It's freezing!! I love it!! My backyard rink!!

by outbutnotdown 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Poztate
    Poztate
    said it last year and I'll say it again.......... I just love my backyard rink..

Hell Yes....Any good Canadian would love his outdoor rink.It's only in Canada we can have this pleasure for 9 monthsout of the year.

POZ....Of the grew up on the prairie's class

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    I taught all of my children (4) how to skate on my backyard rink. Besides that, the life-lessons that they have learned extend beyond what words could express.

I never thought that I would be so passionate about a rink, yet, I feel that it is a display of my love/dedication to my children that I needed to share it.

how wonderful! i can just hear everyone laughing and having a great time. i luv skating...

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown
    how wonderful! i can just hear everyone laughing and having a great time. i luv skating...

Thanks I&P,

There's room for you to throw your skates on and skate with us.

Brad

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Yeah, Bikerchick and I have our own backyard rink. And frontyard rink, and street rink, and freeway rink. We got freezing rain this morning and everything is iced up. Not supposed to stop raining, nor start thawing until late tomorrow. Burrr

Freezing rain: Rain that is still liquid when it hits and freezes on impact

Sleet: Rain that is frozen before it hits - ice pellets

Blackice: Water that freezes on roadway and is black and just looks wet.

And Portland, Oregon is hosting the Int'l Ice Skating Championships.... An Ice Event during an Ice Event!

Burrrr - here kitty kitty kitty, I have a "warm" lap for you!

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    My son's hilight of the year so far was that they ALL got the MVP award when they won 1-0. It's beautiful to see them respecting each other in such a positive way.

Life isn't always so different from sports - it's just slower. You can ups and downs in a season and end up improving so much and being rewarded for it. In life a "season" my be years or decades.

Brad if you are building them rinks, teaching them to skate, going to their games, delving into life's lessons - that's a pretty good start into having a good "season" as a dad.

Enjoy every fricking second of it because there are only a few years that they need, then want us around - in this way.

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown
    Brad if you are building them rinks, teaching them to skate, going to their games, delving into life's lessons - that's a pretty good start into having a good "season" as a dad.

Enjoy every fricking second of it because there are only a few years that they need, then want us around - in this way.

confusedjw,

Shhhhh!!!!! Don't tell me that they might not want me around shortly. It may be true, but I will gladly live in my "other" world for now.

Still, your son got both goals!!!????? Awesome!!!! You must be so proud.

Brad

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I am pretty proud. He's leading the team in scoring as a sophomore and he only started playing last year. He played pond hockey with some brothers and me when younger, but never anything organized. He tried out for the HS team last year and ended up on the second line by mid season and he's the center of the top line now. We are 4-4 as a team, but have won 4 in a row. Due to not playing youth hockey, he's not as smooth as he should be, but he's got a nose for the goal and doesn't let anyone cross the red line uncontested.

What age are your boys?

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

confusedjw,

My sons are 10 and 7. My daughters are 6 and 4. Last year, my four-year-old (then 3) learned to skate on her own. I was SO proud.

My 10 year-old has been raised by my ex mother-in-law (who is a JW) and hates sports due to that. My seven-year-old son just loves hockey.

It is very nice to hear stories like those of your son. It's never too late. Of course I consider hockey as simply being a means for my children to express their deepest emotions. I just want them to feel OK about expressing those feelings. Thanks for your thoughts.

Brad

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

We are BIG hockey fans here (and this year sucks w/no professional hockey to watch!). Nathan started hockey when he was 4..this is his second season. Not sure how serious we are about persuing this, but to get him involved in it has been fun. There is nothing cuter than seeing these little kids w/breezers on! hehe...

We are fortunate enough to have a nice sized pond in our backyard. My husband runs a hose thru one of the back windows out to the pond to water it after it starts to ice to make it nice and smooth. The kids have a lot of fun messing around on it. It is pretty cool to have a rink right in a person's back yard!

When I was younger I took many years of figure skating lessons (go figure...lol) and LOVE skating. All three of our kids learned how to skate at an early age and my husband also learned to skate young and play hockey. It is a nice family activity.

Here are some pics of our rink and lil' Nathan...Jim, my husband, made the support bar at work for Nathan to help him learn how to skate. Took Nathan all of two weeks before he ditched it! hehe

Even moms have fun on backyard rinks! hehe

Of course, there is always our "indoor faux rink"...aka KITCHEN, where some practicing goes on! hehe

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman
    Does the balance on my Visa statement or the overdraft on my chequing account count?

lol, sounds familiar....

Scootergirl, I love the pictures.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit