Do Jehovah's Witnesses Depend on Mental Illness?

by metatron 38 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Is anyone really learning anything? or are they

just being programmed?

You know, I don't hardly ever recall a time when I felt Jehovah's spirit during the prayers. It just seemed like the brothers droned out the same dull prayers over and over again. I used to wonder why I didn't feel any of that holy spirit they were always asking for.

I think the way the Governing Body chooses to teach their flock causes them to become "faint with fear" and that moves on to mental illness and sorts of mean, nasty things including obsessions and phobias.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

My own condition (bipolar disorder) has gradually faded since I learned the truth about the troof, and now hovers in the background as more of a slightly heightened emotional state rather than the fullblown madness it was!

I assure you, it was real as hell. But over time I've even been able to learn to function without the meds (not easy, but doable). But if I were still trying to get to meetings, dealing with being diffed, and all the mindbending crap they pass off as the revealed will of God... well, I wouldn't be nearly as healthy as I am now!

CZAR

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I assure you, it was real as hell. But over time I've even been able to learn to function without the meds (not easy, but doable). But if I were still trying to get to meetings, dealing with being diffed, and all the mindbending crap they pass off as the revealed will of God... well, I wouldn't be nearly as healthy as I am now!

CZAR

Czar, my brother in law and nephew are bipolar. The only way they can make all those meetings is to be on disability. They are still nuts with anxieties, phobias and such.

I wanted to mention to you, too, allergies can trigger panic attacks per your bad day thread. ((((((Czar)))))))

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Thanks. This was an exellent read, and spot on!

Jean

Oh and...

I was on Zoloft, 100 mg/day for the last 10 years or so that I was a JW. I also weighed over 400 pounds.
    Ditto on the first count and roughly 280lbs.
  • czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Sometimes I listen to "Down with the Sickness" by disturbed, and when he goes on that screaming rant in the middle of it, I imagine somebody is screaming it at the Governing Body. Remember how they kept acting like our "Mother"?? Yep... it's eerie, but it gets me through.

Flying - I feel for you and your relatives. Managed to avoid the disability route so far, but not if I hadn't broken free of the dubs. Some people like to downplay the seriousness of what the religion does to people, I can only shake my head and say, "Well, it hurts more people in a more real way than they seem to realize"

Hm, I wonder if I am allergic to dogs?

CZAR

• one
    one

Metatron,

can you simplify, i wanted to reply but there were too many questions and situations to talk about...

• metatron
    metatron

I'm not sure what you're asking about - or what I could simplify. Briefly, I think that the WTS is exploiting obsessive

compulsive disorders for its own selfish ends. These disorders also relate to depression and perfectionism, which

are widespread in many congregations.

metatron

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Doesn't society (not the society) exploit the weak in general. Look at the army how can anyone with out OCD. and MD be happy there. When you are not killing or escaping being killed you are living an ocd wonderland. If it wasn't for the fact they studied how far they could push soldiers since 1914 (dramatic pause) more veterans would be put straight into mental wards just like they did in WW1. I think there is some conspiracy in government using religions to weed the normal people from the trash fish. So when they need bodies to pay taxes or fight wars, or buy bonds they already know by religious break down which people are 4f. Istead of having to pay to lock these people up or pay for their medical needs the unbiquitous churches doll out aid and time killers. The normals coddle the rejects. Every once in a while the rejects manage to built a multi billion dollar church that gives the government a bad rash.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Doesn't society (not the society) exploit the weak in general. Look at the army how can anyone with out OCD. and MD be happy there. When you are not killing or escaping being killed you are living an ocd wonderland. If it wasn't for the fact they studied how far they could push soldiers since 1914 (dramatic pause) more veterans would be put straight into mental wards just like they did in WW1. I think there is some conspiracy in government using religions to weed the normal people from the trash fish. So when they need bodies to pay taxes or fight wars, or buy bonds they already know by religious break down which people are 4f. Istead of having to pay to lock these people up or pay for their medical needs the unbiquitous churches doll out aid and time killers. The normals coddle the rejects. Every once in a while the rejects manage to built a multi billion dollar church that gives the government a bad rash.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit