High rates of depression in Org.

by chuckyy 72 Replies latest watchtower medical

• steve2
    steve2
    On a side note I read a book I think called Secret Sisters about the high rates of depression and hospitalizations in the Mormon Organization. It was a very interesting read. Has anyone written anything like this about JW's?

Good post Why Georgia. I like your balanced approach. I haven't read any books that have specifically focused on rates of mental illness among JWs, although some, such as The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses have discussed in more general mental health problems in the organization (the authors' names elude me at present). I'm inclined to think that rates of depression in the general population are either more visible than they once were (because it's more acceptable nowadays to talk about this topic) or people's compressed competitive lifestyles contribute to an increased incidence.

As I've stated on other posts, I personally don't think any religious group is exempt from mental illness. In fact, a few years ago, whilst browsing at books in a Christian bookstore I cam across a book entitled Why Christians Crack Up. I wished I'd bought it. Has anyone else heard of this book?

I agree that there are significant mental health problems among the Witnesses. But, what sometimes gets to me are ex-JWs who claim that rates of mental illness are higher among the JWs than in the general population. To my knowledge, there is a complete absence of scientific and validated research to back up such comparative assertions.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Depression is good. It means the body is starting to assert itself. Depression is a door to authenticity. Unfortunately some don't make it through the door. There probably isn't enough depression among JW's.

• upside/down
    upside/down

While true that there is mental illness among all faiths and there isn't a lot of "scientific" proof that the Dubs have higher incidence of MI, the opinion of many is not without merit.

While my opinion is not scientific nor by any means gospel it represents what I observed. For what that's worth? And at the mouth of MANY witnesses surely there must be some accuracy- let the reader use discernment (lol).

I'm not a hermit and I interact with a lot of people, some of these deal with mental illness. The difference I've observed with the Dubs is that while some do truly suffer mental illness of the variety common to all, MANY have induced mental illness! They develop it as a mental protection that spares them from shunning, meeeting attendance and the "voluntary" preaching work. A host of personal "weaknesses" can be covered over with MI. After all who wants to maltreat a "sick" person, even the Dubs make some exception for this. It is obvious that many witnesses can't live up to "the standard" and as such eventually "wear out" and start showing signs of mental illness, it's inevitable. It's like the honest person that goes to a "faith" healer and isn't healed- of course the healer blames the person for not having enough faith! This sends an honest hearted person into a tail-spin as they are perplexed and begin to doubt themselves. How convenient for the "faith" healer and how devastating for the person not healed.

In the Dub world nearly everyone is suffering (usually self diagnosed) from mental illness or a dubious "syndrome" all with the same goal- to get them off the hook with their fellow Dubs and not to be labeled as "weak", it is very PC. Out in the old "world" on the other hand it seems to be the exception rather than the norm. And most people don't wear MI as a badge like many Dubs do. Almost like a chip on their shoulder.

Strictly my un-professional opinion.

u/d

• willyloman
    willyloman

Steve2: The reason there are no objective scientific studies is found in another thread on this forum, containing the 2001 letter from the GB to "all bodies of elders" which prohibits cooperation with researchers. Here's the link to the letter:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/84051/1.ashx

• steve2
    steve2
    Depression is good. It means the body is starting to assert itself. Depression is a door to authenticity. Unfortunately some don't make it through the door.

Depression is the clinical disorder with the highest rate of suicide and homicide. It is not good, as anyone who has struggled with this disorder or lived with someone struggling with this disorder would testify. Helping a depressed individual begin to sort out their emotions and more constructively express those emotions is good. That is the door to autheniticity. Depression has been called, "Anger against others turned inwards". Therefore, encouraging the sufferer to learn healthier ways of increasing their awareness of their emotions - especially anger which is a wonderfully energising emotion, if used wisely - and helping people learn what their needs are offer constructive ways out of the mire. The clinical research shows that depression responds well to focused cognitive-based therapy.

• steve2
    steve2
    While true that there is mental illness among all faiths and there isn't a lot of "scientific" proof that the Dubs have higher incidence of MI, the opinion of many is not without merit.

I have absolutely no argument with this. Personal experience and observation are valid. What I have more trouble with is those mental health professionals who, based on their clinical experience, make assertions about JWs having higher rates of mental ilness than the general population. As I have stated in earlier posts, such assertions deserve credible scientific corroboration. Beyond this, there is the whole vexed issue of why rates might be higher in one group compared with another. Given that many mental ilnesses have a genetic component, ot could be argued that mentally ill people are attracted to end-times messages, for example. Or that internal stressors induce mental ilness in vulnerable people. Again, people's experiences and observations are valid, but cannot be passed off as if they are universally true, because another person can come along and say, "Hey, I was into drugs and alcohol before I studied with the witnesses. Now, they've helped me clean up my life." And so on and on it goes.

Willyloman, I acknowledge the Watchtower's instructions are an impediment to scientific inquiry, but in its absence (for whatever reason), mental health professionals are better to err on the side of "anecdotal evidence". In other words, because a topic cannot be reliably surveyed does not open the door to my stating that something must be the case (e.g., higher rates of mental ilness among the JWs)

• upside/down
    upside/down

You know I was severelly depressed (homicidal/suicidal) at several times. This is totally out of my nature as I have never suffered this before. But circumstances overwhelmed me and I just couldn't handle it anymore- still struggle with it.

I went to the BEST doctors, psychologists, and psychiatrists- money was no object! They could not "cure" my depression. No amount of medicine or psycho-babble brought any relief and many times I felt even worse. Then after 2 years of "treatment" my docs, in unison, all asked me how come my "church" wasn't helping me? That people in my state usually need and benefit from a spiritual connection and people of that sort. I was too embarrassed to tell them I was a Dub (spare the bOrg. the repraoch- you know).

"Anger against others turned inwards" - that was me to the tee!!!

The Dubs offer NOTHING to help with this- actually that is their counsel "keep it in, wait on J" etc.

When I finally shook the Dub stranglehold, I experienced almost instant relief! Every day gets better and better. When I so much as meet an old Dub "acquintance" I can feel the depression creeping up, and I beat it back as best I can. They are bad for me, so I stay away.

Never Again,

u/d

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

High rate of pressure = High rate of depression

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

The congregation I go to has a lot of people sick and on medications, a lot of depression there too.

I don't know if they'd be any better anywhere else, though. These are just sick people that would be sick regardless of their faith anywhere.

DY

• steve2
    steve2
    I don't know if they'd be any better anywhere else, though. These are just sick people that would be sick regardless of their faith anywhere.

Doubtfully Yours: What a powerful observation. I came to pretty much the same conclusion in my then local congregation. While there is no denying that the Watchtower's teachings are often antithetical to good mental health, there also seems to be a susceptibility factor at work as well: People who came into the organization, actually brought big problems with them that the elders were powerless to help them constructively address. It makes sense: A religion that focuses on how bad the world is and how there is nothing we can do to help the system is going to attract people of a similar mindset: The "what's the use" moan and groan brigade. The JW message seemed unable to reach into these people's psyche, and so the mental health difficulties remained virtually untouched

Having said this, I also knew that many other people in the congregation would actually be better off simply changing their environment (i.e., getting away from the oppressiveness of the kingdom hall). U/d - you seem to be someone who is not predisposed to depression, but given the right circumstances, would develop it. You found the right solution: leaving. That in itself is an empowering act. But, I have to humbly admit that there were significant numbers of other JWs whose mental health difficulties I suspected would probably persist even once they left the organization. I'm uneasy about "blaming" the Watchtower for this, because some of these people struggled with mental health issues before they became witnesses and some came from families whose members had a history of mood and/or anxiety disorders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit