Media's coverage has distorted world's view of Iraqi reality

by Elsewhere 22 Replies latest social current

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    :Before any "arm chair experts" get too vocal, maybe they should "pony up the dough" and buy a plane ticket to Baghdad and stay a while, venturing out beyond the sphere of western protection and give a first hand report. That would shut the critics up. Ohh but you might get your ass kidnapped or beheaded by the "insurgents" you seem to have a love affair with.

::what a stupid ridiculous comment.

It's especially ridiculous in that the original criticism posted is criticism of the media. A media which indeed does "pony up the dough" and gets reporters right in there where the action is. Sadly and too often, reporters are killed. Sadly also, the political culture in the US causes the media to then NOT show, or over-editorialize and "soften", most of what they see.

And what do they see? Things like this:

alt

Chris Hondros/Getty Images

An Iraqi girl screamed Tuesday after her parents were killed when American soldiers fired on their car when it failed to stop, despite warning shots, in Tal Afar, Iraq. The military is investigating the incident.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Good point six.The mass media is really up against it a lot of the time.There was a good BBC1 programme on the other Night about the lot of the Frontline reporter.Not a lot of fun.many of the correspondents turned to Drink and Drugs after witnessing all kinds of Horrors.marital Problems were common too.

I wonder what the American and indeed British,Media could show if it was really given free reign.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

What did the the media show or tell us about Margaret Hassoon, the director of C.A.R.E. in Iraq and an Iraqi citizen, who was kidnapped, brutally tortured and left disemboweled on a street in Fallujah?

No. We only got the "santized" version. This is the first that I've heard that she was tortured and disemboweled. And she was an Iraqi with no politics behind her, only worked for a humanitarian organization to help the disenfranchised poor of Iraq.

What the media didn't show or write about were the two hundred-plus headless bodies found in the main mosque there, or the body that was put into a bread oven and baked.

Again.... that is news to me. "News" that isn't making it here or anywhere else.....someone must have an agenda, and apparently it is working.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Ho Chi Minh , leader of North Vietnam during that war said something like, " Some of our best soldiers are the students and war protesters in the U.S." It's truly sad, but so very true today.

• Simon
    Simon

What a numbskull !

He may like to think they are making cracking progress but since they turned up the Iraqi's have seen so much death and destruction that it makes Saddam look like Mother Terresa.

These Bozo's need to stop with the persecution complex, own up to the major fuck-ups they make and accept that they badly miscalculated and are now just looking for an easy way to bail out and run back home while saving face.

While the media is rightly critical theay cannot just stick the magic stamp of success on it, declare it a job well done and piss off home.

You cannot saturation bomb people and then expect them to be supportive or worship you for "saving them" from the asshole dictator that YOU supported.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Oh please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you believe HALF of what the media says, you my friend are sick in the head or naive. It's all business BIG BUSINESS!!!

They show what sells- period. There is so much news on any given day and it's always slanted to the rediculously sensational!

Since when is the BBC "gospel" (although I do favor their style of reporting)? CNN is a F'n JOKE!!! ABC,NBC and CBS I don't know of any of my acquaintences that even watch them anymore, their content and slant is abysmal.Their fare is for the "reality show" crowd and like newspapers written at a 4th grade reading level. Pure spit and polish.

We have more "liberal" Phd's in Boulder County per capita than anywhere in the USA so I'm surrounded by "intellectual thinkers" (their title of themselves, not mine) and you spew the same canned media given opinion they do. It's amazing that you marvel at how the Dubs practice mind control and yet the (for profit) media does no less and you eat it up like candy.

I re-iterate a previous fact- when the troops return en masse the truth of the matter will become evident. They can't all lie and they will affect future votes in this country. So if you're right- we'll win and if not we'll win... At least something good will come of it. I hope...

u/d

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Ho Chi Minh , leader of North Vietnam during that war said something like, " Some of our best soldiers are the students and war protesters in the U.S." It's truly sad, but so very true today. So true - but I truly get sick to the stomach when the liberal leftie media gets going I liked your post elsewhere

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

must not .....

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I have always said the truth is somewhere in the middle. I don't believe everything the media tells me but I also don't believe everything those war mongering hawks, that only want to justify their war, say. It is tragic that the media has been muzzeled from reporting the truth about this war, which leads to inaccurate reporting. The US can't have it both ways. Either they allow free flow of information or continue with the propaganda on both sides that we are getting now.

Will

• IronGland
    IronGland
    You cannot saturation bomb people and then expect them to be supportive or worship you for "saving them" from the asshole dictator that YOU supported.

There is no 'saturation bombing'. You supported him too. Actually the British hold a good bit of the responsibilty for the troubles over there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit