying how bad she felt because of the extra time she was taking and i said that's ok it's not your fault and my son started talking to the baby, making her laugh. finally the transaction was finished, and the mother turned around and gave us two coupons...one for $10 off and one for $5 off. i think that was her way of saying thank you, although she didn't have to thank someone just for being nice.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I feel much the way I & P put it;

i think we make our own "karma", though, in that if we're nice to people they are nice back, and if we're mean to people, they are mean back. but only if you are genuinely nice, and not being nice to reap a reward...

I can't remember the product in the commercial but it's the one where something awkward is said by one person to another and they come back with "thank you". And how it changes the whole scenario. I like that idea and have tried it and am always surprised with the response which has always been good. Kindness goes a long way and just feels better.

As far as this question:

What about in big things in life where someone is going through hell? Do we automatically think he/she is getting what's been coming to them or do we sometimes think that, IF this person deals well with this challenge, he will reap a great reward later?

I heard that a lot when I was a JW. Jah blesses those who sacrifice (servitude). I even had one elder tell me he lives the good life because he's serving Jehovah in a higher way as an elder.......yet I asked him, what about Brother ----- who is always out in service, at every meeting, well studied and comments, gives impromptu talks ect....but who hardly has two cents to rub together. Is Jehovah not pleased with his service? Give me a break. Speak of comeuppance, this egotistical elder fell on ill health and last I heard had to sell his car, boat, Harley and expensive house to live because he had no health insurance. Makes me go hummmmmm......... Maybe pride does goeth before a fall.

And then as far as meeting a challenge well, in my personal experience I've learned the most valuable lessons in my life by the suffering I went through and that is the reward for me.

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown
    And then as far as meeting a challenge well, in my personal experience I've learned the most valuable lessons in my life by the suffering I went through and that is the reward for me.

I agree wholeheartedly with that comment. I guess the point that I was trying to make the most was that sometimes it's hard for us to realize that WHILE the suffering is happening. The greater the suffering, the better the chance to become depressed and then the greater the chance to have irrational thinking like "I deserved it."

On the other hand, some people never learn lessons, and they seem to be the ones who laugh at others' suffering. Six months ago my five year-old daughter started crying (she was truly distraught), saying that she was upset that mommy, (my ex) and her friends, three days earlier, started laughing their heads off when my ex found out that my transmission broke down.

My daughter had no idea what a transmission was of course, she just knew that it was mean for mommy to laugh at her daddy like that. What some people do to their kids!!! Argghhhh!!!!!

Brad (of the "I needed to vent class"..... thanks )

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

Brad:

I am a firm believer in Kismet karma 'what goes around comes around" etc. In fact Kismet was the first alias I used here at Simons.

It will work out in the long run that your daughter will grow to hate the negativity against you and will be drawn to you as a result as long as you don't demonstrate the same hostility towards her mother. Kids are fiercely loyal and will resent either parent that constantly puts down or denegrates the other parent.

Both my sister and brother in law (who were in your congregation and bookstudy group) spoke highly of you. (North of GTA cong) I am confident that with time and great patience on your part your daughter will simply be drawn more towards the positive parent (YOU).

Kismet karma whatever, it will all work out.

Wishing you well

Uzzah

• dh
    dh

I always say 'what goes around, really goes around'

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

I tend to think it's true--because at least taking a positive action will give you a positive feeling.

Then there's the case of my "worldly" uncle, who shouldered the responsibility for caring for my "worldly" great-grandparents and great-uncle all by himself while my JW parents did their thing.

The year he retired, he won the lottery. Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy. He's finally getting to travel and see the world.

Jankyn

• upside/down
    upside/down

What goes around , comes around... I just hope penicillin cures it! lol

This might sound self-righteous, but I will speak strictly for myself...

If Karma or anything related to it is true--- than dude stick with me cuz I got a lot of good shit comin to me!! (with interest)!

Bad BAD things have happened to me and I did NOTHING to deserve it- I've done tons of GOOD things to others "just because" with no intent of ever being "paid back". I've wondered if I'm a wierdo for being like this (maybe I should be more selfish), but I just can't seem to be able to do it. I'm by no means perfect- BUT I"M GOOD GUY. As a Dub I was made to feel guilty about everything all the time, but the more people I meet and hear their stories I've come to the realization and conclusion I'm not near as bad as "religion" want me to believe.

God don't make junk!

u/d

• Dustin
    Dustin

I wish that was the case. It seems like people who bully others are usually the ones that reap the benefits, at least in the corporate world. Maybe those who do good deeds are rewarded in the end though. Guess I won't know until the afterlife.

Dustin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit