High rates of depression in Org.

by chuckyy 72 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Rod P
    Rod P

Hi People!

Just wondering. I am busy telling my story, but don't want to "hog" this thread about "High rates of depression in Org." There is a lot of what I am saying that is about this whole matter of Depression, and that is where I first started here. There is also a whole lot that seems to have no bearing on this subject, but in the end you will see how it all ties together and is relevant to the topic. On the other hand, I am wondering if I should move over to another location, or should be starting my own "thread". If so, how do I switch over to that without now losing continuity with what I have started? I don't want to be in the way of all you who want to discuss or comment about a lot of other aspects of "Depression in Org." Any comments or suggestions?

Regards!

Rod P.

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

Maybe starting your own thread would be better - a lot of people may miss what you have to say here, and that would be a pity

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

There is definitely a high rate a depression in the JW's. Also if there is an article in the AWAKE about some disorder 1/3 of the people will say they think they have it. In retrospect if you are sick with something that gives you an excuse not to have to go out in service as much, and to be able to miss a few meetings. So they say they have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or whatever the latest Syndrome. Because deep down no one really enjoys all those meetings and or Field Service. If they are sick though they can make and excuse and try not to feel guilty about not going.

• Rod P
    Rod P

Thanks to "The Edge" for the suggestion of starting my own thread.

It has taken a few tries to figure things out, but I have now managed to paste my posts over to my own new thread. If interested, they are now located at "Personal Experiences & Reunions" under the topic: "X-JW , X-Mormon & More OR: Around the World's Religions in 60 Years".

There are a few pastes floating around somewhere while I tried to do this, but have no idea where they went to. Please forgive my "learning curves", if you should run into them.

Anyway, now I can get out of your collective ways on this important subject of "Depression in Org." No doubt I will visit this topic along the way.

LOL

Rod P

• steve2
    steve2

Rod P: I have really appreciated reading though your posts and look forward to following through as you tell us more! steve2

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Welcome Rod and GoodGirl.

Every one of the regular pioneers in my old congregation, male and female were on antidepressants or valium at one point in time, or drank themselves silly. I kid you not.

I had the Elders tell me that my ex did not have a drinking problem even though he could bag a case of beer in an evening 4 nights a week, because 'he could go for a day without a drink'. The elders used to get so blitzed at the pizza joint in Ukiah in the 70's and 80's that they had been asked not to bring the group back more than once. LOL

Meanwhile, the 'weak' in the congregation were getting their lives together to focus on their families, careers, and the future. Go figure.

Blondie, I know what you mean about the popular illnesses. Although it irritated the hell out of me when perfectly healthy people would 'hijack' a condition that has made my life complicated at times, I didn't blame them. All they had to do to excuse thier lack of time card hours was to say, 'oh, I'm in a flare', and all was forgiven.

Jean

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I have written before about my husband side of the family being chronically depressed and suffering from multiple mental illnesses.

They really weren't so unusual from any of the other people at the hall.

I think too much expectations of perfection and never being able to live up to the SUPER WITNESSES in the congregations makes most people feel horrible about themselves.

I do not think that Jehovahs Witnesses are so unusual though with the high rates of depression. I think as a society there are more and more depressed people because everyone is trying to do everything, get everything, and be everything.

On a side note I read a book I think called Secret Sisters about the high rates of depression and hospitalizations in the Mormon Organization. It was a very interesting read. Has anyone written anything like this about JW's?

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Welcome Rod P and TGoodGirl !!!

• Fleur
    Fleur

Welcome to the forum new folks!

Gary, those links are great, thank you I hadn't seen them before!

How could you be a JW and NOT be depressed? There is nothing about the environment, teachings, or shepherding tactics that foster well being, security, or happiness. No wonder they're all depressed.

I think that somewhere, most JW's know that they are being lied to/played by the GB and the teachings...and living a lie is a quick, short route to misery.

Only, when they have doubts, they're programmed to believe it's THEIR failing, not the cults. Devious and detestable.

~essie

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yer welcome Essie, As Witness people, we were trained to hold two important but conflicting points of view at the same time, like the Governing Body is to be believed as though they have not taught any error in the past, that religious error is a lie and hated by God, and the counter view, the Governing Body has taught error in the past but they have scriptural precedent and they are only imperfect men . . . . that, Jehovah gives them new light when he wants to do so.

The Catholics teach error and that error is proof they can't have "the truth". Jehovah's Witnesses teach error that has required correction again, and again, and again, and those corrections of error are proof that Jehovah's Witnesses have "the truth".

As Witnesses we were motivated to hide depressions and dissatisfactions so as not to risk falling out of social or privilege favor. Those denied feelings came out as physical illnesses, headaches, back pains, sleeplessness, many others. The physical illnesses were acceptable to the group members while mental illness is not acceptable to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit