Faith Healing

by Van Jay 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

"if its a genuine healing, then its from Satan. Miracles are not preformed here on the Earth anymore."

Isn't this exactly what the Pharisees said to Jesus? That he was expelling the demons by means of Beelzebub?

I'm not sure if I believe in faith healing. I've seen a few shows on TLC or the Discovery Channel where there has been the odd case of people, including children, who have been at death's door and suddenly their disease goes into complete remission. They interviewed the doctors who were leary to use the word "miracle", but what else would you call it?

It could be a rare case where the body can some how heal itself, or maybe prayer does work in the odd case, who knows? But I truly believe that all of that crap that you seen on Benny Hill and other fake evangelists are all just a frigging hoax. In fact, there was something on Dateline or 20/20 about it where they exposed it all as a hoax.

Best example of "faith healing" I saw was in Fletch Lives

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    My best friend swears up and down he saw a paraplegic wheel down to the front of the church and walk back.

Why don't you track this guy down and see if he is running marathons these days... something tells me that he is still in a wheel-chair.

These faith healers could make quite an impact in a hospital emergency room... yet I've never seen one there. I'd love to see a protruding compound fracture healed with the wave of a hand.

Better yet... I'd like to see an amputee grow a new arm or leg.

My point is that these "faith healers" only seem to be able to heal "hidden" aliments... things that cannot be directly observed. (Nothing like a burst of adrenaline to get a crippled person to stumble around on stage for a few seconds).

• Satanus
    Satanus

Satan shmatan. So, according to the wt, satan does good things that jehovah refuses or is unable to do. Makes perfect sense. Jehovah has gone into retirement.

I attended those kinds of churches for a while. I never did see a physical type miracle while there. While i don't believe the theology, i believe that physical healing miracles do occassionally happen. But, most of those faith healers are scammers.

S

• Dansk
    Dansk

I'm off to spiritual healing this evening! It DOES work, believe me. Whenever the healers put their hands near/on me I feel the most incredible surge of heat and my health has been improving of late.

Well, if Satan is responsible for making people better he must be a good guy! Besides, knowing what we all know about Watchtower now I have to ask who really is the evil one? I've had nothing but pain and heartbreak from JWs, but 'Satan' (supposing he is behind spiritual healing) is making me healthy and happy.

Ian

• Raphael
    Raphael

Jesus certainly does warn that there would be false prophets , who would perform powerful works in his name ...I undersatnd these works would include healing...the scriptures also teach that Satan transforms himself into an angel of light...he will seemingly do good if it achieves his purpose in futher deception of the masses..hence it is wise to test every spirit...a christian is lead by Holy Spirit and the Spirit gives discernment in this area.

• heathen
    heathen

Mary ----

But I truly believe that all of that crap that you seen on Benny Hill and other fake evangelists are all just a frigging hoax

I think you mean benny hinn not benny hill . LOL

BTW --- when jesus said that his followers would do greater things than what he had performed , I think that was the passage when he cursed the fig tree , people will never match the greatness of jesus miracles of raising the dead who were dead for several days such as the lazarus situation. The speaking in toungues as I remember was later to only be used in front of non believers such as the apostles ability to speak to various peoples in the process of conversion . The use of prophesy was to be used only for the church to ubuild peoples hope in the promise . I've known people that were bilingual from years of exposure to various languages who thought they were speaking in toungues , I wouldn't be convinced myself that the spirit had directed them to speak in a toungue that I couldn't understand .

The faith healing seems to be another misuse and misunderstanding of scripture . The saints were instructed to grease an ailing persons head and then a confession of sins was to take place and then they were to pray over the person who was ill . I've never seen anybody confess sins on any of these faith healing shows nor was anyone having their head greased with oil .

I would have to say that if you can't follow the instructions at least, then it's obvious that you are a charlaton . These people that live in shameless luxury are also violating the bible rule of not using these gifts for personal gain but only out of love for fellow believers . IMHO ...............

• Mary
    Mary
    I think you mean benny hinn not benny hill . LOL

Oh my god, you're right!! LMAO!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The WTS isn't alone in it's belief that "the gifts" have passed away.
    The doctrine is called cessationism, and is usually held by denominations that are dispensationalist.
    It's usually based on an out-of-context (IMHO) reading of 1.Cor.13:8 .

Having seen such a healing take place before my eyes, of a friend who had a medically recorded ailment, I have no doubt that such things do take place.
    What confuses the issue, for Christians, is that it isn't limited to the Christian religion...

• coldfish
    coldfish
    I've never seen anybody confess sins on any of these faith healing shows nor was anyone having their head greased with oil

interesting you should say that, 2 weeks ago at church the pastor greased my head (and others) with oil as is directed in James and prayed over us. So there are churches that follow the directions.

• Released
    Released

I attended my first service last night in which the laying on of hands was used. When they called those of us that wanted healing(spirtually or physically), my wife immediatly went to the front, I followed thinking--There's no way i'm going down!--when the healer got to me he asked me if i had accepted Jesus in my life and I told him not in the way your thinking.

He then said a prayer with me and told me how much god loves me and when he touched me I could not stand up! I took a step back and my knees gave way and down I went! whats more it took acouple minutes before i could get back to my feet but even then I still didnt have my wits about me.It was the strangest feeling I've ever had! I would not have believed if it had not happend to me.

Released

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit