What does God expect us to ask for in prayer?

by JH 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JH
    JH

Jesus said to pray continuously. I don' pray anymore because nothing happens no matter what I ask.

Ask for money, you won't get it because everyone wants money and it displeases God.

Ask for health, you won't get it because this is the old system and it's normal to be sick.

Ask for material things, and you certainly won't get it.

Ask for biblical truths, and you certainly won't get much.

Ask for wisdom, will you really get it?

So, what does God expect us to ask for in prayer that won't displease him, and that he will grant?

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

In Jesus' model prayer he asked for our daily bread and forgiveness. In John 17 he asked for God to protect his disciples from the evil one.

It is the spiritual we seek because it is only the spirit which gives life. It is God we seek because he loves us. It is our brother we seek because we love him. Money, health, material things, biblical truths, and even wisdom do not in themselves give us life or bring us closer to God. It is God you must seek not the things you mentioned.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:It is the spiritual we seek because it is only the spirit which gives life.

Could you elaborate on that please?

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

SixofNine,

When we pray we are in reality seeking God's spirit. Why? Because we lack. What do we lack? Life.

What life? Spiritual and physical life. We are not complete, we are not finished until we find that life.

But you do not believe as I do and so I am waiting for the other shoe to fall.

• upside/down
    upside/down

I've asked this question my whole life. I've never been one to pray for selfish things realizing that if prayers of a personal nature were to be answered then the hospitals of the world would be empty. Yet the Bible many times tells us it is proper to pray. Now I never pray in the formal way I was accustomed to. I'm not even sure I can describe it. It' almost a non-event, a mannerly thank you or simple inquiry.

I know the Bible repeatedly tells us to look at OURSELVES to get an inkling of how J would deal with us (ie. our children etc). I know that if I treated ANY human (wife, kids, friends, workmates, strangers etc) the way "God" treats me (and most everyone else) when it comes to forthright communication, I would be labeled a cold hearted bastard of the lowest ilk and uncouth, with no civility or manners.

If Satan and the demons can "talk" to their worshippers, why doesn't J? I do know this, I have prayed for my necessities and for "protection" form Satan and his "machinations". THIS PLEA WAS IGNORED. I BEGGED, and still no answer.

Now I know there are people out there who are sure "God" answers their prayers and can "prove" it. Funny how people of all "faiths" and even those with no faith, make this claim- of course asserting this proves they are "right". Hmmmm. Highly illogical and improbable. Good and bad things happen to everyone. what you attribute it to is your business.

I guess to answer the question ... NOT MUCH- I don't think He expects us to pray for much. Or it would be a much more results driven act, which it's not for most. Usually when we're praying, we know it's a "long shot", that's why we're praying!!!

u/d Making A Wish

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    I do know this, I have prayed for my necessities and for "protection" form Satan and his "machinations".

hmmm, and yet you are now out from under the JWs control..... sounds like an answer to me.

• upside/down
    upside/down

I stand corrected! And gladly... I actually was thinking that as I typed, didn't think anyone would see it. I was wrong.

But I pretty much stand by the rest of my comment.

u/d I Dunno

• PinTail
    PinTail

I look at it this way if I ask something out of line he just won't grant it in any way.

Basicly when I do pray which is not much, sometimes I ask for peace and for him to give me wisdom in dealing with others but mostly my kids, cause they cause me much grief. There is always a lot of thanking him, cause he has done a lot for me and I am a real character when it comes to being human, and of course I ask for mercy cause again I am a spiritual scoundrel but I don't want to be, the witness's done this to me by pissing me off.

• dh
    dh

ask for nothing, just talk

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

dh..very good response (and one that I agree with!). I don't believe that prayers for material possessions are answered. When I pray I pray that I be open to His will. I pray that for help to be the best person that I can. Just "talking",and sometimes when not finding words to say but having that spiritual connection w/your Higher Power and knowing that He/She/It is aware of what is in my heart, is enough for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit