Deadly toys

by Elsewhere 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

One of my brothers enjoyed playing with Rattlesnakes. He'd catch one under a bucket, then scoop the lid under the bottom of the bucket, then all the brothers would stand around and throw pieces of gravel in the bucket to make it hiss. My Mother, just arriving home from the family business, nearly had a heart attack.

Another fun thing we did was take paint buckets and attach them to each corner of the clothes line (one of those clothes lines that looks like a wind blow umbrella that twirls around) put the younger kids in two of the buckets and pull it around by a chain, sending them straight out sideways. Lots of fun accidents with that one.

BB guns, of course.

We also enjoyed jumping off the peak of the roof into the snow pile below; putting each other in a metal trash barrel and rolling down the hill in it; shooting out streetlights; and setting field fires while burning insects with a magnifying glass. Yes, I am a former arsonist.

Our parents didn't buy us toys too often, so we made up our own fun. My Mother was a book worm and had her nose in the books alot of times, so she pretty much let us terrorize the neighborhood, as long as we weren't bugging her. We had more than one neighbor move out from next door.. hehehhe.

Country Girl

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

I caught my brother playing with one of those dress-up toy necklaces:

only it was too late. The beads were already broken off and he had one up his nose. He turned around to look at me when I cold-busted him and breathed really hard. That bead was stuck even more. My aunt was babysitting us and had to take him to the emergency room to get the bead out. It was funny to see him picking his nose continuously--for a different reason, though!

laters

kaykay_mp

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    Funny... my sister and I used to pretend to be beating up each other in the front yard... we were trying to get passing cars to stop so we could laugh at them.

That reminds me of getting 6-8 kids together, and pretending to have a tug-a-war across the road with an imanginary rope. It fooled a lot of people into stopping their cars, then screaming or swearing at us, once they realized they had been duped.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    That reminds me of getting 6-8 kids together, and pretending to have a tug-a-war across the road with an imanginary rope. It fooled a lot of people into stopping their cars, then screaming or swearing at us, once they realized they had been duped.

lmao! Thats pretty good!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

When we were growing up my dad was a Joiner/Carpenter. We used to love playing frisbee with the used powersaw disks. What's the problem with that???

Also we used to put empty glass milk bottles on fence posts, and set a cotton thread across the road at night, so that passing cars would drag them off. And don't get me started on the tripwire "granny-traps" that we used to set for our grandparents!!!

• HICFlyGirl
    HICFlyGirl

Little Toe, I am appalled. How could you do such a thing. Ha ha, just kidding.

I didn't do anything as a kid. I'm gonna go hide under the bed now.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I always loved the simple fun of playing with a magnifying glass on a bright, sunny day ... you could start all kinds of small fires.

Oh ... and you know those little green plastic army soldiers? We used to play "napalm" with them. Just add a little gasoline & toss a match on them.

Fireworks! Boys love fireworks! Take that model airplane that didn't come out quite right and strap a couple of M-80s under the wings ... light the fuses ... and throw it up in the air!

Slingshots & wrist-rockets were always fun ... especially when there were plenty of birds & squirrels around.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Salem:

Dan:
    Oh yeah, I forgot about fireworks.
    We once made a bazooka out of a piece of dad's copper plumbing pipe, to fire rockets.
    We also use to take bangers apart to make the gunpowder into a bigger explosive device...

Talking about fire and hot things, though: I once stole some magnesium ribbon from school and almost set the house alight experimenting with it on a wooden shelf...
    ...I loved Chemistry

• under74
    under74

I remember playing with the mercury from thermometers too...and my mom said I could...

I also remember us kids making a slip n' slide out of garbage bags and rocks. I still have scars, but we tried our best to make it like the commercial.

Playing in the sewage drain off ...because there were pollywogs there.

Freeze tag-- you were only considered good if you were willing to run out into the street.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit